Author Topic: Taking a look at Brook Lopez  (Read 6495 times)

Taking a look at Brook Lopez
« on: March 31, 2015, 09:14:28 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are now during the stretch run of the season.

Prior to this year, I didn't want any part of Lopez. Always injury prone and little to no D. However, I have been very impressed by him over these past few weeks. He is the only one single-handedly keeping the Nets in the playoff race. He is basically carrying the dead weight of D-Will and the tired legs of Joe Johnson. All this despite having been benched for much of the season and rifts with the coach.

He might opt-out this summer. If you were Danny, would you take a long hard look at him or would you pass for other centers?

Re: Taking a look at Brook Lopez
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 10:15:02 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
He's not going to opt out.

If he does (and he won't), I would absolutely look at him. And then check him and his agent into serious sessions with the psychologist of my choice.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 06:01:35 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167

If he does (and he won't), I would absolutely look at him. And then check him and his agent into serious sessions with the psychologist of my choice.

A good laugh deserves a TP

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 06:21:59 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
It's hard to tell what I want here for our picks.

If he stays, he'll clog their cap, probably sit out half the year due to injuries and be a major ball hog that doesn't play defense.  He will however win them a handful of games and be a big expiring, which will hurt our 2017 pick swap and 2018 1st from them.

If he leaves, his scoring will be hard to replace, but they will have the space to sign someone else and compete with us for FAs.  It's a tough choice.

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 06:30:17 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Why wouldn't he? He's been playing exceptionally well since the break and there will be suitors this summer. Moreover, he can sign a long term deal this summer, with a player option after the first year. This way he gets long term security from the new deal, but also allows him to take advantage of the new CBA deal should he have a solid/injury free year.

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 06:35:13 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Why wouldn't he? He's been playing exceptionally well since the break and there will be suitors this summer. Moreover, he can sign a long term deal this summer, with a player option after the first year. This way he gets long term security from the new deal, but also allows him to take advantage of the new CBA deal should he have a solid/injury free year.
I could be wrong but I believe that the option can only be one year (it may be two) so if you want a deal with an opt out next year you can only sign a two or three year deal and even that may no be allowed.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 06:39:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
No interest = (1) Injury prone player (2) Statuesque defense (3) Bad effort as rebounder (4) Non-passer on offense [does not facilitate offense].

Brook Lopez has become a player who only goes after his (points).

Not a team player. Causes more problems than solutions.

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 06:41:59 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I've actually thought pretty hard about this question, but I can't find any good reason to consider Lopez. He's got a nice scoring touch and will help on the boards, BUT he is not a great defender and low post defense may be this teams greatest need. Then add in that he is a bit older so can't really be considered a key piece in a rebuild.   (Young core: Bradley, Smart, Young, Crowder, Thomas. I would trade Sully and/or Olynyk as they are attractive to other teams. Bass is the salary fill.)

Finally, Brook's the injury history is scary.

No thanks.

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 06:44:56 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

I just went over the "why" Lopez won't opt out in another thread so I won't rehash the argument here, but to the bolded: No, he can't.
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q59

Assuming that Lopez and/or his agent knows how the CBA works, he won't opt out of his contract.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 06:54:17 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are now during the stretch run of the season.

Prior to this year, I didn't want any part of Lopez. Always injury prone and little to no D. However, I have been very impressed by him over these past few weeks. He is the only one single-handedly keeping the Nets in the playoff race. He is basically carrying the dead weight of D-Will and the tired legs of Joe Johnson. All this despite having been benched for much of the season and rifts with the coach.

He might opt-out this summer. If you were Danny, would you take a long hard look at him or would you pass for other centers?

Yes, I would. His foot injuries scare me but he can score with the best of them and will give us a legit center which we sorely need.

Probably wouldn't be my first choice in free agency, but I would definitely be interested in him (and his brother.)

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 07:05:36 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I've actually thought pretty hard about this question, but I can't find any good reason to consider Lopez. He's got a nice scoring touch and will help on the boards, BUT he is not a great defender and low post defense may be this teams greatest need. Then add in that he is a bit older so can't really be considered a key piece in a rebuild.   (Young core: Bradley, Smart, Young, Crowder, Thomas. I would trade Sully and/or Olynyk as they are attractive to other teams. Bass is the salary fill.)

