Author Topic: Report: Celtics turned down multiple offers for Avery Bradley  (Read 12991 times)

Re: Report: Celtics turned down multiple offers for Avery Bradley
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 02:41:12 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
If Kyle "F" ing Korver can make it to an All Star Game , than Bradley can make it. HE just needs the right situation and team....obviously.

Kyle Korver breaks defenses...

Avery Bradley doesn't...

Maybe.... but he can't break offenses.

Then he has something in common with Bradley?

Korver's offense >>>> Bradley's defense

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 04:05:15 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I liked the idea of dumping Bradley's contract and getting a 1st.  He's not that good and the money can probably be better spent on the free agent market.  But once we committed money to Thomas that cut into our cap space, it kinda put a damper on my hope of luring a couple max contract players here through free agency.  If we ever land a star here it's going to have to be through a trade package.

Ainge isn't gonna resign all our expiring guys. We'll have room for a max free agent if one is willing to sign here. Possibly even two is he's willing to dump the two PHI 2nds or maybe the DAL 1st to get rod of Wallace's deal a year early. He would of we really had two max-level guys wanting to play here .

Bradley's only 23, he's on a fair-value and soon to be good-value contract. He's a 40% 3 point shooter who plays top-tier defense and by all accounts is a good guy to have around your franchise. The kinda deals Danny left on the table for him this year will be there again. No reason to just dump him off for mediocre return. Cap room is over-valued in my opinion.

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 04:27:03 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Teams called about Bradley and one of them was actually willing to give up a 1st rounder for Lindsey Hunter 2.0 ;D in addition to an expiring contract? :o Wow.  I would have taken that deal in a heartbeat, lol. ;D MJ, is that you? ;) ;D Ahaha. ;D

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 04:29:22 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I liked the idea of dumping Bradley's contract and getting a 1st.  He's not that good and the money can probably be better spent on the free agent market.  But once we committed money to Thomas that cut into our cap space, it kinda put a damper on my hope of luring a couple max contract players here through free agency.  If we ever land a star here it's going to have to be through a trade package.

Apparently Danny liked Bradley more than a pick that may be in the 25-30 range.

And yet he took a very similar return for Rondo. :o Umm...

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 06:25:27 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

And yet he took a very similar return for Rondo. :o Umm...

The difference is Rondo was gonna be a free agent, and had expressed already that he wanted out.

Bradley was signed on for a few more years.

Plus we got two first round picks, and two decent role players in Crowder/Wright, who was traded for another protected first round pick. So ultimately, for Rondo we got 3 first round picks.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 07:01:31 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
There is no comparison between the Rondo and possible AB deals. Even though Rondo at his best is the far superior player, he seems to be a diminishing talent who didn't see the C's as part of his future, and we picked up good assets on the deal.

AB seems to love being here and he is growing in his role. AB is no Paul Pierce but we don't have a PP, you could do a lot worse than have an AB.

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2015, 07:13:05 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25

Ainge isn't gonna resign all our expiring guys. We'll have room for a max free agent if one is willing to sign here. Possibly even two is he's willing to dump the two PHI 2nds or maybe the DAL 1st to get rod of Wallace's deal a year early. He would of we really had two max-level guys wanting to play here .

Bradley's only 23, he's on a fair-value and soon to be good-value contract. He's a 40% 3 point shooter who plays top-tier defense and by all accounts is a good guy to have around your franchise. The kinda deals Danny left on the table for him this year will be there again. No reason to just dump him off for mediocre return. Cap room is over-valued in my opinion.

Avery is a 36% 3pt shooter which is good but not great.

His advanced metrics suck since he doesn't penetrate. Doesn't get to the FT line. Doesn't rebound and is one of the worst passing SG in the NBA.

He is also undersized, and gets bullied by opposing SG who have 2"5" height and 20-40 lbs weight advantage on him. He is a bench player on a good team - and should not even start for our team. I am not hating on the guy - but he is a SG stuck in a PG body and that is a big problem in the NBA.....

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2015, 11:49:24 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
First of all, late first round picks are pretty much garbage.  Sure, you can hit on a player every once in a while but most of the time you are drafting a future d league all star...maybe.

I see no reason why Avery couldn't be part of the future here.  Will Avery ever be a star?  Probably not but he is definitely trending up.  And he would be extremely useful on a contending team as a sixth man type who brings a little of everything to the table. 

Why do we think contending teams were trying to trade for Avery?  Because they see it as well.

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2015, 11:53:17 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
He's a cost controlled borderline starting caliber shooting guard under team control for the next three seasons.  Why the heck would you give him up for a late first rounder (which doesn't mean much) and an expiring?

Especially with the league dynamic that is about to change greatly in regards to the salary cap?  What was once looking like a potential albatross deal is now looking very good going forward.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2015, 12:07:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Bradley is better than a pick in that range.  I still would have done it though, because it gave more big picture flexibility.  I argued earlier in the season that the money would be better spent on the free agent market.  So you wouldn't be getting just a late 1st for Bradley... You'd be getting a late 1st plus who you signed with the cap space (like afflalo for example). 

At this point I don't really care.  I have faith in Ainge.  I'm rooting for a playoff appearance and I'll hold out hope for a trade miracle this summer.

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2015, 12:50:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

His advanced metrics suck since he doesn't penetrate. Doesn't get to the FT line. Doesn't rebound and is one of the worst passing SG in the NBA.

He is also undersized, and gets bullied by opposing SG who have 2"5" height and 20-40 lbs weight advantage on him. He is a bench player on a good team - and should not even start for our team. I am not hating on the guy - but he is a SG stuck in a PG body and that is a big problem in the NBA.....
I agree with all this (I've been pushing for a Thomas/Smart starting back court for awhile), but that said it isn't like Bradley has a crippling contract.  Good quality bench players have contracts in the general range of Bradley, especially when they are as young as he is. 

Of course, there is no real point in acquiring the good quality bench players before you don't have your "stars" since you can't win with a team of good quality bench players. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2015, 01:12:25 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
The guy continues to better his game and is more consistent.  It's easy to see why Ainge would keep him.  You need to come with a better package if you want this player.

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2015, 01:38:57 PM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25

I agree with all this (I've been pushing for a Thomas/Smart starting back court for awhile), but that said it isn't like Bradley has a crippling contract.  Good quality bench players have contracts in the general range of Bradley, especially when they are as young as he is. 

Of course, there is no real point in acquiring the good quality bench players before you don't have your "stars" since you can't win with a team of good quality bench players.

I am not hating on AB. He does some things very well and can be teamed up with a ball handling wing - so he can switch to the PG in defense. Over the summer I was hoping we bring in Lance (glad we dodged that bullet) and pair him with AB - but seeing as we have Turner, how about we can run them in Tandem.

BTW, Marcus Smart has been the best thing to happen to AB since he can guard guys who are 6"6 due to his diesel physique and bulldog mentality...

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2015, 01:46:59 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
He's better than his rep on this site, IMO. 

Having said that, he's a bit frustrating for me to watch.  There's no reason that a guy with his quickness, length and athleticism shouldn't be able to get to the basket and finish there.  He doesn't have a great handle, but it's good enough to beat a man on a two-bounce drive to the hoop.  But he doesn't do that - rather than attacking the paint, he'll just use his quickness to move laterally and put up a jumper (which, to his credit, he makes at a better rate than most). 

Even when he does go to the rim, he's never looking to challenge anybody.  He's a solid player now, but IMO he'd be a much better offensive weapon if he forced the issue - get those layups or get fouled.  I'd love to see him make a concerted effort to get to the line four or five times per game, because it's so, so difficult to be an efficient offensive weapon as a jumpshooter unless you're Kyle Korver.

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2015, 01:51:34 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Just a thought, other than shooting what did Ray Allen do that was better than Avery? My point is a lot of people on here were very very content with Ray Allen, but to be honest, I think Avery is a better all around player now than Ray Allen was 08-11.