Author Topic: The love affair with Philadelphia  (Read 56159 times)

Re: The love affair with Philadelphia
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2015, 04:58:55 PM »

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7
I don't love philly roster or any single player yet by any stretch. Some of the moves they have made are pretty ugly as well. But I admire their guts to go full tank mode. I wouldn't want to C's to do it that way only because  it is too much risk IMO. You may have to suck 5 years before you are good. By then the first talent crop you drafted are already FAs and may walk cause they hate all the sucking so long. Then again if they hit like OKC and pay their players they are golden. I say good luck to them and hope it's a epic Atlantic division with a Good Knicks, 76ers, and C's. (NOT Nets)
What moves have they made that you think are ugly?  They are not just tanking to get better.  They have traded for several good 1st round picks and a bunch of 2nd rounders.  They have a lot of cap space available.  Their first talent crop consists of Noel (2nd year) and Saric (still in Europe so not under contract yet).  Players in their 1st contract become restricted free agents.  The only way they can just walk away is if they give up a lot of money by taking their qualifying offer.  Monroe did it this year but it doesn't happen very often.

I don't think my opinion would matter to you as I can tell you are all in with Philly but here it is. What I find ugly is waiving numerous NBA players though just bench quality is bad business. Taking on salary and cap hits in added years in some of the waivers for low 1st doesn't help as low 1st usually just net you bench players. 2nd round picks hardly ever make past 4 years in the NBA so those are probably garbage. I like the higher picks like the Laker one "potentially" but when you give up a player with talent and potential to get it it's just going in circles. Even when they moved Young they didn't get much just moved him to be a worse team, no good compensation for a player that was producing at okay $. KJ looked like a draft steal but he could have won them a few games by himself so he got traded, smh. The things I like that Philly has done is the drafting and the "guts" to put a DL team out every night to have a horrible record guaranteeing a top 5 pick. The waiver scrubs that philly fans want to call players are a not even worth talking about either. Hink isn't a genius he just has guts. Being as bad a as possible isn't hard. Getting low picks for NBA players isn't hard. Having cap space comes from not having any one on the team worth paying. Had Hink been scoring better deals I'd be impressed but right now his job is easy.

They got a mid 1st round pick for Thad Young who was a pending FA if he opted out(was going to happen). That pick could be anywhere between 11-16. For a slightly above average PF who can't really defend or rebound the position that well. Thad Young's trade value after half a season? The corpse of Kevin Garnett returning for half a season of feel good reunion videos in Minny.

KJ got traded because he is a pending RFA, is probably going to get overpaid, does nothing offensively and he got back a guy picked early in the 2nd + an early 2nd round pick. Hinkie essentially turned an early 2nd round pick for (2) early 2nd round picks...

2nd round picks are not garbage, just stop.

Taking on salary cap for a low first doesn't help? How? It's a first round pick, good players tend to be available late. The more chances you have to hit on one of those lotto tickets the better. If nothing else it is ammo to trade up.

Ish Smith, a 5 year journeyman who has played for like 8 teams has outperformed MCW this year. The fact that we got a probable top 10 pick for a guy who fits that statement is absurdly good value.