Finally, Brook's the injury history is scary.

No thanks.
word for word

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 07:15:08 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I just went over the "why" Lopez won't opt out in another thread so I won't rehash the argument here, but to the bolded: No, he can't.

Assuming that Lopez and/or his agent knows how the CBA works, he won't opt out of his contract.

That's a short sighted assumption. Opting out this summer would allow him to get more money than he would simply by playing next season and risking another setback injury wise. A potential 4 year deal would provide long term security, and given his potential health risk, probably the wisest approach. This is regardless of any rule prohibiting him being able to opt out.

What would you take? High risk...16.7M for next season and hoping you are injury free for a bigger payday in the summer or taking 60M over 4 years (a very modest figure actually)?

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 07:20:29 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

That's a short sighted assumption. Opting out this summer would allow him to get more money than he would simply by playing next season and risking another setback injury wise. A potential 4 year deal would provide long term security, and given his potential health risk, probably the wisest approach. This is regardless of any rule prohibiting him being able to opt out.

What would you take? High risk...16.7M for next season and hoping you are injury free for a bigger payday in the summer or taking 60M over 4 years (a very modest figure actually)?
I could certainly see a guy his age with his injury history opting out as one more big injusry next year and he is in big trouble. Opting out this year could let him get good security on a 4 year deal. Staying in Brooklyn next year opens him up for a potentially huge pay day as everyone will have cap space thus everyone will look for some big signings and if he stays healthy someone will overpay, but if he is hurt again he could lose big money. His agent will asses the market and I bet if he figures he could get the 60 over four deal you outlined he would opt out and take that last big contract.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 08:43:11 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

I'll refer you to this thread here:
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=77259.0

But you can find the crux of the discussion in this exchange, which is giving me deja vu:

Why would Lopez opt out, though?
Considering his frequent health issues, he might want to opt out to get the security of a multi-year deal.

That's exactly why he wouldn't opt out -- he's going to get another contract after this one, failing a career-ending injury, and as an offensively gifted center operating after a massive increase to the salary cap, he's not going to be left starving.

What he won't get is a fully guaranteed $16 million next year if he does leave the Nets.
I didn't say Lopez was necessarily going to leave the Nets.  Just that he might opt out for a multi-year deal.  If a team isn't going to give him $16 mil guaranteed next year, why would they do it the following year?   
they wouldn't, which was his point.  He takes the 16 million next year and just enters free agency the year after, where he will sign a 4 year deal in the same general neighborhood of a 4 year deal he would sign this summer, except that he wouldn't have 16 million.

Speaking of assumptions, there  are several that are being made in the line of thinking that Lopez will opt out, some of them are best left to medical professionals with access to his vitals, and some of them are being made without a real thought (IMO) into just how much the salary cap is going to increase.

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 11:41:24 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I'll refer you to this thread here:
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=77259.0

But you can find the crux of the discussion in this exchange, which is giving me deja vu:

Why would Lopez opt out, though?
Considering his frequent health issues, he might want to opt out to get the security of a multi-year deal.

That's exactly why he wouldn't opt out -- he's going to get another contract after this one, failing a career-ending injury, and as an offensively gifted center operating after a massive increase to the salary cap, he's not going to be left starving.

What he won't get is a fully guaranteed $16 million next year if he does leave the Nets.
I didn't say Lopez was necessarily going to leave the Nets.  Just that he might opt out for a multi-year deal.  If a team isn't going to give him $16 mil guaranteed next year, why would they do it the following year?   
they wouldn't, which was his point.  He takes the 16 million next year and just enters free agency the year after, where he will sign a 4 year deal in the same general neighborhood of a 4 year deal he would sign this summer, except that he wouldn't have 16 million.

Speaking of assumptions, there  are several that are being made in the line of thinking that Lopez will opt out, some of them are best left to medical professionals with access to his vitals, and some of them are being made without a real thought (IMO) into just how much the salary cap is going to increase.

Aren't you guilty of the same thing though? Even going so far as to say him and his agent should see a psychologist if he opts out despite the logic (namely his injury history) to support doing just that.