Poll

If he is available with our first pick, would you like the Celtics to draft him?

Yes, he could thrive in our system
14 (40%)
No, we don't need James Young 2.0/ Jeff Green 2.0
8 (22.9%)
No, it would be preferred to trade up for another prospect
9 (25.7%)
Not sure
4 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Kelly Oubre to enter NBA Draft  (Read 11377 times)

Re: Kelly Oubre to enter NBA Draft
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 11:57:40 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Perfect example of a young player who should stay in school.
Non existent in the NCAA tourney.

Andrew Wiggins is the perfect example of the opposite. 1-6 shooting and only 4 points in his final game to likely the ROY. Coincidentally, they both played for Kansas.

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 11:59:55 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Good feature from ESPN on certain draft picks. Here's the one for Oubre...

To help readers get to know top NBA draft prospects, Insider offers a 360-degree look at many of them in a concise and thorough scouting report featuring three expert perspectives: Kevin Pelton (analytics), Fran Fraschilla (scouting) and Chad Ford (NBA front offices). Here's a look at former Kansas wing Kelly Oubre.

WARP Projection: 1.7 (28th among players in the top 100)
Comparables: Thaddeus Young (95.8), Luol Deng (95.2), Bradley Beal (94.9), Xavier Henry (94.9)
Strengths: Steal%
Weaknesses: Assist%

The analytics perspective

After a slow start that had him on the fringes of Bill Self's rotation in November, Oubre settled into a fairly typical freshman season for a one-and-done wing prospect. While it's difficult to find a good comparison for some prospects, Oubre has seven players with a similarity score of 90 or higher. Their NBA production runs the gamut, from All-Star Luol Deng to failed lottery pick Xavier Henry, but most of the group developed into quality starters, and in time Oubre figures to do the same.

That same middle-of-the-road assessment applies to Oubre's skill set. Nearly all categories are neither strengths nor weaknesses, and the two "extreme" categories barely beat the minimum thresholds to qualify. The biggest area Oubre figures to need improvement is his outside shooting. He hoisted 2.6 3-point attempts per game, but made them at a 35.8 percent clip, which suggests he'll struggle to shoot well enough from the longer NBA line right away to justify taking 3s.

-- Kevin Pelton

The scouting perspective

Kansas' Kelly Oubre Jr. is an NBA lottery pick talent who, like many of the potential first-round selections in this draft, is not ready to win in a meaningful NBA game right now. But he showed flashes of outstanding potential during his only season as a Jayhawk.

The 6-foot-7 left-handed wing -- and his game is very left-handed -- had an interesting season at Kansas. Expected to impact immediately, it took him a while to gain the confidence of head coach Bill Self. In preseason practices, there was a concern about his ability to play hard and it was evident in his playing time. In his first seven games, Oubre averaged two points and eight minutes.

Gradually, I saw major improvement in his effort and with the increased opportunities to play, Oubre displayed a good feel for the game, excellent defensive instincts and a shooting stroke that can become a major weapon for him in time.

While not as explosive athletically as he may appear, Oubre has what I call "basketball elasticity." He has the ability to get places on the floor because of the athleticism he does possess, a 7-foot-2 wingspan and very good basketball anticipation. At worst, in time, this will enable him to develop into an above-average NBA wing defender.

Offensively, while he finished at the rim at an average 55 percent clip, his real potential lies in becoming a good mid- and long-range jump-shooter. Oubre made 39 percent of his 2-point jump shots and 36 percent of his 3s this season. He also made 78 percent of his free throws in the final month of the season. There were times where he got into a real shooting rhythm.

Oubre Jr., who will turn 20 in December, is a long way from being a finished NBA product but he is also a long way from where he was to start his freshman season. Eventually, his defense and his shooting can become staples in his game and if he exhibits a more consistent level of intensity, he'll evolve from a "work in progress" into a bona fide player in the future.

-- Fran Fraschilla

The front office perspective

Oubre's draft stock rose dramatically this summer after his strong performance at the Nike Hoops Summit and LeBron James Skills Academy. Before the season, he ranked as a top 5 prospect on our Big Board.