And you're completely ignoring that he essentially turned Jrue Holiday into 3 first round picks.
Those are some very weak excuses. Not wanting to pay guys? Really when you are at the cap min. Also most seconds are garbage unless they are like Philly's own. Oh C's own those. But good try. I like their drafting and guts, nothing else. Get over it Philly fans.
Those aren't weak excuses.  How is the Young trade any different than the Green trade except for the fact that Hinkie got much better value (mid 1st rounder vs. probable two seconds)?  There are plenty of cheap role players.  How is overpaying for role players and wasting cap space a good thing to do?  How is Hinkie taking on McGee's salary for a 1st significantly different from Ainge taking on Wallace's salary in exchange for an extra 1st?  Why should Hinkie have held on to MCW rather than trade him for the very good Lakers 1st?  Yes, second rounders are often misses.  That's why accumulating a bunch of them cheaply is a good thing to do.  Of the five second rounders Philly has this draft, two are currently at 35 and 37.
Age of players and prime years is a huge difference between guys DA traded and guys Hink traded. Hink gave up promising long term players for little to just get worse. DA didn't trade AB or Sully. Do you get it?
What promising long term players did he give up just to get a little worse?  He got at mid 1st rounder for Young.  He got a top 10 pick for MCW.  He turned Jrue Holliday into Noel, Saric and the return of their own 2017 1st rounder.  Notice all the value he got back.  He's not dumping anyone just to lose a few games.  Why should age of players matter?  Once you decide a player isn't someone you want to keep, you should trade that player when you get a good offer for them.  Ainge hasn't traded AB because he's only been offered late 1sts.  With his injury and weight issues, Sully is probably worth even less.  Ainge will trade anyone on this roster, even Smart, if he gets a good enough return for them.   

You just named two young promising players that could have contributed. Add KJ then add all the vets they cut that could have contributed. Everyone knows he was trading to tank. You are in denial if you dont think it was all for the tank. Return wasn't his concern getting DL bad was.

What contributing vets have we cut? Cut means something. Words mean things.

You're an idiot. I'm just going to say it. I've used facts as a cudgel against your cranium yet your head apparently is a rock. Here's a list of assets we've obtained for guys we... cut????

-Miami 2015 (top 10 protected pick)
-Lakers 2015(top 5 protected pick)
-New Orleans #10 Pick, flipped for #12 overall and 2017 76ers pick
-Nerlens Noel
-Jerami Grant
-Isaiah Canaan
-Denver 2nd
-OKC top 18 protected pick
-Orl 2nd
-I can't count the # of 2nd picks coming in. We have 5 this year.

I'm done with this stupidity. You just don't know what you're talking about. I've blasted some of the guys Sixers fans champion in this thread. The reality is though, that the Sixers have gotten a ton for the guys they've gotten rid of.
Why dont check your teams transactions? Better yet go back to the 76ers board that is were you can find plenty of people that might join your homer views. The rest of NBA fans don't need the 76er trolls posting about superstars and championships that may never come to be. Your GM and your team are the ultimate tankers don't try to sell it as any thing different here. Enjoy your DL games.

Please. Refute anything I've said.

Welcome to reality. You want to fit facts to an ill informed opinion, and I'm bringing that ignorance back to reality. Deal with it.
Lol dude what facts? We're are talking about opinions on the net for the players and moves. I say the trades have been too geared to be worse and tank. Your own 76ers fans had issues with some of the trades. You name assets like they are locks. You even forget where MCW was drafted when getting a possible worse pick slot in comparison with a 2016 LAL pick. That may be a loss. Oh and again the scrub players like they are border line all stars. Future picks as if they are guaranteed at the top of the draft. 2nds rounders as if they a big deal. You getting mad cause I'm not putting those trades up as good but straight tank trades. Take a look at where your team is in the standings bro. You are tanking and your players suck that is reality. Embid can be the new Oden. If Noel for his D is a superstar why isn't Smart? Please with your foolish asset talk go back to Libertyballess

You're mental. You're just making things up that have never happened now.

Where did I say Noel was a superstar? Although he's definitely a better player than Marcus Smart because he's a better defender.

You haven't supported your opinion with anything but more of your opinion. You said he got bad returns in the . If you believe that, you are a moron. Jrue Holiday for 3 first round picks? Whenever you have the opportunity to refuse 3 first round picks(two in the top 10) for an average start at the league's deepest position you totally turn it down. That's just what you do.

What scrub player have I called a borderline all star?

