Author Topic: NFL Hires First Full-Time Female Ref  (Read 1683 times)

NFL Hires First Full-Time Female Ref
« on: April 04, 2015, 08:55:43 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-nfl-female-official-sarah-thomas-20150403-story.html

I found this story interesting after Tommy's apparent controversial remarks last night.

I think this is great. The more gender integration we have like this the more we can knock down gender stereotypes. It will be interesting to see the fans' reaction to this given that American football is generally seen as a "masculine" sport, even more than basketball. I expect to hear quite an uproar from the uber-traditionalist type crowd, but I bet it becomes a more regular appearance in the coming years.

Re: NFL Hires First Full-Time Female Ref
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 10:12:09 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
What's her story? She play football? Been a ref in college? How'd she get the job?

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 10:34:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-nfl-female-official-sarah-thomas-20150403-story.html

I found this story interesting after Tommy's apparent controversial remarks last night.

I think this is great. The more gender integration we have like this the more we can knock down gender stereotypes. It will be interesting to see the fans' reaction to this given that American football is generally seen as a "masculine" sport, even more than basketball. I expect to hear quite an uproar from the uber-traditionalist type crowd, but I bet it becomes a more regular appearance in the coming years.
It is what it is

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 10:36:52 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
What's her story? She play football? Been a ref in college? How'd she get the job?

The article doesn't say exactly what her story is, but it did say she's reffed in major college games several times.