Author Topic: The love affair with Philadelphia  (Read 56128 times)

Re: The love affair with Philadelphia
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2015, 12:39:27 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm super jealous of philly fans. It's rebuilding done the right way.  Hard not to be envious of that teams potential.  Should be a legit playoff team in a couple years. 

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2015, 12:44:47 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
They keep taking the same player.  So they have ten centers ,  like in Utah found out , only one star center will ALL the glory.  Be the man , play the lead role .

So they have no other players ......they need to get the other four positions at some point , or their TEN lottery pick centers will say screw this , pack up and bolt.

Like Washington took Wall and Cavs Irving........why should all those centers want to stay on a D league team with a nothing coach and GM.....plus a ticked off fan base getting the shaft year after year.

Not a single thing you just wrote is accurate...

Noel is a PF.

Brett Brown is a very good coach.

Robert Covington is clearly a good rotation player.

Jerami Grant vs Marcus Smart's stats... Are pretty much identical efficiency wise. One was a top 10 pick and one was a 2nd rounder. Smart might be a tick better overall, but Grant's been better behind the arc.

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2015, 12:57:28 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
They keep taking the same player.  So they have ten centers ,  like in Utah found out , only one star center will ALL the glory.  Be the man , play the lead role .

So they have no other players ......they need to get the other four positions at some point , or their TEN lottery pick centers will say screw this , pack up and bolt.

Like Washington took Wall and Cavs Irving........why should all those centers want to stay on a D league team with a nothing coach and GM.....plus a ticked off fan base getting the shaft year after year.

Noel is a PF.

Jerami Grant vs Marcus Smart's stats... Are pretty much identical efficiency wise. One was a top 10 pick and one was a 2nd rounder. Smart might be a tick better overall, but Grant's been better behind the arc.

Randy I will ask you since you probably actually watch 76ers game compared to some of the posters that blindly defend them. On this board the following has been said

Embiid - Best prospect from 2014-2016 draft class

Noel - One of best defensive rookie seasons in NBA season, more impressive than Anthony Davis as a Rookie (although admitting Davis is better offensively

Covington - Would be a solid rotation player on a playoff team

Sims - Would be a solid rotation player on a playoff team

Thompson - Would be a solid rotation player on a playoff

Canaan and Sampson are assets

Grant - I guess comparable to Smart?

Do you disagree with any of them. Obviously a few of them you have said in this thread, but when you look at the picture, do you really think it is possibly that Philly has struck gold 5 times this season in finding NBA rotation players that were undrafted, out of the league or late second rounders? Most teams have less than one a season. I can't really think of the last time the Celtics found a playoff rotation player late second round or undrafted. Perhaps Powe.

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2015, 01:19:49 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I'm super jealous of philly fans. It's rebuilding done the right way.  Hard not to be envious of that teams potential.  Should be a legit playoff team in a couple years.

Should be ?

They 'should be' better than the Celtics THIS year.  Instead, the rebuilding Celtics have handed them double digit loss after double digit loss.

You're never guaranteed anything tanking to rebuild.  Just look at the 76er's.  They should already be a legit playoff contender and instead they're far from it.

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2015, 01:07:11 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum

Noel is a PF.

Randy I will ask you since you probably actually watch 76ers game compared to some of the posters that blindly defend them. On this board the following has been said

Noel - One of best defensive rookie seasons in NBA season, more impressive than Anthony Davis as a Rookie (although admitting Davis is better offensively

Do you disagree with any of them. Obviously a few of them you have said in this thread, but when you look at the picture, do you really think it is possibly that Philly has struck gold 5 times this season in finding NBA rotation players that were undrafted, out of the league or late second rounders? Most teams have less than one a season. I can't really think of the last time the Celtics found a playoff rotation player late second round or undrafted. Perhaps Powe.

The last one I would say that as prospects Smart is better. But should be tempered a bit from the love affair here. He's going to be a good NBA player, and a starter. The future star thing a bit ridiculous IMO.

Sims sucks dude. Sims shouldn't be on our team. And we freaking suck this year.

Canaan can shoot. Sampson can defend. They are not assets, but they're worth a look on a team with draft picks for days that can fill those spots if they don't pan out. I like Canaan for 10 mins a game as like your "down by 10 need a couple heat check 3s" guy. He's not a PG. Sampson is one of those fringe NBA guys who coaches have an irrational love affair with. I doubt either will be here in 2-3 years.

Thompson can shoot, that's about it. He's worth another year on this team. Would not be a rotation player on a  team contending yet. Meh defense, no ability to get to the hole, not a great passer. He's another lotto ticket. I think there's a chance he finds a role if nothing else as instant offense from 3 in the NBA.

Now for what I agree on:

-Brown is a good coach. The team tries hard despite being less talented than everybody but the Knicks. We get shots at the rim and beyond the arc, we just don't make them because we have wayyyyy too many offensively limited players. He's crafted a solid D on a team with what everybody claims is "D-League" caliber.

-Embiid is the best prospect in terms of ceiling. His injury history is scary. I'm good with the risk, but if you hate injury history then Wiggins is fair.

-Nerlens is a better rookie defender than Davis, not a better rookie player overall. Might be the best 21 and under rookie defender ever(excludes guys like Robinson who were 24 as rooks).

-Covington is tall, long and can shoot. His 3s are contested at an outrageous rate and he still is a good shooter from deep. Definitely a roataion player and his contract is awesome.

I don't think anything I said there was particularly unreasonable. And TBH, I don't think Philly or Boston are ahead/behind on the rebuilds. Ainge and Hinkie are smart and practical. both teams have tons of picks, cap space, good coaches and front office synergy.

Can't wait till Cs-Sixers goes to 7 in the ECF(which hopefully by then is the de facto finals).

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2015, 01:31:08 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Should be ?

They 'should be' better than the Celtics THIS year.  Instead, the rebuilding Celtics have handed them double digit loss after double digit loss.

You're never guaranteed anything tanking to rebuild.  Just look at the 76er's.  They should already be a legit playoff contender and instead they're far from it.

This Couldn't be further from the truth.
why should they be expected to be better than us? Their rebuild has essentially been 18 months and they've managed to haul two elite young prospect big men.
They didn't even 'tank' for Noel,  they just sucked and made a good trade for Jrue Holiday.

What exactly will the Celtics have after this season? A few mid first round picks and no elite prospects other than Marcus Smart. Oh yay we'll make the playoffs and then what? Bass will leave, we'll try and trade Turner For a few 2nd round picks and perhaps James Young will become a rotation player. Whooooo!
we are far closer to no man's land than you think.

You're never guaranteed anything in ANY kind of rebuild.

The blind hate for Philly is so, so dumb and like LarBrd33,  I'm VERY jealous of their roster.
If only we had pieces like that with our coach.
Without free agents we are nothing.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2015, 01:33:40 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Noel is a PF.

The last one I would say that as prospects Smart is better. But should be tempered a bit from the love affair here. He's going to be a good NBA player, and a starter. The future star thing a bit ridiculous IMO.

Canaan can shoot. Sampson can defend. They are not assets, but they're worth a look on a team with draft picks for days that can fill those spots if they don't pan out. I like Canaan for 10 mins a game as like your "down by 10 need a couple heat check 3s" guy. He's not a PG. Sampson is one of those fringe NBA guys who coaches have an irrational love affair with. I doubt either will be here in 2-3 years.

Thompson can shoot, that's about it. He's worth another year on this team. Would not be a rotation player on a  team contending yet. Meh defense, no ability to get to the hole, not a great passer. He's another lotto ticket. I think there's a chance he finds a role if nothing else as instant offense from 3 in the NBA.

Now for what I agree on:

-Brown is a good coach. The team tries hard despite being less talented than everybody but the Knicks. We get shots at the rim and beyond the arc, we just don't make them because we have wayyyyy too many offensively limited players. He's crafted a solid D on a team with what everybody claims is "D-League" caliber.

-Embiid is the best prospect in terms of ceiling. His injury history is scary. I'm good with the risk, but if you hate injury history then Wiggins is fair.

-Nerlens is a better rookie defender than Davis, not a better rookie player overall. Might be the best 21 and under rookie defender ever(excludes guys like Robinson who were 24 as rooks).

-Covington is tall, long and can shoot. His 3s are contested at an outrageous rate and he still is a good shooter from deep. Definitely a roataion player and his contract is awesome.

I don't think anything I said there was particularly unreasonable. And TBH, I don't think Philly or Boston are ahead/behind on the rebuilds. Ainge and Hinkie are smart and practical. both teams have tons of picks, cap space, good coaches and front office synergy.

Can't wait till Cs-Sixers goes to 7 in the ECF(which hopefully by then is the de facto finals).
TP for the quite reasonable response.  A couple questions.  What do you think of Wroten?  Who do you want the Sixers to take with their 1st pick? 