What future pick have I said was guaranteed at the top of the draft? MCW was picked at 11. a year and a half ago. In that time his biggest weakness has shown no improvement. You don't hang onto a guy you don't like because of "well he's worth less than the pick we're being offered but technically he was the 11 pick and if an awful team lead by a terrible player that uses 35% of his teams possession might leap to pick 12." What kind of GM would analyze trade value like that?

The fan of a team with a losing record in a terrible conference just dropped "check the standings." Seriously? You realize that for you to win a championship you still need to find the two best players on those teams. It's not impossible and Ainge is a good GM, but the fact that you've stocked a roster full of role players before having the roles of them to play doesn't make you closer to a championship.

Here's the hilarious thing. Hinkie and Ainge are using the exact same strategy. Yet your butt hurt never stops.

Not wanting things to be true doesn't make them false. That's not how life works.
I wouldn't trade Smart straight up for Noel. I think you are over valuing Noel. He's got practically no game on offense and is lost on Defense.

And are you a Sixers fan? Cause....

One thing I learned a while back was how jealous Philly people are. I went to a double header NCAA tourney about 8 years ago. Uconn was playing Kentucky back when Rondo was on the team and Villanova was playing Arizona. They were in different regions but they were both set to play at the Wachovia center in Philly. The Philly crowd actually got more into the Uconn game, which they had no team to root for, because of how much they were jealous of Uconn. The whole game, the crowd was pretty loud booing Uconn. Then the Villanova game, I felt like I was more into rooting for them, since they were a bigeast team, then the actual Philly fans.

Another thing I dislike about Philly people is how they think they own the cheese steak. I've had plenty of steak and cheeses that were just as good at other places.

What has Smart shown?

« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2015, 05:03:50 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I don't love philly roster or any single player yet by any stretch. Some of the moves they have made are pretty ugly as well. But I admire their guts to go full tank mode. I wouldn't want to C's to do it that way only because  it is too much risk IMO. You may have to suck 5 years before you are good. By then the first talent crop you drafted are already FAs and may walk cause they hate all the sucking so long. Then again if they hit like OKC and pay their players they are golden. I say good luck to them and hope it's a epic Atlantic division with a Good Knicks, 76ers, and C's. (NOT Nets)
What moves have they made that you think are ugly?  They are not just tanking to get better.  They have traded for several good 1st round picks and a bunch of 2nd rounders.  They have a lot of cap space available.  Their first talent crop consists of Noel (2nd year) and Saric (still in Europe so not under contract yet).  Players in their 1st contract become restricted free agents.  The only way they can just walk away is if they give up a lot of money by taking their qualifying offer.  Monroe did it this year but it doesn't happen very often.

I don't think my opinion would matter to you as I can tell you are all in with Philly but here it is. What I find ugly is waiving numerous NBA players though just bench quality is bad business. Taking on salary and cap hits in added years in some of the waivers for low 1st doesn't help as low 1st usually just net you bench players. 2nd round picks hardly ever make past 4 years in the NBA so those are probably garbage. I like the higher picks like the Laker one "potentially" but when you give up a player with talent and potential to get it it's just going in circles. Even when they moved Young they didn't get much just moved him to be a worse team, no good compensation for a player that was producing at okay $. KJ looked like a draft steal but he could have won them a few games by himself so he got traded, smh. The things I like that Philly has done is the drafting and the "guts" to put a DL team out every night to have a horrible record guaranteeing a top 5 pick. The waiver scrubs that philly fans want to call players are a not even worth talking about either. Hink isn't a genius he just has guts. Being as bad a as possible isn't hard. Getting low picks for NBA players isn't hard. Having cap space comes from not having any one on the team worth paying. Had Hink been scoring better deals I'd be impressed but right now his job is easy.

They got a mid 1st round pick for Thad Young who was a pending FA if he opted out(was going to happen). That pick could be anywhere between 11-16. For a slightly above average PF who can't really defend or rebound the position that well. Thad Young's trade value after half a season? The corpse of Kevin Garnett returning for half a season of feel good reunion videos in Minny.

