Author Topic: Jo Jo Finally in Hall!!!  (Read 5658 times)

Re: Jo Jo Finally in Hall!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 04:06:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Let's not forget Jo Jo's accomplishments in college or the fact he was in the "Chris Bosh Third Banana" role for most his time in Boston as Havlicek and Cowens were the go to guys of those Jo Jo Celtic teams. His overall stats don't go far enough in telling his importance to the team or the level of overall player he was at the time. Judging Jo Jo by stats alone is probably why it has taken such a deserving ball player this long to deservedly get enshrined.

JoJo Elected to the NBA Hall of Fame!
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 04:33:56 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Hallelujah!  Congratulations JoJo!  A true professional through and through.  Deserved to be there 20 years ago.  Quite an honor.... I'm thrilled he's in. 

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 05:11:03 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Am I wrong to compare the two?  If so is Billups case as strong (or almost as strong) as White's?  I know I never really viewed Billups as a HOFer.  (And coincidently, they're both ranked right next to each other at #81 and #82 on basketball reference's Hall of Fame probability list.)

I think that a 7-time All-Star (out of 11 years) + 2 time champion > a 5-time All-Star (out of 17 years) + 1 time champion

If Billups had to play JoJo's minutes, he would've hung it up much earlier.

JoJo White was an absolute iron man in his day - and a pure competitor.

Dude had to play at a crazy speed on those teams. They liked to RUN!

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 05:49:16 PM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
Quote from: Roy H. on Today at 02:31:57 PM
Quote from: Moranis on Today at 02:29:24 PM
Quote from: Roy H. on Today at 01:41:30 PM
Well-deserved.  I'm not sure what took so long, but at least they finally got it right.

I'm glad he's going in with Tommy.  I could have done without Calipari and Bavetta, though.
well deserved?  Jo Jo White is one of the least deserving members of the HOF.  Yeah he had 7 all star games, but he was almost never in the top 10 of any statistical category, never won any post-season awards, was never on a post-season team, and statistically didn't exactly finish with a monster stat-line.  I mean does 17.2, 4.9, 4.0 scream HOF to you?  Jo Jo was a darn good Celtic, but he doesn't belong in the HOF.  He just doesn't.

7-time all-star, two titles, Finals MVP, plus a two-time NCAA All-America.  That's HOF to me, yes.

(I'm confused about the bolded part above.  He's got two rings and was Finals MVP.  What other post-season accolades should he win?)
I meant all league team (I guess just calling it a post-season team wasn't very clear).  So he was never among the 10 best players in the league in any season.

He was never a league leader and only finished in the top ten in a couple of stats a couple of times. 

Jo Jo was a good player with a fine career, but he doesn't belong among the greatest players in basketball history, which is what the HOF is supposed to represent. 

Take a guy like Slater Martin.  7 all star appearances, 5 titles, 5 2nd team All NBA, 7 times in the top 10 for assists per game.  He isn't in the HOF and his credentials are better than Jo Jo White.

Please man...get your story checked. Never top 10 players in the NBA?
He was 2 time All-NBA second team...so basicaly 2 time Top 10 NBA player
Always played better in playoff. 2 NBA titles, 1 MVP finals
Very Solid NCAA career.
Olympic gold as the second best US player.
If Celtics fan thinks that low about one of our legends...then i understand why NBA took so long for select him.
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 06:01:29 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Jo Jo's enshrinement in long overdue and well deserved.

Bavetta being in is a joke.

Cal shouldn't ever be in.

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 06:08:20 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
JoJo White!  Well deserved. 
Dave Cowens when asked how his championship team (with jojo) would have faired against the last celtic championship team with garnett, pierce and allen
"we would have run them into the ground" without hesitation

classy guy who deserved to be in the hall long ago

pit :-X no and calipari ugh they are what is wrong with college hoops (and yes i know some things from providence college days)

but forget those two morons
congratulations to our point guard!  his stats while really good could have been even better if he was the #1 or #2 option, many times he wasn't even #3 but 4
love the tommy ball!

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 06:25:29 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
JoJo was my favorite player in the 70's.  Loved listening to him score!!  "JoJo stops, pops, Bang!"

I am not one who cares much about HoF but am grateful for the thrills JoJo gave me and very happy for him.

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 06:54:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Well deserved .....past due ......IMO