Author Topic: Jo Jo Finally in Hall!!!  (Read 5685 times)

Jo Jo Finally in Hall!!!
« on: April 06, 2015, 11:47:48 AM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
Jay King ?@ByJayKing 5m5 minutes ago

RT @JeffZillgitt: Jo Jo White elected to Basketball Hall of Fame.

Re: Jo Jo Finally in Hall!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 11:55:10 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Full class according to USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2015/04/06/john-calipari-naismith-memorial-basketball-hall-of-fame/25358365/

Calipari, who has led three schools to the Final Four — UMass, Memphis and Kentucky — joined 10 others elected during an announcement ceremony Monday. Others inductees were Jo Jo White, George Raveling, Dikembe Mutombo, Spencer Haywood, Louis Dampier, referee Dick Bavetta, Lisa Leslie, Tom Heinsohn, Lindsay Gaze and John Isaacs.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 12:02:57 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
... and now he's not famous for anything.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 12:26:59 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1672
Wait... referees can get in the HoF?  Aside from longevity, is there anything in particular that qualified Bavetta for entry?  I have nothing against the guy, but I honestly couldn't tell you if he was good or bad or even how to evaluate him. 

Strange admittance there, in my opinion.

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 12:53:01 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
... and now he's not famous for anything.
Poor guy

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 01:36:13 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Awesome!  Jo Jo White was my first favorite player.  I knew I was rooting for greatness ;-)

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 01:41:30 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Well-deserved.  I'm not sure what took so long, but at least they finally got it right.

I'm glad he's going in with Tommy.  I could have done without Calipari and Bavetta, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 02:29:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Well-deserved.  I'm not sure what took so long, but at least they finally got it right.

I'm glad he's going in with Tommy.  I could have done without Calipari and Bavetta, though.
well deserved?  Jo Jo White is one of the least deserving members of the HOF.  Yeah he had 7 all star games, but he was almost never in the top 10 of any statistical category, never won any post-season awards, was never on a post-season team, and statistically didn't exactly finish with a monster stat-line.  I mean does 17.2, 4.9, 4.0 scream HOF to you?  Jo Jo was a darn good Celtic, but he doesn't belong in the HOF.  He just doesn't.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 02:31:57 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

well deserved?  Jo Jo White is one of the least deserving members of the HOF.  Yeah he had 7 all star games, but he was almost never in the top 10 of any statistical category, never won any post-season awards, was never on a post-season team, and statistically didn't exactly finish with a monster stat-line.  I mean does 17.2, 4.9, 4.0 scream HOF to you?  Jo Jo was a darn good Celtic, but he doesn't belong in the HOF.  He just doesn't.

7-time all-star, two titles, Finals MVP, plus a two-time NCAA All-America.  That's HOF to me, yes.

(I'm confused about the bolded part above.  He's got two rings and was Finals MVP.  What other post-season accolades should he win?)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 03:13:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

7-time all-star, two titles, Finals MVP, plus a two-time NCAA All-America.  That's HOF to me, yes.

(I'm confused about the bolded part above.  He's got two rings and was Finals MVP.  What other post-season accolades should he win?)
I meant all league team (I guess just calling it a post-season team wasn't very clear).  So he was never among the 10 best players in the league in any season.

He was never a league leader and only finished in the top ten in a couple of stats a couple of times. 

Jo Jo was a good player with a fine career, but he doesn't belong among the greatest players in basketball history, which is what the HOF is supposed to represent. 

Take a guy like Slater Martin.  7 all star appearances, 5 titles, 5 2nd team All NBA, 7 times in the top 10 for assists per game.  He isn't in the HOF and his credentials are better than Jo Jo White. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 03:19:17 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I meant all league team (I guess just calling it a post-season team wasn't very clear).  So he was never among the 10 best players in the league in any season.

He was never a league leader and only finished in the top ten in a couple of stats a couple of times. 

Jo Jo was a good player with a fine career, but he doesn't belong among the greatest players in basketball history, which is what the HOF is supposed to represent. 

Take a guy like Slater Martin.  7 all star appearances, 5 titles, 5 2nd team All NBA, 7 times in the top 10 for assists per game.  He isn't in the HOF and his credentials are better than Jo Jo White.

Career averages of 9.8 points, 4.2 assists, and 36.4% FG% don't help Martin much, regardless of how much the game has changed.  That said, he's been in the HOF since 1982.

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 03:19:21 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Calipari? So you can have two thirds of your meaningful wins vacated, get beat with a roster of NBA draftees, and a horrid NBA stint and still make the hall?
This on top of the Pitino enshrinement?  Wow. An entire generation of Hall voters I can't respect. Now it's sorta just the Hall of You Saw Them on TV

This is the kinda thing that gives sympathy to the Fab Five. If you're a poor kid that takes some money they erase you, take down your banners, and give you a ten year no contact ban. But they put your coach in the HOF. You know what I mean
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 03:26:27 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 03:30:19 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Grats to Jo Jo , he deserved it.

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 03:55:43 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Career averages of 9.8 points, 4.2 assists, and 36.4% FG% don't help Martin much, regardless of how much the game has changed.  That said, he's been in the HOF since 1982.

Admittingly, having never really seen White play (other than highlights), I view it similar to Chauncey Billups.  Look at how comparable those per 36 numbers are in both regular season and playoffs. 

And Billups is a Sheed-guarding-Horry-on-the-inbounds-play away from his 2nd ring.  Both have 1 Finals MVP, White has 2 more All-Star appearances, but Billups has two All-Defensive 2nd teams, and one All-NBA 2nd team to White's none (excluding Billups two 3rd team awards, since that wasn't around in White's time).   Two NCAA All-American 1st teams (in 3ish years of elgibility) to one All-American 2nd team (in 2 years of eligibility).

Am I wrong to compare the two?  If so is Billups case as strong (or almost as strong) as White's?  I know I never really viewed Billups as a HOFer.  (And coincidently, they're both ranked right next to each other at #81 and #82 on basketball reference's Hall of Fame probability list.)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 04:20:22 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 04:06:29 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Am I wrong to compare the two?  If so is Billups case as strong (or almost as strong) as White's?  I know I never really viewed Billups as a HOFer.  (And coincidently, they're both ranked right next to each other at #81 and #82 on basketball reference's Hall of Fame probability list.)

I think that a 7-time All-Star (out of 11 years) + 2 time champion > a 5-time All-Star (out of 17 years) + 1 time champion