Author Topic: james young red claws  (Read 25048 times)

Re: james young red claws
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2015, 08:47:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He is 19 .....give him a couple years min before yelling bust.

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2015, 08:53:13 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
He is 19 .....give him a couple years min before yelling bust.

Lil Pac will be fine.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2015, 08:57:36 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Lil Pac has one of the fastest releases I have ever seen. Not only is it quick, it's pretty. How he does it, I don't know but I love seeing it.

Now, his defense is certainly his offense, he has to offset it or outdo it with offense because his defense is HORRIBLE. I really don't get it, he has the physical tools to be a much better defender but at times he is standing straight up and being blown by.

Tonight, it looks like an effort problem to me.

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2015, 09:22:23 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
This game is painful to watch. It's like watching AAU with all of these individuals trying to get their own.

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2015, 09:26:33 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
This game is painful to watch. It's like watching AAU with all of these individuals trying to get their own.

I can't believe some of the shots these teams were taking. Also, whoever was on JY was denying him the ball really well, was like a fly on sticky paper.

Babb was excellent on some clutch stops but his 3 ball hurt them in OT, he was wide open but the shots didn't go in for him.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2015, 03:54:28 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2015, 04:25:43 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
He's gonna be money.  Can't teach such a smooth shooting stroke.  Smart and Rondo wish you could ;-)

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2015, 04:40:17 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
He's gonna be money.  Can't teach such a smooth shooting stroke.  Smart and Rondo wish you could ;-)
so true...tp

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2015, 05:04:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
James Young is obviously on a different level offensively than the players he faces in the D-League.  He's not being challenged whatsoever on that end of the floor.

I'm not sure how much the D-League is going to help Young at this point.  He's always going to be an offensive-minded player.  Probably the only way for him to make it is to just practice against NBA players and try to figure out how to be effective enough defensively to not be a net negative.

The only thing I could see Young doing at the D-League level is working on his rebounding and other hustle plays.  He probably won't develop in those areas until he adds some muscle, though.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2015, 06:03:21 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
James Young is obviously on a different level offensively than the players he faces in the D-League.  He's not being challenged whatsoever on that end of the floor.

I'm not sure how much the D-League is going to help Young at this point.  He's always going to be an offensive-minded player.  Probably the only way for him to make it is to just practice against NBA players and try to figure out how to be effective enough defensively to not be a net negative.

The only thing I could see Young doing at the D-League level is working on his rebounding and other hustle plays.  He probably won't develop in those areas until he adds some muscle, though.

It would be great if the D-League were more like minor league baseball, but that's impossible. In baseball, every player gets the same opportunity to hit, field, pitch, etc - you can't really be a ball-hog, per se. In basketball, there is a lot less organization, especially with a bunch of younger guys who want to show that they have what it takes to make it to the next level. James Young will be able to showcase his game offensively, because that's what he does well, but I think it will be difficult for him to learn 'grit' from the D-League because of the system of play there.

No matter what, it is a good way for young players to get minutes that they wouldn't otherwise get on an NBA roster. The thing is, a guy like Young should be able to play however he wants (not just taking 3s) since he has a guaranteed contract and is still thought of highly as a prospect.

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2015, 06:32:04 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Maine's season is over. Just watched the last game to check on Young.

The game was ugly! No structured basketball, a lot of chucking.70 3PAs combined. No centers for both teams for the majority of the game.

Average game for Young, but the Red Claws did not really run anything to get him going. A lot of standing in the right corner, weak cross to the left corner, meanwhile somebody has already shot the ball.

The good:
- very good rebounding - some contested ones, ball at the highest point
- no chucking on offense, made the right pass. As usually, a couple of nice looking Js.
- had a few nice hustle plays on D
- solid on D, but he was guarding secondary options for the Mad Ants

The bad:
- still no aggression in his offense. Those handles are really limiting his driving game.
- 2/4 at the line. Same problem as with the Celtics - first FT rushed and missed, second made.

Overall, not a lot to tell about Young from that game.

