Poll

Is Smart good enough to be your long term Point Guard.

Yes He is. I love his Defense and atiitude.
20 (33.3%)
No he's not, he can't drive to the hoop or shoot, his ball handling is suspect.
11 (18.3%)
Too early to tell.
29 (48.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Buy or Sell, Smart St PG for a decade  (Read 3844 times)

Buy or Sell, Smart St PG for a decade
« on: April 02, 2015, 12:02:34 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I like Smart. I'm really unsure about his skill-set to be a full time starting point guard for this team, If all the bigs are gone, and we have a chance to get an upgrade of a more well rounded point guard are you OK with drafting one? I am.

Re: Buy or Sell, Smart St PG for a decade
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 12:43:07 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I want Smart to be a major part of the Celtics back-court for the next ten years. If he doesn't develop PG instincts enough, then play him at the 2. Either way he's gotta be a major contributor going forward.

I think, considering the lack of plays run for him or even the lack of being the primary ball-carrier, he's done well. At times he's flashed remarkable instincts passing. And I like AB and IT so even if one was the BPA this year, I wouldn't take one.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 12:46:16 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Imagine the discussions that OKC fans and management must've had about Russell Westbrook.

I'm buying.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 01:02:17 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Neither Smart nor the Celtics are good enough to let positional concerns influence a single personnel decision right now.

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 02:38:56 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I like Smart. I'm really unsure about his skill-set to be a full time starting point guard for this team, If all the bigs are gone, and we have a chance to get an upgrade of a more well rounded point guard are you OK with drafting one? I am.
Wouldn't be surprised to see him used in a trade package this summer.  Could even see him moved on draft day.

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 03:03:14 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I like Smart at PG for the system C's are currently running. If you don't like the system and want a "Rondo", ball dominant PG then we need to maybe move Smart to SG or in a trade. People keep forgetting your PG has to fit the system.

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 03:12:55 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Wouldn't be surprised to see him used in a trade package this summer.  Could even see him moved on draft day.
I don't think Ainge would trade Smart so soon unless it is in a package to acquire a star.  So now you've got me hoping it happens. 

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 05:46:51 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Too early to tell. His offense is so limited right now = very worrying long term.

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 06:12:00 AM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
The overreaction to Smart's 'struggles' is beyond words.  As I've said on the show time and time again, are these the same people that rip Pitino for trading Chauncey Billups after 51 games?

The list of the game's all time great PGs struggling in their rookie season is endless

As mentioned, Billups never really got a grasp of the position until he was in the league for a few years

Russell Westbrook
Deron Williams
Kevin Johnson
Gary Payton

Marcus Smart will be an impactful player in this league for a long time.  Great selection at #6.
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 06:41:09 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
imagine what this league would look like if GM's ran their teams through the eyes of the fans?

Ronald Murray would be the MVP and Westbrook would be flipping burgers.

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 08:15:08 AM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76
Imagine the discussions that OKC fans and management must've had about Russell Westbrook.

I'm buying.

Westbrook averaged 15-5-5-1 as a rookie

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 08:17:17 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

I'm buying.

Westbrook averaged 15-5-5-1 as a rookie
And was a much better ball handler and shot creator. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 08:32:14 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

I don't think Ainge would trade Smart so soon unless it is in a package to acquire a star.  So now you've got me hoping it happens.

I agree with this statement. Smart right now is already an impact player with his defense, and his energy does have a positive effect on the team. With that said, I also would not be surprised to see him traded for a star, but again, this is also too early to tell. Regardless of what roles we give Smart, I am comfortable with. Starter, star, or even first guard off the bench playing defense. I LOVE seeing this dude play

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 08:37:43 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'm a big Smart fan, and he's who I wanted at 6 last year.  But I've been saying since before he was drafted that in the long run he's a 2, and not a point.  But positions on this team are assigned for box scores, and not roles.  PG is an offensive position, and Turner, Thomas, and Pressey fulfill that role currently.  Smart is a guard, but not one who operates at the point.

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 08:52:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I've been saying since the IT trade that I though IT and Smart should be the starting backcourt with Bradley coming off the bench.  I think that is the best rotation and makes the most sense.  IT covers Smart's deficiencies and vice versa.  They would be a pretty dangerous backcourt pairing. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip