Author Topic: What is Best for the Nets Picks  (Read 7533 times)

What is Best for the Nets Picks
« on: April 01, 2015, 06:40:34 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
As everyone on this blog knows we own the Nets picks in 2016 and 2018 and have the right to swap  in 2017, so it is firmly in our interest for the Nets to be bad for the next 3 years. With the cap rising and with the team aging, and a couple guys facing opt-outs next year and the team potentially for sale what should I as a C's fan be rooting to happen?

Everything I hear out of the Nets camp, I immediately think, "Is this good for us?" and like 90% of the time I have no idea.

I think we have to hope Thad Young and Lopez leave this year but that doesn't make sense, and then that they don't replace them because the owner isn't about to go over the cap as he wants to sell and they still wont be far below cap.

What do you guys hope for with the Nets for the next 3 years?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Re: What is Best for the Nets Picks
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 06:46:01 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Franchise-defining talents.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 06:57:37 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
The troubling thing about the Nets picks is always going to be that they have absolutely no incentive to suck.  In fact, the very idea of handing 3 high lottery picks to the C's over the next three years has to be abhorrent to a violent degree to anyone in the Nets organization.  This has the potential of making the organization into an annual laughing stock. Not to mention, it's the Celtics and Danny Ainge that are making them look that way.   Because of this, I think that the Nets brain trust will do everything they can to remain a playoff team for the next three years.

Given the above premise, I would love to see the C's use the Brooklyn picks to get some star talent or star potential.  If Nets pick(s) added to a package gets the right player(s) in return, it may be the best use of the picks. 

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 07:02:04 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Sell teams like the Kings by offering the Nets pick as a way of saying, so we can grab DMC, "here you can get some really great players."  :-*

Either way, I wonder if the Nets pick are going to be ever used? I feel like Ainge had the intention of trying to sell them as sweeteners/part of a bigger trade package.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 07:14:53 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
The troubling thing about the Nets picks is always going to be that they have absolutely no incentive to suck.  In fact, the very idea of handing 3 high lottery picks to the C's over the next three years has to be abhorrent to a violent degree to anyone in the Nets organization.  This has the potential of making the organization into an annual laughing stock. Not to mention, it's the Celtics and Danny Ainge that are making them look that way.   Because of this, I think that the Nets brain trust will do everything they can to remain a playoff team for the next three years.

Given the above premise, I would love to see the C's use the Brooklyn picks to get some star talent or star potential.  If Nets pick(s) added to a package gets the right player(s) in return, it may be the best use of the picks.
That is the thing that worries me as well. That along with the cap boost which will give them some room to crawl their way out of their predicament.

Ive been trying to think of ways to sell their picks back to them as they are more valuable to them than any other team by far as it would provide to them an avenue to get really good players. The currently have no such avenue. However they are so devoid of assets I cant think of a pakcage they could offer us which would be worth a single nets pick.

I personally like Plumlee a lot. He is an athletic big who I think could do really well given the opportunity, but I wouldn't give up the Nets pick for him and hes the only thing of value really on their roster.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 07:17:38 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Instead of thinking about the Nets improving, think about it this way:

It's unlikely that the Nets will be better than the Hawks (1), Cavs (2) or Raptors (3) next year.

The Wizards (4) will probably have a new coach and improve as a result, even if they lose a starter or two. 

The Bulls (5) will still have Mirotic, Gasol and Noah, even if they lose Butler, Thibs and Rose.  That's better than the Nets.

The Bucks (6) should have Jabari all year.

The Heat (7) will have Bosh and a full season of Whiteside.

The Pacers ( 8 ) will have PG back and a lottery pick.  Those spaces are just so it doesn't go like this (8)

So what could the Nets do to top any of those 8 teams?  (Also disclaimer: those numbers aren't the order that I think they will finish, it's just to point out that there are 8 teams above where I think the Nets will finish, no matter what the Nets do.)

We have a good chance at either a lotto pick or a max FA, the Hornets are adding a lotto pick and were good last year, the 76ers could do a bunch of trades and get the Lakers' #6 pick in combination with their own pick, the Knicks could pull off a coup, etc. 

So basically, the Nets could do what exactly to improve?  They could either resign Lopez and have their cap tied up to a player that will be injured half the year, or they could let him walk and replace him with who?  Who are they drafting with the ATL pick that will skyrocket them past any of those teams?  If anything, they'll probably be worse next year!

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 07:25:17 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

It's unlikely that the Nets will be better than the Hawks (1), Cavs (2) or Raptors (3) next year.

The Wizards (4) will probably have a new coach and improve as a result, even if they lose a starter or two. 

The Bulls (5) will still have Mirotic, Gasol and Noah, even if they lose Butler, Thibs and Rose.  That's better than the Nets.

The Pacers ( 8 ) will have PG back and a lottery pick.  Those spaces are just so it doesn't go like this (8)

So what could the Nets do to top any of those 8 teams?  (Also disclaimer: those numbers aren't the order that I think they will finish, it's just to point out that there are 8 teams above where I think the Nets will finish, no matter what the Nets do.)

We have a good chance at either a lotto pick or a max FA, the Hornets are adding a lotto pick and were good last year, the 76ers could do a bunch of trades and get the Lakers' #6 pick in combination with their own pick, the Knicks could pull off a coup, etc. 

So basically, the Nets could do what exactly to improve?  They could either resign Lopez and have their cap tied up to a player that will be injured half the year, or they could let him walk and replace him with who?  Who are they drafting with the ATL pick that will skyrocket them past any of those teams?  If anything, they'll probably be worse next year!
Great outlook I cant believe I hadnt thought of it like that. nearly the entire east is on the rise and Brooklyn although I fear they will decline less quickly than is optimal. Its possible that they will have the #9 lotto odds and they will probably be worse next year.