I hope he has a healthy off-season and works on handles and fundamentals on D. Right now he is not playing the running off screens SG game like JJ Redick and Ray and he does not have the  handles for the TMac, Kobe iso-game. He is obviously not a 3&D SG either. I doubt he will be playing SF full-time. Some role needs to be defined next year and the necessary skills - developed.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2015, 07:06:38 AM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36

The game was ugly! No structured basketball, a lot of chucking.70 3PAs combined. No centers for both teams for the majority of the game.

Average game for Young, but the Red Claws did not really run anything to get him going. A lot of standing in the right corner, weak cross to the left corner, meanwhile somebody has already shot the ball.

The good:
- no chucking on offense, made the right pass. As usually, a couple of nice looking Js.

The bad:
- still no aggression in his offense. Those handles are really limiting his driving game.
- 2/4 at the line. Same problem as with the Celtics - first FT rushed and missed, second made.

I hope he has a healthy off-season and works on handles and fundamentals on D. Right now he is not playing the running off screens SG game like JJ Redick and Ray and he does not have the  handles for the TMac, Kobe iso-game. He is obviously not a 3&D SG either. I doubt he will be playing SF full-time. Some role needs to be defined next year and the necessary skills - developed.
Krumeto, what do you think its ceiling is gonna be with his handles and fundamentals on D improved? Do you think he'll get playing time next year?

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2015, 08:22:40 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford

The good:

The bad:

Krumeto, what do you think its ceiling is gonna be with his handles and fundamentals on D improved? Do you think he'll get playing time next year?
With a key word "ceiling", I'd say Klay Thompson. He'd have to improve everything, incl. shooting a lot. The impression he gives me and Wallace's comments early in the season, I do not think he has the drive to do it. I hope I am wrong.

If in 3-4 seasons he gives us what Beal gives Washington now, I'd be more than happy and consider it success.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2015, 09:39:08 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25

The good:

The bad:

With a key word "ceiling", I'd say Klay Thompson. He'd have to improve everything, incl. shooting a lot. The impression he gives me and Wallace's comments early in the season, I do not think he has the drive to do it. I hope I am wrong.

If in 3-4 seasons he gives us what Beal gives Washington now, I'd be more than happy and consider it success.

I don't know where the "ceiling" of a player is, but Klay Thomson is most likely 50 floors higher than Young's ceiling. Klay was one of the best shooters AND scorers in college, with 20PPG, 45% 3pt and 85% ft. Nothing about Young's college or NBA play has suggested he is headed towards Klaydom.

To be fair - there is no reason to expect a player drafted 19th in a so-so draft to be one of the best 3 shooters in the league. If he ever reaches Danny Green level - I will be jumping for Joy.

I would be happy if he ended up Anthony Morrow. A very very good outside shooter who is passable at other aspects of the game.

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2015, 10:12:54 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford

The good:

The bad:

I don't know where the "ceiling" of a player is, but Klay Thomson is most likely 50 floors higher than Young's ceiling. Klay was one of the best shooters AND scorers in college, with 20PPG, 45% 3pt and 85% ft. Nothing about Young's college or NBA play has suggested he is headed towards Klaydom.

To be fair - there is no reason to expect a player drafted 19th in a so-so draft to be one of the best 3 shooters in the league. If he ever reaches Danny Green level - I will be jumping for Joy.

I would be happy if he ended up Anthony Morrow. A very very good outside shooter who is passable at other aspects of the game.
I'd be jumping with joy on Danny Green's level too.

The kid has a fantastic basketball body for a SG and a very good-looking stroke, ergo the high ceiling.  On the other hand, he has not shown the best work ethic and was not able to deserve minutes on this year's squad. So, yeah, the Klay ceiling is a bit of day-dreaming.

By the way, Klay stayed 3 years in college. His first year in college was not much better than Young's. So, in turn, I am the one not knowing where the "Nothing about Young's college or NBA play has suggested he is headed towards Klaydom." comes from.