Author Topic: Taking a look at Brook Lopez  (Read 6497 times)

Re: Taking a look at Brook Lopez
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 09:16:38 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
For sure.  :D

However, the assumption that Lopez will get injured seems to be powering the idea that he opts out -- I don't think Lopez is going into the season with that assumption, so it makes no sense for him to give up $16 million to get 4/$60 one year sooner: the deal's going to be there in a year's time assuming he doesn't collapse into dust.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 09:31:34 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Nets are what they are .....playing good or better without KG and Pierce ,  doing more with less,   Kind of looking like what they should have been two years ago., with the mega roster.

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 04:12:34 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
He's not going to opt out.

If he does (and he won't), I would absolutely look at him. And then check him and his agent into serious sessions with the psychologist of my choice.

Why wouldn't he? He's been playing exceptionally well since the break and there will be suitors this summer. Moreover, he can sign a long term deal this summer, with a player option after the first year. This way he gets long term security from the new deal, but also allows him to take advantage of the new CBA deal should he have a solid/injury free year.

I just went over the "why" Lopez won't opt out in another thread so I won't rehash the argument here, but to the bolded: No, he can't.
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q59

Assuming that Lopez and/or his agent knows how the CBA works, he won't opt out of his contract.

That's a short sighted assumption. Opting out this summer would allow him to get more money than he would simply by playing next season and risking another setback injury wise. A potential 4 year deal would provide long term security, and given his potential health risk, probably the wisest approach. This is regardless of any rule prohibiting him being able to opt out.

What would you take? High risk...16.7M for next season and hoping you are injury free for a bigger payday in the summer or taking 60M over 4 years (a very modest figure actually)?

I'll refer you to this thread here:
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=77259.0

But you can find the crux of the discussion in this exchange, which is giving me deja vu:

Why would Lopez opt out, though?
Considering his frequent health issues, he might want to opt out to get the security of a multi-year deal.

That's exactly why he wouldn't opt out -- he's going to get another contract after this one, failing a career-ending injury, and as an offensively gifted center operating after a massive increase to the salary cap, he's not going to be left starving.

What he won't get is a fully guaranteed $16 million next year if he does leave the Nets.
I didn't say Lopez was necessarily going to leave the Nets.  Just that he might opt out for a multi-year deal.  If a team isn't going to give him $16 mil guaranteed next year, why would they do it the following year?   
they wouldn't, which was his point.  He takes the 16 million next year and just enters free agency the year after, where he will sign a 4 year deal in the same general neighborhood of a 4 year deal he would sign this summer, except that he wouldn't have 16 million.

Speaking of assumptions, there  are several that are being made in the line of thinking that Lopez will opt out, some of them are best left to medical professionals with access to his vitals, and some of them are being made without a real thought (IMO) into just how much the salary cap is going to increase.

D.o.s., you were saying?

Zach Lowe-
Most execs expect Lopez to opt out and enter free agency after rampaging across the league over the last month.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nba-groupon-games-which-players-are-the-next-free-agent-steals/
(it's in the last paragraph of the Teletovic part)

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 04:42:00 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Pass.

Sure he can play offense. But he is a complete black hole on offense, a poor rebounder for his size, injury prone, doesn't defend well, and is just too dang slow. Imagine him and Evan Turner on the court together at the same time? It would be like watching slo-mo highlights. Lopez will be a great fit somewhere, but our up tempo pace and space system wouldn't be a good fit for him at all. Especially alongside PFs like KO and Sully.

Speed it up!

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 04:56:08 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

If he does (and he won't), I would absolutely look at him. And then check him and his agent into serious sessions with the psychologist of my choice.

Why wouldn't he? He's been playing exceptionally well since the break and there will be suitors this summer. Moreover, he can sign a long term deal this summer, with a player option after the first year. This way he gets long term security from the new deal, but also allows him to take advantage of the new CBA deal should he have a solid/injury free year.

I just went over the "why" Lopez won't opt out in another thread so I won't rehash the argument here, but to the bolded: No, he can't.

Assuming that Lopez and/or his agent knows how the CBA works, he won't opt out of his contract.

That's a short sighted assumption. Opting out this summer would allow him to get more money than he would simply by playing next season and risking another setback injury wise. A potential 4 year deal would provide long term security, and given his potential health risk, probably the wisest approach. This is regardless of any rule prohibiting him being able to opt out.

What would you take? High risk...16.7M for next season and hoping you are injury free for a bigger payday in the summer or taking 60M over 4 years (a very modest figure actually)?

