Poll

If he is available with our first pick, would you like the Celtics to draft him?

Yes, he could thrive in our system
14 (40%)
No, we don't need James Young 2.0/ Jeff Green 2.0
8 (22.9%)
No, it would be preferred to trade up for another prospect
9 (25.7%)
Not sure
4 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Kelly Oubre to enter NBA Draft  (Read 11341 times)

Kelly Oubre to enter NBA Draft
« on: April 01, 2015, 02:35:19 PM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article17096717.html

I think that Kelly is a very intriguing prospect and if he slips in the draft, I think the C's should go after him.

Strengths
Good size for a wing with excellent size at 6'7" in shoes with a 7'1"/7'2" wingspan
Elite athleticism, quickness, explosiveness and first step
Very smooth shooting stroke
Defensive potential - great on-ball defender (very good steal and block rate for a wing due to length and quickness able to guard 3/4 positions)
Rebounding
Upside - only 19 years of age can fill out with 10-20 pounds

Weaknesses
Average feel for the game - could improve passing (1 ast in 20 mins)
Questionable Motor
Handle - It's good for straight line drives but average overall meaning that he struggles to create shots
Consistency
Awareness on D - Get caught ball watching and loose cutters sometimes

He reminds me of James Young (smooth lefty with athleticism even though Kelly is more athletic), Andrew Wiggins (both athletic players who struggle to create shots) and Paul George (similar freshman stats and size).

I think that Kelly will benefit in playing the NBA like Wiggins did and his potential is extremely high. High ceiling/low floor player and in the right system (like the Celtics), he could improve on his weaknesses.

Probable Scenario: Jeff Green with better rebounding and more versatility/Trevor Ariza
Worst Case Scenario: Corey Brewer/ Wesley Johnson with a better 3pt shot
Best Case Scenario: Paul George/Rudy Gay combination

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VCSOmq0CNQ

What's your opinion?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 02:51:02 PM by Maurice98 »

Re: Kelly Oubre to enter NBA Draft
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 02:58:45 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I look at his length and love the way he projects defensively at the SF position.  Smart, Bradley, Oubre.....Great youth who can guard extremely well at the NBA level.  Oubre is definitely a great system fit IMO

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 03:30:34 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article17096717.html

I think that Kelly is a very intriguing prospect and if he slips in the draft, I think the C's should go after him.

Strengths
Good size for a wing with excellent size at 6'7" in shoes with a 7'1"/7'2" wingspan
Elite athleticism, quickness, explosiveness and first step
Very smooth shooting stroke
Defensive potential - great on-ball defender (very good steal and block rate for a wing due to length and quickness able to guard 3/4 positions)
Rebounding
Upside - only 19 years of age can fill out with 10-20 pounds

Weaknesses
Average feel for the game - could improve passing (1 ast in 20 mins)
Questionable Motor
Handle - It's good for straight line drives but average overall meaning that he struggles to create shots
Consistency
Awareness on D - Get caught ball watching and loose cutters sometimes

He reminds me of James Young (smooth lefty with athleticism even though Kelly is more athletic), Andrew Wiggins (both athletic players who struggle to create shots) and Paul George (similar freshman stats and size).

I think that Kelly will benefit in playing the NBA like Wiggins did and his potential is extremely high. High ceiling/low floor player and in the right system (like the Celtics), he could improve on his weaknesses.

Probable Scenario: Jeff Green with better rebounding and more versatility/Trevor Ariza
Worst Case Scenario: Corey Brewer/ Wesley Johnson with a better 3pt shot
Best Case Scenario: Paul George/Rudy Gay combination

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VCSOmq0CNQ

What's your opinion?

I read he had some pretty heavy work done on his motor and it is running a lot better lately (minor brain surgery)

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 03:56:02 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Chad Ford-

Kelly Oubre Jr., G/F, Fr., Kansas
Oubre has top-five talent. He's crazy long for a wing (a 7-foot-2 wingspan), is an excellent athlete, possesses a sweet 3-point stroke and under Bill Self turned himself into a committed defender on the perimeter this season. However, the lefty was pretty inconsistent in 2014-15 and needs to add strength. He's further away than the other wings in his draft range -- Justise Winslow, Mario Hezonja and Stanley Johnson -- but he may have the highest ceiling of any of them if he continues to work on his game. Look for Oubre to go in the seven-to-14 range.

Ht 6-7
Wt 205
Age 19 (Dec 9, 1995)
Wingspan 7-2
Standing Reach 8-8

Positives   
Rangy, athletic wing
Good shooter, albeit with an unorthodox shot
Explosive athlete
Good penetrator and finisher around the rim
Great lateral quickness

Negatives   
Needs to improve his handle
Can, at times, settle for bad outside shots
Not a committed defender

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 04:07:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Doesnt really matter. Not interested.
Rather have Hayes or Pope

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 04:16:56 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

You'd rather have those two guys with our first pick?

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 04:20:44 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
He does remind me of James Young, but he is a better athlete. He also plays much better defense now than Young did in college.

I think he will be long gone when we pick, but the upside of a guy like him with his length athleticism and shooting ability is too good to pass up.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 04:20:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Yup. That would turn out to be a nice draft for the Celts.

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 04:28:20 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Yup. That would turn out to be a nice draft for the Celts.

That's poor drafting and really reaching on guys that would be available later. 

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 04:32:45 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Yeah if you wanted Pope so badly, just trade down.

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 05:07:11 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
He does remind me of James Young, but he is a better athlete. He also plays much better defense now than Young did in college.

I think he will be long gone when we pick, but the upside of a guy like him with his length athleticism and shooting ability is too good to pass up.

Really? Because virtually every mock that I've seen has him going around 14 or 15. I think he'd be an excellent pickup at 15, and I'm betting that we could even trade up a few spots from 15 if that's where he'll be going.

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 05:14:11 PM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36

Really? Because virtually every mock that I've seen has him going around 14 or 15. I think he'd be an excellent pickup at 15, and I'm betting that we could even trade up a few spots from 15 if that's where he'll be going.

True. I am drooling about thinking a lineup with Smart-AB-Oubre or even better Smart-Young-Oubre. That second trio intrigues me with their length, potential on D, scoring and athleticism. Oubre and Young could be a dynamic duo in the future.

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 05:24:28 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904

True. I am drooling about thinking a lineup with Smart-AB-Oubre or even better Smart-Young-Oubre. That second trio intrigues me with their length, potential on D, scoring and athleticism. Oubre and Young could be a dynamic duo in the future.

Yeah, I like that second group better, too, as long as Young is able to play at least passable defense, that is. His shooting would blend well with the other two.

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 05:43:23 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I love Oubre because he has great upside, but he doesn't look like the best fit for the C's. DX lists "creating offense" as a weakness; he has poor handles, especially with his right hand, and questionable rim finishing. He isn't ideal to pair with either Smart, AB or Young. Pairs better with IT off the bench.

That isn't to say that we shouldn't take him if he's clear BPA. But if it's between him and say Turner, it's something to consider.

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 09:04:08 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Perfect example of a young player who should stay in school.
Non existent in the NCAA tourney.