This is the comment I needed to make me happy about these picks again!
TP for you

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 07:55:07 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Of the 8 teams you listed, the Bucks and Heat are the two teams that I could most easily see the Nets surpassing.  The Bucks have been terrible since trading Knight away and acquiring MCW.  For the Heat, three players (Wade, Deng and Dragic) have player options.  I think there is a good chance they lose Dragic or Deng, possibly both.  There are also the health concerns for Bosh and Wade. 

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 08:04:41 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker

Of the 8 teams you listed, the Bucks and Heat are the two teams that I could most easily see the Nets surpassing.  The Bucks have been terrible since trading Knight away and acquiring MCW.  For the Heat, three players (Wade, Deng and Dragic) have player options.  I think there is a good chance they lose Dragic or Deng, possibly both.  There are also the health concerns for Bosh and Wade.

I agree that those are the weak links, but still, the Bucks were doing even better until Jabari went down.  If he's healthy all year, I don't see the Nets passing them.

Also, the Heat could fall apart I suppose, but if you were to bet on either team at even odds to have a better record next year, would you really take the Nets?  Bosh could be out forever with his blood clots, but I just think Riley will figure something out.

On top of that, we could easily be better than the Nets next year.  The Hornets could easily be better than the Nets next year.  Etc.

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 08:36:59 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I agree that those are the weak links, but still, the Bucks were doing even better until Jabari went down.  If he's healthy all year, I don't see the Nets passing them.

Also, the Heat could fall apart I suppose, but if you were to bet on either team at even odds to have a better record next year, would you really take the Nets?  Bosh could be out forever with his blood clots, but I just think Riley will figure something out.

On top of that, we could easily be better than the Nets next year.  The Hornets could easily be better than the Nets next year.  Etc.

your initial points are exactly how I see the situation.  I don't see any other team in the East NOT making improvements next year other than the Nets.  Every other team, barring some surprises in player options, figure to improve either by (A) getting a top pick in the draft this year -- Nets have to give theirs to Atlanta so this doesn't apply to them AND/OR (B) getting injured players back healthy next year.  Nets don't really figure to get much more court time from their top players next year. 

I seriously see the Nets in the bottom 5 in the East next year if not bottom 5 in the league.

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 09:03:51 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

your initial points are exactly how I see the situation.  I don't see any other team in the East NOT making improvements next year other than the Nets.  Every other team, barring some surprises in player options, figure to improve either by (A) getting a top pick in the draft this year -- Nets have to give theirs to Atlanta so this doesn't apply to them AND/OR (B) getting injured players back healthy next year.  Nets don't really figure to get much more court time from their top players next year. 

I seriously see the Nets in the bottom 5 in the East next year if not bottom 5 in the league.
Earlier in the season, I believe Lopez was injured and then came of the bench for a while and Young is a recent acquisition.  If both of them stay, the Nets might get more out of them next year.  The Nets may be able to trade Johnson with only one year left on his contract.  Right now, I'm expecting next year's Nets pick to be late lottery.  Thankfully Billy King is still their GM.

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 09:21:23 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Earlier in the season, I believe Lopez was injured and then came of the bench for a while and Young is a recent acquisition.  If both of them stay, the Nets might get more out of them next year.  The Nets may be able to trade Johnson with only one year left on his contract.  Right now, I'm expecting next year's Nets pick to be late lottery.  Thankfully Billy King is still their GM.
IMHO, Lopez will never play a full season.  they're lucky if they get 60-65 games out of him each season.  Granted Thad is an improvement for them but not a huge one.  I think if he has the option to jump ship, he's gone to a contender because I can't see him wanting to play for yet another lousy team

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 11:04:27 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

anything is possible, but i doubt whether that trade is probable. yes, there is one year left on johnson's contract, but what a year it is! he will be paid just under $25,000,000 next season. that has to be one of the most untradable contracts in the league. what else would the nets have to staple to johnson to move him? heck, what else do they have that anyone would want to take that salary?

i predict the nets just wait for him to go away in 2016-17, along with lopez. i dont know about after 2015-16, but given contracts, aging stars, injuries, and ownership of the nets, i see next year as abysmal for them.

next, i am doubtful the nets will spend like drunken sailors even after next year. the owner wants to sell this team, and low payroll tends to make things attractive to buyers. he may surprise me and spend once more like he just hit a liberty port, but i wont believe it until i see it.

thank goodnes for that!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 11:38:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Speaking of the Nets... who do you think is rooting for them to lose more?  Boston fans or Atlanta fans?

Brooklyn is keeping us from the playoffs.
Atlanta owns Brooklyn's pick and it can end up anywhere from 9-16.

I'd say Atlanta wants them to lose more since 70% of this forum would prefer for us to miss the playoffs anyways.

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 11:55:06 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker

IMHO, Lopez will never play a full season.  they're lucky if they get 60-65 games out of him each season.  Granted Thad is an improvement for them but not a huge one.  I think if he has the option to jump ship, he's gone to a contender because I can't see him wanting to play for yet another lousy team

Lopez played 3 consecutive full seasons (82 games) his first three years.  He averaged 18.8 ppg and 8.6 rpg his sophomore year and 20 ppg and 6 rpg his junior year.

Then, he played:
5 games his 4th year
74 games his 5th year
17 games his 6th year
63 games his 7th year (aka this year)

So basically, he got hurt at the end of his third year and it seems to still be bothering him.  I know I am biased and rooting for him to be injured for our picks*, but even in a vacuum, I wouldn't bet on him playing even 40 games next year. 

*thus making me a terrible person, I know