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2015, 01:44:22 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I don't love philly roster or any single player yet by any stretch. Some of the moves they have made are pretty ugly as well. But I admire their guts to go full tank mode. I wouldn't want to C's to do it that way only because  it is too much risk IMO. You may have to suck 5 years before you are good. By then the first talent crop you drafted are already FAs and may walk cause they hate all the sucking so long. Then again if they hit like OKC and pay their players they are golden. I say good luck to them and hope it's a epic Atlantic division with a Good Knicks, 76ers, and C's. (NOT Nets)

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2015, 02:07:59 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum

Noel is a PF.

Now for what I agree on:

TP for the quite reasonable response.  A couple questions.  What do you think of Wroten?  Who do you want the Sixers to take with their 1st pick?

Wroten man... I have no idea. You're talking about a guy who can get to the rim with no spacing, no outside shot and no right hand. That's incredibly impressive.... but honestly I'm not sure he's an NBA player. He has to learn how to shoot FTs, pass the ball to players on the court instead of fans in the 2nd row and play this thing called defense.

I wish I could give his driving ability to Kyle Korver, because good lord unleash the kraken.

To me Russell is the guy. If we get the Lakers pick at #6 I want Hezonja or Winslow. Don't want Okafor or Porzingis, love Towns the prospect not Towns the Sixer. Mudiay is a wild card, I like him but man that shot reminds me of MCW all over again lol.

My optimal draft based on realistic picks conveying:

3 - Russell
16 - Oubre/Johnson/Hezonja/Looney (hoping one is there)
19 - Grant/Dunn/Wright

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2015, 02:25:37 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think both teams are built with a lot of the same concepts in mind... cap space, star prospects, trade assets.  People always talk about how Boston is in some great position to lure free agents or trade for a star if one becomes available.  Fact is, Philly has more cap space and is in better position to trade for a star if one becomes available. 

Here's the thing... if you were to put all the trade assets from both teams in a pool and rank them... it would give you an idea of why a lot of people here are envious of Philly.  I'll take a rough shot at it.

#1 - Embiid
#2 - Noel
#3 - Philly's 2015 Top 4 pick

Then there's a massive chasm.  All three of those are blue-chip assets that can reasonably develop into superstar talent or be the centerpiece of a trade for one.  The assets listed below are considerably less valuable at the moment. 

#4 - Marcus Smart

#5 - Dario Saric draft rights
#5 - Laker's 2016 1st rounder (top 3 protected) owed to Philly... depends on LA's summer
#6 - Philly's 2016 1st ... Would guesstimate it will still be top 8 next year

#7 - Boston's 2015 #15 pick
#8 - Miami's 2015 #16 pick (owed to Philly)
#9 - Jared Sullinger
#10 - Oklahoma's 2015 #19 pick (owed to Philly)
#11 - Brooklyn's 2016 1st (mid 1st?)
#12 - Avery Bradley
#13 - Kelly Olynyk
#14 - Clippers 2015 #26 pick

Seem about right?

I think to get any of Philly's 3 best assets you'd probably have to include Marcus Smart + Sullinger + our 2015 1st rounder.    Those three top Philly assets are significantly more valuable than anything we have on this team.  We kind of saw proof of this over the offseason where Cleveland dramatically overpaid for an all-star by giving up an elite prospect (Wiggins).  From everything I read, a healthy Embiid was seen as a superior prospect to Wiggins.  Meanwhile, Minny laughed off our offer of Sullinger/Oly + #6 + a future 1st... and frankly, the #6 pick was more valuable before we used it.  Smart, while a good defender, has dubious star potential.

That should give you an idea of why I envy Philly fans.  It would take a really incompetent GM for them to blow this.  They have every option we have and more.

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2015, 02:35:28 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
I don't love philly roster or any single player yet by any stretch. Some of the moves they have made are pretty ugly as well. But I admire their guts to go full tank mode. I wouldn't want to C's to do it that way only because  it is too much risk IMO. You may have to suck 5 years before you are good. By then the first talent crop you drafted are already FAs and may walk cause they hate all the sucking so long. Then again if they hit like OKC and pay their players they are golden. I say good luck to them and hope it's a epic Atlantic division with a Good Knicks, 76ers, and C's. (NOT Nets)
What moves have they made that you think are ugly?  They are not just tanking to get better.  They have traded for several good 1st round picks and a bunch of 2nd rounders.  They have a lot of cap space available.  Their first talent crop consists of Noel (2nd year) and Saric (still in Europe so not under contract yet).  Players in their 1st contract become restricted free agents.  The only way they can just walk away is if they give up a lot of money by taking their qualifying offer.  Monroe did it this year but it doesn't happen very often. 