But you can find the crux of the discussion in this exchange, which is giving me deja vu:

Considering his frequent health issues, he might want to opt out to get the security of a multi-year deal.

That's exactly why he wouldn't opt out -- he's going to get another contract after this one, failing a career-ending injury, and as an offensively gifted center operating after a massive increase to the salary cap, he's not going to be left starving.

What he won't get is a fully guaranteed $16 million next year if he does leave the Nets.
I didn't say Lopez was necessarily going to leave the Nets.  Just that he might opt out for a multi-year deal.  If a team isn't going to give him $16 mil guaranteed next year, why would they do it the following year?   
they wouldn't, which was his point.  He takes the 16 million next year and just enters free agency the year after, where he will sign a 4 year deal in the same general neighborhood of a 4 year deal he would sign this summer, except that he wouldn't have 16 million.

Speaking of assumptions, there  are several that are being made in the line of thinking that Lopez will opt out, some of them are best left to medical professionals with access to his vitals, and some of them are being made without a real thought (IMO) into just how much the salary cap is going to increase.

D.o.s., you were saying?

Zach Lowe-
Most execs expect Lopez to opt out and enter free agency after rampaging across the league over the last month.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nba-groupon-games-which-players-are-the-next-free-agent-steals/

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. That's the nature of having an opinion, however informed it may be, none of us can tell the future.  Rest assured I won't be so petty as to bump the thread if he opts in.  :)

I'd love to talk to Zach about the rationale behind the statement, though. As it stands it's kind of a tossed off sentence that doesn't really relate to this discussion (in fact, it's fairly "multiple sauces" at this point).
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 06:44:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think that ship sailed on trading for him.  I brought up trading for Brook when he was coming back from the injury and relegated to bench duty.  His trade value seemed at an all-time low.  I got laughed off when I suggested it. 

Now he's leading his team to the playoffs averaging 21 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks on 57% shooting and 75% from the line.   

If he opts out... sure I'd be interested. 

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 06:59:10 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
He's a fantastic player, but look at his games played:

That alone should make the answer "no."  You can't lock up a ton of money in someone who is in an injury pattern that suggests they'll only play 17 games next year.

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 07:00:46 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Meh...

He wouldn't be on the Celtics team 1/2 season and he'd be  hurt and it's  back to square one.

I don't think he has the intensity of his brother.   Just a nice soft shooting touch and a glass body.

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2015, 07:23:30 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Don't look too long or hard—your intense stares will likely cause him injury.  ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2015, 07:40:17 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

That alone should make the answer "no."  You can't lock up a ton of money in someone who is in an injury pattern that suggests they'll only play 17 games next year.
Those games played numbers aren't as bad as I thought they would look.  In 5 out of 7 seasons, he played most of the games.

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 07:54:19 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
I took a look, and then I moved along.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 08:07:24 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Yes, I would be interested in Brook Lopez, he is a rim protector and scorer.  Look at what Stevens has done with Zeller and imagine what he could do with Brook.

I would prefer Robin Lopez though, as he is a much better defender and overall player in my opinion, and is healthy.  Although Brook really only has had injuries in two seasons during his career. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2015, 08:45:49 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

D.o.s., you were saying?

Zach Lowe-

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. That's the nature of having an opinion, however informed it may be, none of us can tell the future.  Rest assured I won't be so petty as to bump the thread if he opts in.  :)

I'd love to talk to Zach about the rationale behind the statement, though. As it stands it's kind of a tossed off sentence that doesn't really relate to this discussion (in fact, it's fairly "multiple sauces" at this point).

I normally wouldn't have posted it, but you were really adamant in saying he would not opt out. In fact, you suggested him and his agent should be institutionalized if they did, despite his injury history suggesting he should play it safe and take the certain money this summer. The rationale behind the statement is straight forward. Lopez is a huge injury risk so the smart move is to take the money this summer rather than risking another foot injury and ending up with next to nothing.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 08:53:13 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2015, 09:20:05 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Brook Lopez is a funny one.
He's like Roy Hibbert, without the top 3 rim protection ability but far better offensive game.

If he wasn't a walking insurance policy I'd take a look, but I'd actually prefer his brother at this stage of their careers.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2015, 10:19:09 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

Those games played numbers aren't as bad as I thought they would look.  In 5 out of 7 seasons, he played most of the games.

That's one way of looking at it.  The other way is that he was healthy, then got a debilitating injury and was never the same