Author Topic: OT: have the video games ruined the fans?  (Read 2751 times)

OT: have the video games ruined the fans?
« on: April 03, 2015, 03:22:32 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Specifically I mean the NBA Live and NBA 2k games where you can play a franchise or dynasty mode and simply simulate your way through losing seasons. Take a look at the realm board hey have a stickied post for a tanking thread but not a playoff thread.

I feel like this idea of lose lose lose, get 3 studs in the draft and then be set for 15 years has never really happened outside of video games.

It feels like a slap in the face to the players coach and overall team to see fans upset because they are winning. I am starting to get the idea that there are a lot of people who post on Cs boards everyday yet haven't watched a game all year.

Re: OT: have the video games ruined the fans?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 03:34:13 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I dont know about that. I mean, I play some intense NBA 2K15, and I occasionally simulate, but not through losing seasons. If I start losing alot of games, I'll stop the simulation, see what the problem is, make a trade or two, and basically do what the celtics are doing now: acquiring good players while stockpiling assets. Losing too much in nba 2k15 kinda sucks because the player progression is too good. Get a couple of top 5 picks (coupled with the horrible drafting of the CPU), along with current player progression, and suddenly you have such a stacked team that beast rookies are riding the bench.

TL;DR: Losing alot in nba 2k15 can QUICKLY make you way too good.

sorry, kinda went off topic lol
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 03:39:34 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
I think you proved my point.

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 03:45:05 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The Atari was around when the Rockets were tanking.

Clearly your theory is bulletproof, and certainly not causation confused for correlation.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 07:44:47 AM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76
Man, if you can't separate what happens in a video game to what happens in real life than you got bigger issues than tanking.

People always taking a dump on video games these days.

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 08:21:13 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25621
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Perhaps with a very small portion of younger fans.

Tanking isn't necessarily new, though.  The Celtics tanked for Duncan well before franchise mode in NBA2K, and the fans were rooting for us to lose.  Fans were rooting for their franchises to lose in the Shaq draft, too.

What seems new is teams brazenly taking a multi-season approach where they have absolutely no interest in winning.  Franchises can probably do that now because they depend less on ticket sales, and more on shared TV revenue.  In other words, there's less of an incentive to manage your team in a way that keeps fans happy.  We'll see if that's a viable long-term strategy.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 08:42:53 AM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
Videogames, fantasy games, internet, trade machine, mock drafts, Tankathon... some guys don't care about the team right now, only about trades and draft, trades and draft. That's why some want to tank - they really don't care that much about losing tonight's game or tomorrow's. "Ah ok, I just don't need to watch; the important thing is, look!, we are going up at Tankathon!".
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 09:07:04 AM by jonaslopes »
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 08:57:53 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I actually embrace tanking because of my Bo Jackson 2 game handheld. IT WAs two games!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 08:58:21 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I do think the fans of basketball tend to be armchair GMs regardless of whether they play video games or not these days.  It's a big part of what makes a team successful.  People aren't using ESPN trade machine for video games.

I really like how the Celtics are doing things right now and are willing to push for the playoffs.

I have played 125 hours of 2K15 though so I may be sick in the head.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 09:10:09 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Eh, people tend to draw too strong conclusions on that sort of thing, but the 2k style games do get a lot of fans used to instant gratification/radical changes whenever things go wrong, plus the margin of error is far, far higher than in the actual league. 

Wouldn't surprise me if it makes some fans more impatient or contributes to the "why won't Danny make the trade that no other team would ever agree to, but totally makes sense in my imagination??" mindset a few folks have, but it's a major stretch to say it's having any kind of broad impact on fans overall.

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 09:21:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think some of the bonehead trade ideas are a direct result of NBAlive and the expectations that playing it gives.   

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 10:01:50 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I think some of the bonehead trade ideas are a direct result of NBAlive and the expectations that playing it gives.
I agree. We should package NBAlive with some draft picks and get Anthony Davis.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 06:40:44 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
If anything I thought video games went the other way and that is why people were saying we should trade multiple firsts for Josh Smith and Rudy Gay. 

Besides, tanking absolutely has worked for teams before.  Just because it hasn't worked for every team that has tried it doesn't mean it isn't effective.

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 07:07:42 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2536
Not sure if I understand this thread.  I think the OP is suggesting that tanking is an unrealistic intant gratification strategy that is born of video game mentality.  If I got that right, let me present myself as exhibit A and provide a contrasting view:

I have never played a vdeo game (well, I did play Pong and Asteroids 30 years ago, but that's it).
I am a very patient fan and have always been. I don't expect the C's to be in contention for years and I am anticipatiing, and OK with, the wait -- as long as they move in the right direction.
I am in favor of not making the playoffs because I believe this will put us in better position to acquire top talent sooner.

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 08:26:26 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Nah. Actually, NBA2k has actually greatly increased my knowledge about the salary cap and CBA.