KJ got traded because he is a pending RFA, is probably going to get overpaid, does nothing offensively and he got back a guy picked early in the 2nd + an early 2nd round pick. Hinkie essentially turned an early 2nd round pick for (2) early 2nd round picks...

Taking on salary cap for a low first doesn't help? How? It's a first round pick, good players tend to be available late. The more chances you have to hit on one of those lotto tickets the better. If nothing else it is ammo to trade up.

Ish Smith, a 5 year journeyman who has played for like 8 teams has outperformed MCW this year. The fact that we got a probable top 10 pick for a guy who fits that statement is absurdly good value.

And you're completely ignoring that he essentially turned Jrue Holiday into 3 first round picks.
Those are some very weak excuses. Not wanting to pay guys? Really when you are at the cap min. Also most seconds are garbage unless they are like Philly's own. Oh C's own those. But good try. I like their drafting and guts, nothing else. Get over it Philly fans.
Those aren't weak excuses.  How is the Young trade any different than the Green trade except for the fact that Hinkie got much better value (mid 1st rounder vs. probable two seconds)?  There are plenty of cheap role players.  How is overpaying for role players and wasting cap space a good thing to do?  How is Hinkie taking on McGee's salary for a 1st significantly different from Ainge taking on Wallace's salary in exchange for an extra 1st?  Why should Hinkie have held on to MCW rather than trade him for the very good Lakers 1st?  Yes, second rounders are often misses.  That's why accumulating a bunch of them cheaply is a good thing to do.  Of the five second rounders Philly has this draft, two are currently at 35 and 37.
Age of players and prime years is a huge difference between guys DA traded and guys Hink traded. Hink gave up promising long term players for little to just get worse. DA didn't trade AB or Sully. Do you get it?
What promising long term players did he give up just to get a little worse?  He got at mid 1st rounder for Young.  He got a top 10 pick for MCW.  He turned Jrue Holliday into Noel, Saric and the return of their own 2017 1st rounder.  Notice all the value he got back.  He's not dumping anyone just to lose a few games.  Why should age of players matter?  Once you decide a player isn't someone you want to keep, you should trade that player when you get a good offer for them.  Ainge hasn't traded AB because he's only been offered late 1sts.  With his injury and weight issues, Sully is probably worth even less.  Ainge will trade anyone on this roster, even Smart, if he gets a good enough return for them.   

You just named two young promising players that could have contributed. Add KJ then add all the vets they cut that could have contributed. Everyone knows he was trading to tank. You are in denial if you dont think it was all for the tank. Return wasn't his concern getting DL bad was.

You're an idiot. I'm just going to say it. I've used facts as a cudgel against your cranium yet your head apparently is a rock. Here's a list of assets we've obtained for guys we... cut????

-Nerlens Noel
-Jerami Grant
-Isaiah Canaan
-Denver 2nd
-Orl 2nd

I'm done with this stupidity. You just don't know what you're talking about. I've blasted some of the guys Sixers fans champion in this thread. The reality is though, that the Sixers have gotten a ton for the guys they've gotten rid of.
Why dont check your teams transactions? Better yet go back to the 76ers board that is were you can find plenty of people that might join your homer views. The rest of NBA fans don't need the 76er trolls posting about superstars and championships that may never come to be. Your GM and your team are the ultimate tankers don't try to sell it as any thing different here. Enjoy your DL games.

Welcome to reality. You want to fit facts to an ill informed opinion, and I'm bringing that ignorance back to reality. Deal with it.
Lol dude what facts? We're are talking about opinions on the net for the players and moves. I say the trades have been too geared to be worse and tank. Your own 76ers fans had issues with some of the trades. You name assets like they are locks. You even forget where MCW was drafted when getting a possible worse pick slot in comparison with a 2016 LAL pick. That may be a loss. Oh and again the scrub players like they are border line all stars. Future picks as if they are guaranteed at the top of the draft. 2nds rounders as if they a big deal. You getting mad cause I'm not putting those trades up as good but straight tank trades. Take a look at where your team is in the standings bro. You are tanking and your players suck that is reality. Embid can be the new Oden. If Noel for his D is a superstar why isn't Smart? Please with your foolish asset talk go back to Libertyballess

Where did I say Noel was a superstar? Although he's definitely a better player than Marcus Smart because he's a better defender.

