Author Topic: Forced to Root for Playoffs  (Read 3655 times)

Forced to Root for Playoffs
« on: April 02, 2015, 05:44:07 AM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
I have been one of the diehard C's fans who has believed we need another good pick this year to help your rebuild. However, since Charlotte and Indy keep losing (coupled, of course, with our continued winning), I am starting to say "F it" and let's go for the playoffs.

Since Charlotte and Indy keep losing, then even if we miss the playoffs, then the best pick we would have is number 11 (and possibly number 12 since Utah has the same record as us). I don't see as huge a difference between 12 and 15 as I do between 9 and 12. At 9 I think we could get Turner at the very least, and maybe Herzonja or Johnson/Winslow/Porzingis (whoever slips). Also, at number 9 we could feasibly trade up 2 or 3 spots to grab Johnson (on another note, I'm not sure I'd want to give up all of our picks to move up a few slots, since I think we can grab Upshaw in round 2 or another very good talent).

What do you guys think? Do you agree the difference between 12 and 15 isn't that far? Thoughts?

Re: Forced to Root for Playoffs
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 11:47:40 AM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
You poor baby!!! (pure sarcasm)

you are aware that there is no other way of winning a championship than making the playoffs, right???

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 12:17:25 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't think you should feel badly about rooting one way or another. The whole point of being a fan is a voluntary thing that you're supposed to do for fun. Taking sports super seriously is not a very healthy way to live your life.

I don't think that the difference between 12 and 15 is monumental enough for me to double-down on hoping the Celtics miss the playoffs. I'm not particularly excited to watch what I think will happen once we get there, but I'll obviously be rooting for wins if we do.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 12:27:28 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
9 vs 15 was a difference but every day that goes by puts team farther away from 9 and closer to 15. C's have decided to play for the playoffs I don't like it but good for the current players and coach. I just hope they play well and don't embarrass themselves by being blown out in a sweep first round.

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 01:55:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The nice thing about being a fan is that what you root for has 0 effect on what actually happens.  Everyone knows this is true but I think our emotions often make us feel otherwise.

So there's no reason not to root for wins without reservation; whether it's the "optimal" approach or not is totally irrelevant.  And if the playoffs don't happen, hey, at least we get a lotto pick. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 02:22:20 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 02:05:03 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
At least rooting for wins is more fun than rooting for ping pong balls, right?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 02:13:04 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown

you are aware that there is no other way of winning a championship than making the playoffs, right???

You are aware that there is ZERO percent chance we win the championship this year, right???

Some of our homers really bother me. I want to win the title as much as anyone, but I'm realistic. Even if we win a series in the playoffs (unlikely but possible), we won't beat the Cavs, we won't win the title. Let's get real.

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 02:19:03 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I am just kind of rooting for our young players to play well at this point.   If we win or lose it really doesn't matter, as there are advantages to each.  We're in some weird limbo right now

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 02:20:10 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

You are aware that there is ZERO percent chance we win the championship this year, right???

Some of our homers really bother me. I want to win the title as much as anyone, but I'm realistic. Even if we win a series in the playoffs (unlikely but possible), we won't beat the Cavs, we won't win the title. Let's get real.
Is the only way for you to enjoy Celtics basketball for them to win a title? I find enjoyment in lots of season the C's don't win a title and none out of seasons they tank, if that makes me a homer so be it.

Yes I know that having a higher pick will help the rebuild long term, but right now the team is winning and it is fun. I watch basketball because it is fun. If that makes me a homer then so be it.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 02:23:58 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
It doesn't make you a homer, just maybe easily satisfied. I'm happy even if we don't win the title if we make a legit playoff run and are true contenders. Being an 8 seed that gets waxed doesn't quite strike me as very fulfilling. I'm that that makes you happy though! /sarcasm

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 02:32:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Anything different does not seem right , on so many levels

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 02:34:40 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yes I know that having a higher pick will help the rebuild long term...

Obviously, it's better to have a higher pick than a lower pick.  Still, I'm reminded of the 2004 season, when we made the playoffs.  A lot of fans were openly rooting for losses, hoping we'd miss the post-season.

What happened?  We ended up with Al Jefferson.  If we had picked earlier, we might have gotten Robert Swift or Luke Jackson (both guys Danny purportedly liked).  Sometimes, things just work out.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 02:39:21 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Is the only way for you to enjoy Celtics basketball for them to win a title? I find enjoyment in lots of season the C's don't win a title and none out of seasons they tank, if that makes me a homer so be it.

Yes I know that having a higher pick will help the rebuild long term, but right now the team is winning and it is fun. I watch basketball because it is fun. If that makes me a homer then so be it.

I think only rooting for titles makes sense if you weren't really paying attention to the Celtics during the two decades of mediocrity that preceded the Big Three.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 03:08:01 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Yes I know that having a higher pick will help the rebuild long term...

Obviously, it's better to have a higher pick than a lower pick.  Still, I'm reminded of the 2004 season, when we made the playoffs.  A lot of fans were openly rooting for losses, hoping we'd miss the post-season.

What happened?  We ended up with Al Jefferson.  If we had picked earlier, we might have gotten Robert Swift or Luke Jackson (both guys Danny purportedly liked).  Sometimes, things just work out.

I also think a big part of whether a player succeeds is the situation in which they come into. It might be that coming into a team with good coaching where everyone plays hard is more conducive to developing talent than a team tanking.

I'm a big draft guy so I want to have a high pick, but I think the playoff experience and the implementing of a foundation of style of play and effort almost makes up for picking later.

Our biggest asset right now might be Brad Stevens, a fear he might go back to college is a good enough reason for me to be against tanking this season.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 03:58:05 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Poor you.