Then the season began and not only was Oubre not starting for Kansas, he was barely getting minutes. When he did get on the floor, he often looked lost and frustrated. By January, Oubre started turning things around, moved into the starting lineup and played much more like a lottery pick. However, his inconsistency, especially in his effort, has scouts a little baffled.

Oubre's elite size, athleticism and a very good jumper are all driving his stock right now. He also became a much more committed defender under Bill Self's tutelage this season. But will he be a dominant wing in the NBA? There are some big questions about that given his freshman season at Kansas. Right now he's in the No. 8 to No. 13 range.

-- Chad Ford

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 12:04:04 AM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
I would obviously prefer the three other SFs in Winslow Johnson Hezonja but at 15 he could turn into a really good player albeit over a few years.

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 12:59:57 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Andrew Wiggins is the perfect example of the opposite. 1-6 shooting and only 4 points in his final game to likely the ROY. Coincidentally, they both played for Kansas.

please don't compare Wiggins to Oubre that is crazy

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 09:45:48 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Winslow and Johnson certainly seem more athletic and quicker than Oubre, but if he's still on the board he'd be a decent choice.  Looney is intriguing as well as a 3/4, a little bigger and more physical, I'd probably put him before Oubre as well.

Oubre reminds me of Tayshaun Prince.

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 10:57:15 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I would be happy with Oubre at #15 but I would prefer Looney or Poeltl if they are available.

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 11:05:50 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Oubre is going to be a great player in my opinion. I see Young/Oubre as really great players in the future with high ceilings due to their age, wingspan, and their left hand.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 11:18:22 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would prefer Looney

I was not impressed with his tourney, nor the games I watched at all.  7 PPG when it mattered. 
He started the year strong than faltered as teams planned for him. 

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3155535/kevon-looney

He is a good rebounder for his position.  I wonder more if he more of a PF than a SF sometimes,  though that was because of UCLA's lack of frontcourt talent.  Great body and athletic.  He is value at 15 and can shoot the three.

I would pick him over Oubre, soley because of his size advantage.   Looney has a 7'3" wingspan and more of a NBA weight.   Oubre is almost Reggie Miller skinny at  200 lbs 6'7".   Looney is 220 lbs and 6.9.5" in shoes.  Looney is younger of the two as well by three months.  Both of them could grow another inch or so as they are 19.

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 11:30:07 AM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
I would be happy with Oubre at #15 but I would prefer Looney or Poeltl if they are available.

Poeltl should be our guy IMO.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2015, 12:14:25 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Poeltl should be our guy IMO.
if those are our choices, I agree

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2015, 05:23:44 PM »

Offline Rondohara

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Would love to see him here, high ceiling guy, could end up being one of the best of this draft having a Klay Thompson/Paul George -esque development, guy taken around 10 that improves 2-3 years down to dominate.
Goal for next season: Top 2 seed.
Say goodbye to: Turner, Zeller, Sully.

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2015, 05:31:20 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Would love to see him here, high ceiling guy, could end up being one of the best of this draft having a Klay Thompson/Paul George -esque development, guy taken around 10 that improves 2-3 years down to dominate.

Agree. I can see Oubre bulking up, and becoming like a Paul George type of player.

Young can be our Klay Thompson.  8)
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2015, 06:32:43 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70

He is right to come out because he will be a high pick. The colleges should pay the players and allow the players to get endorsements. As long as the colleges continue to be unfair it is always the right decision to come out when you will be a guaranteed first round pick.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2015, 06:34:58 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I think Jeff Green is a really good comparison for Oubre. Very good athleticism and length; solid shooting; weak off-hand; limited ability to create offense. Oubre has upside to be better, but it's reasonable to think he'll turn into Green plus or minus, which is great value at #15 and OK value around #10.

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2015, 07:00:30 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

He is right to come out because he will be a high pick. The colleges should pay the players and allow the players to get endorsements. As long as the colleges continue to be unfair it is always the right decision to come out when you will be a guaranteed first round pick.

Some players are better suited to the open spacing of The NBA game too. "Throw all of our best defenders to stop Oubre" has to be pretty high on opposing college teams scheming for how to beat Kansas but if he ended up on a good NBA team with other scorers the pressure could be eased off a bit and he could fall back into his game which had him projected as a consensus top 5 lock before the season started.