Author Topic: Why the Celtics should be super agressive in free agency this summer  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
This is not a sexy topic but I believe that it needs to be discussed: future large salary cap increases and the Celtics strategy.    1) The cap next year will be about $68 million, about $90 million in 2016-2017, and over $100 million in 2017-2018. This is because the players union has refused to smooth the cap increase over a number of years.    2) Almost every team will have serious cap money to spend in a couple of years.    3) Starting two summers from now so many teams will be bidding on free agents that salaries will rise for even rotation players.     4) All of this means that a team will get more bang for each available salary cap dollar in this offseason than in future offseasons and the Celtics should be hyper aggressive in their free agent pursuit while being realistic in who they are targeting.    5) They should not be afraid to overpay for their targeted free agents because in two years these contracts will be seen to have great value. This is no time to take a Patriots approach to free agency with lowball offers. It is no longer seen as a privilege to be a Boston Celtic. Khris Middleton and Omar Asik might be two examples of the type of player we might target with above market offers, but there are certainly other realistic options in free agency.    6) When money does flood the market in two summers it is important that the Celtics are viewed by free agents as, at minimum, a solid playoff team since so many good teams will be bidding for them that almost no quality players will sign with a noncompetitive cold weather team other than New York.

Re: Why the Celtics should be super agressive in free agency this summer
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 07:36:46 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Almost everyone here assumes this will be the case, that is why it is not discussed.

Re: Why the Celtics should be super agressive in free agency this summer
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 07:39:38 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Almost everyone here assumes this will be the case, that is why it is not discussed.

:)
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different