You haven't supported your opinion with anything but more of your opinion. You said he got bad returns in the . If you believe that, you are a moron. Jrue Holiday for 3 first round picks? Whenever you have the opportunity to refuse 3 first round picks(two in the top 10) for an average start at the league's deepest position you totally turn it down. That's just what you do.

What future pick have I said was guaranteed at the top of the draft? MCW was picked at 11. a year and a half ago. In that time his biggest weakness has shown no improvement. You don't hang onto a guy you don't like because of "well he's worth less than the pick we're being offered but technically he was the 11 pick and if an awful team lead by a terrible player that uses 35% of his teams possession might leap to pick 12." What kind of GM would analyze trade value like that?

The fan of a team with a losing record in a terrible conference just dropped "check the standings." Seriously? You realize that for you to win a championship you still need to find the two best players on those teams. It's not impossible and Ainge is a good GM, but the fact that you've stocked a roster full of role players before having the roles of them to play doesn't make you closer to a championship.

Here's the hilarious thing. Hinkie and Ainge are using the exact same strategy. Yet your butt hurt never stops.

Not wanting things to be true doesn't make them false. That's not how life works.
I wouldn't trade Smart straight up for Noel. I think you are over valuing Noel. He's got practically no game on offense and is lost on Defense.

One thing I learned a while back was how jealous Philly people are. I went to a double header NCAA tourney about 8 years ago. Uconn was playing Kentucky back when Rondo was on the team and Villanova was playing Arizona. They were in different regions but they were both set to play at the Wachovia center in Philly. The Philly crowd actually got more into the Uconn game, which they had no team to root for, because of how much they were jealous of Uconn. The whole game, the crowd was pretty loud booing Uconn. Then the Villanova game, I felt like I was more into rooting for them, since they were a bigeast team, then the actual Philly fans.

Another thing I dislike about Philly people is how they think they own the cheese steak. I've had plenty of steak and cheeses that were just as good at other places.

What has Smart shown?
Marcus Smart has a lot more game then Noel. If you can't see that then you don't know basketball. The only thing holding Smart back is his jump shot but the dude has natural instincts for the game. Noel reminds me of James Young. Not really ready for the NBA yet but lucky enough to be on a crap team so he gets minutes.

« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2015, 05:07:11 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

-Nerlens Noel
-Jerami Grant
-Isaiah Canaan
-Denver 2nd
-Orl 2nd

What has Smart shown?
That his team outscores the other team when he is on the court. He hasn't put up a ton of the traditional stats but he's the only starter on the C's to have a positive net rating. He makes a huge impact with his defense and hustle plays.

He is the only rookie to see extended minutes on a playoff team.

I'd rather have Smart, because I have questions about whether Noel's offensive game will ever develop and if his frame will fill out. I think they are very similar in terms of value though.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2015, 05:09:16 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Questions for the Sixers fans:
1. When do you think the Sixers will build the roster like they are trying to win games?
2. When will the Sixers attempt to sign free agents?
3. Are you worried about top assets not reaching their full potential because of the situation they are in?
4. At what point do you think the Sixers will be better than the C's?

I doubt anybody here is a Sixers fan, but it seems like they are waiting to make sure they have at least 3 or 4 high draft picks that look to have promising futures before they bother with free agents.  It wouldn't make sense to get a PG now if they thought there were getting Russell or Mudiay, for instance.  Next year they'll have something like:

Mudiay -or- Russell
Justise Winslow (potentially with the Lakers' pick)
Saric
Noel
Embiid

So then they'll have money to spend - I imagine they'll have trouble making salaries match in trades though.  They're probably another year out from any big moves while that line up gels. 

« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2015, 05:21:37 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think people are underplaying Noel here a bit.   Especially when you look at what he has done the second half of the season.   

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2015, 05:22:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
1. When do you think the Sixers will build the roster like they are trying to win games?
3. Are you worried about top assets not reaching their full potential because of the situation they are in?

I doubt anybody here is a Sixers fan, but it seems like they are waiting to make sure they have at least 3 or 4 high draft picks that look to have promising futures before they bother with free agents.  It wouldn't make sense to get a PG now if they thought there were getting Russell or Mudiay, for instance.  Next year they'll have something like:

Mudiay -or- Russell
Saric
Noel
Embiid

So then they'll have money to spend - I imagine they'll have trouble making salaries match in trades though.  They're probably another year out from any big moves while that line up gels.
They will be under the cap so they won't need to match salaries.  It is how they could acquire McGee and make waiver claims on Thomas and Glenn Robinson. 

I actually think Philly might make a real look at free agents this summer.  I could certainly see them making big plays for Leonard and Butler, who while both restricted would fit a real position of need on the Sixers.  And they have the cap space to offer both max deals (they also have the assets to potentially entice a sign and trade so Chicago and San An don't match).  Even if they got just one of them, plus adding Embiid and say Russell (plus they will have 2 mid first rounders for more players - NBAdraft.net has Frank Kaminsky, Montrez Harrell, Jerian Grant, and Devin Booker right in that range), with another year from Noel, I could see them being a playoff team next year (if they can add Butler or Leonard).  They can also keep some of their current starters (like Thompson) who would look a whole lot better coming off the bench as a 3 point specialist.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2015, 05:29:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think people are underplaying Noel here a bit.   Especially when you look at what he has done the second half of the season.
a bit!  That is an understatement of the century.  There is not a single GM in the league that would not trade Smart for Noel.  Any trade centered around Smart for Noel will require significant other assets being included with Smart for Noel. 

Noel's defensive presence as a rookie is basically unmatched in the history of the league.  Noel is in the top ten in blocks and steals.  That rarely happens in league history (not just from rookies, but period).  Despite being on a terrible team Noel is 7th in the league in defensive rating and is 4th in defensive win shares. 

The fact that anyone would rather have Smart is a great deal disconcerting as I expect Celtics fans to be better than that.  Smart is no where near the player Noel is. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2015, 05:42:37 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
a bit!  That is an understatement of the century.  There is not a single GM in the league that would not trade Smart for Noel.  Any trade centered around Smart for Noel will require significant other assets being included with Smart for Noel. 

Noel's defensive presence as a rookie is basically unmatched in the history of the league.  Noel is in the top ten in blocks and steals.  That rarely happens in league history (not just from rookies, but period).  Despite being on a terrible team Noel is 7th in the league in defensive rating and is 4th in defensive win shares. 

The fact that anyone would rather have Smart is a great deal disconcerting as I expect Celtics fans to be better than that.  Smart is no where near the player Noel is.

I think you kind of lost the right to say what is disconcerting for Celtics fans when you spend pages blathering about how good Thompson, sims, Smith and other players that will be out of the league in a year or two are. For the record I agree with you on Noel completely.

« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2015, 05:44:23 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Let us consider two possibilities.

1.  Noel is better defensively as a rookie than such players as Shaq, Mutombo, Olajuwon, Ewing and Tim Duncan.

2.  Playing most of his minutes in non-competitive games where the other team is far enough ahead they're not really trying that hard might possible be distorting Noel's defensive rankings.

Mike

« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2015, 05:46:31 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
If Embiid is to 2015-16 to what Noel was 2014-15, watch out.  As I've said before it is possible that the Philadelphia 76ers are in the process of writing the definitive work on how to tank.

« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2015, 05:46:50 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Mudiay -or- Russell
Saric
Noel
Embiid

They will be under the cap so they won't need to match salaries.  It is how they could acquire McGee and make waiver claims on Thomas and Glenn Robinson. 

I actually think Philly might make a real look at free agents this summer.  I could certainly see them making big plays for Leonard and Butler, who while both restricted would fit a real position of need on the Sixers.  And they have the cap space to offer both max deals (they also have the assets to potentially entice a sign and trade so Chicago and San An don't match).  Even if they got just one of them, plus adding Embiid and say Russell (plus they will have 2 mid first rounders for more players - NBAdraft.net has Frank Kaminsky, Montrez Harrell, Jerian Grant, and Devin Booker right in that range), with another year from Noel, I could see them being a playoff team next year (if they can add Butler or Leonard).  They can also keep some of their current starters (like Thompson) who would look a whole lot better coming off the bench as a 3 point specialist.

You really think Leonard for a second considers signing with a team that has won less games in two years than his previous team has won in one? You think he gets excited about playing with Embiid before he sees him set foot on a court based off 15 games on Kansas 18 months ago? Good free agents with lots of options generally don't leave a good situation and sign with crappy teams for high dollars (the last prominent example that comes to mind was stoudamire). By this same logic it is unlikely he would sign with the Celtics either. 

« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2015, 05:53:29 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

1.  Noel is better defensively as a rookie than such players as Shaq, Mutombo, Olajuwon, Ewing and Tim Duncan.

2.  Playing most of his minutes in non-competitive games where the other team is far enough ahead they're not really trying that hard might possible be distorting Noel's defensive rankings.

Mike
Not to mention he has D league perimeter defenders letting every player through the lane. He is a legit shot blocker but there is more to defense then blocking shots and he's getting plenty more opportunities to meet players at the rim with that defense.

« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2015, 05:54:16 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Mike

If you watched the highlight reel that Larbrd put together the other night you could actually notice this. It starts out with him playing against Deandre and Blake. As the highlight reel continues and the score separates he is playing Turkolu and Hawes. Then as it gets to the end he is playing against Udoh and Justin Hamilton.

This is not to say he wont be a great player or that he isn't really good defensively (he also had a great game throughout, even against the starters) but you really have to take his stats with a grain of salt. I also asked why in the world he was in the game in the last 2 minutes with the clippers up 25 and playing their third stringers. He scored 8 points in that game in the last 5 minutes including several alley oops when the clippers were just standing around like it was an all star game.

Frankly, I hope he doesn't get injured in a stupid situation like this cause it only takes one 3rd stringer trying to show how hard he tries to contest one of these meaningless alley oops in a blowout. For a guy coming off a major injury it is pretty senseless.

http://www.nba.com/games/20150327/LACPHI/gameinfo.html?ls=eref:google:1b:post

« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2015, 05:56:36 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Mudiay -or- Russell
Saric
Noel
Embiid

You really think Leonard for a second considers signing with a team that has won less games in two years than his previous team has won in one? You think he gets excited about playing with Embiid before he sees him set foot on a court based off 15 games on Kansas 18 months ago? Good free agents with lots of options generally don't leave a good situation and sign with crappy teams for high dollars (the last prominent example that comes to mind was stoudamire). By this same logic it is unlikely he would sign with the Celtics either.
You also have to wonder how Hinkie's bad reputation with player relationships will impact their ability to sign players. On the other hand, you only hear praise for Danny Ainge when players leave or get traded.

Also, is there any point in arguing with that guy? He obviously lacks perspective.

« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2015, 06:02:57 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

Oh thanks for the info, TP.  We have been over the cap for 18 years as a franchise and so I guess I never even knew that was a possibility.  Pitino can [do something that isn't family friendly and thus can't be typed on CelticsBlog]