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2015, 03:00:52 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
I think both teams are built with a lot of the same concepts in mind... cap space, star prospects, trade assets.  People always talk about how Boston is in some great position to lure free agents or trade for a star if one becomes available.  Fact is, Philly has more cap space and is in better position to trade for a star if one becomes available. 

Here's the thing... if you were to put all the trade assets from both teams in a pool and rank them... it would give you an idea of why a lot of people here are envious of Philly.  I'll take a rough shot at it.

#1 - Embiid
#2 - Noel

Then there's a massive chasm.  All three of those are blue-chip assets that can reasonably develop into superstar talent or be the centerpiece of a trade for one.  The assets listed below are considerably less valuable at the moment. 

#4 - Marcus Smart

#5 - Laker's 2016 1st rounder (top 3 protected) owed to Philly... depends on LA's summer

#9 - Jared Sullinger
#12 - Avery Bradley
#13 - Kelly Olynyk

Seem about right?

I think to get any of Philly's 3 best assets you'd probably have to include Marcus Smart + Sullinger + our 2015 1st rounder.    Those three top Philly assets are significantly more valuable than anything we have on this team.  We kind of saw proof of this over the offseason where Cleveland dramatically overpaid for an all-star by giving up an elite prospect (Wiggins).  From everything I read, a healthy Embiid was seen as a superior prospect to Wiggins.  Meanwhile, Minny laughed off our offer of Sullinger/Oly + #6 + a future 1st... and frankly, the #6 pick was more valuable before we used it.  Smart, while a good defender, has dubious star potential.

That should give you an idea of why I envy Philly fans.  It would take a really incompetent GM for them to blow this.  They have every option we have and more.
Pretty reasonable.  You left off the Celtics 2016 pick and Young.  I understand stopping at 2016 but that leaves of the potential 2017 Nets swap and the 2018 Nets pick.  None of that significantly alters your premise that the Sixers have better assets.   

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2015, 03:08:45 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

#1 - Embiid
#2 - Noel

#4 - Marcus Smart

#9 - Jared Sullinger
#12 - Avery Bradley
#13 - Kelly Olynyk

Seem about right?

Good summary, TP.

imagine those assets with a coach like Stevens.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2015, 03:51:03 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
What moves have they made that you think are ugly?  They are not just tanking to get better.  They have traded for several good 1st round picks and a bunch of 2nd rounders.  They have a lot of cap space available.  Their first talent crop consists of Noel (2nd year) and Saric (still in Europe so not under contract yet).  Players in their 1st contract become restricted free agents.  The only way they can just walk away is if they give up a lot of money by taking their qualifying offer.  Monroe did it this year but it doesn't happen very often.

I don't think my opinion would matter to you as I can tell you are all in with Philly but here it is. What I find ugly is waiving numerous NBA players though just bench quality is bad business. Taking on salary and cap hits in added years in some of the waivers for low 1st doesn't help as low 1st usually just net you bench players. 2nd round picks hardly ever make past 4 years in the NBA so those are probably garbage. I like the higher picks like the Laker one "potentially" but when you give up a player with talent and potential to get it it's just going in circles. Even when they moved Young they didn't get much just moved him to be a worse team, no good compensation for a player that was producing at okay $. KJ looked like a draft steal but he could have won them a few games by himself so he got traded, smh. The things I like that Philly has done is the drafting and the "guts" to put a DL team out every night to have a horrible record guaranteeing a top 5 pick. The waiver scrubs that philly fans want to call players are a not even worth talking about either. Hink isn't a genius he just has guts. Being as bad a as possible isn't hard. Getting low picks for NBA players isn't hard. Having cap space comes from not having any one on the team worth paying. Had Hink been scoring better deals I'd be impressed but right now his job is easy.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 06:21:31 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2015, 04:30:49 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Just playing along for top 20 Assets besides cap space I'd go
#1 - Philly's 2015 Top 4 pick
2. Noel
3. Smart
4. Embid (big man with injuries can't be #1 till healthy)
5. Philly 2016 1st
6. CBS
7. Laker's 2016 1st rounder (top 3 protected)
8. Sully
9. IT
10. Saric
11. Young
12. Boston 2015 1st
13. Miami's 2015 #16 pick
14. Brooklyn 2016 1st
15. Dallas 1st
16.  Avery Bradley
17. Brooklyn swap
18. OK 2015 1st
19. Brooklyn 2018