Author Topic: ROY: Andrew Wiggins or Nerlens Noel  (Read 37979 times)

Re: ROY: Andrew Wiggins or Nerlens Noel
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2015, 09:05:38 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Man, like 90% of those career night highlight videos are characterized by how TERRIBLE the defense was. He did have quite a few nice plays and lucky ones as well which were good to see, but the rest... man the defense was incredibly bad.

Nice to see him hitting his free-throws and running the floor though... in those games.

I don't think many teams bring their a game for the 76ers and if the Knicks brought their A game, well its still pretty bad.

I was more surprised at how bad the Clippers ones were.... he hit some lucky shots against Jordan, but they had Turk and Hawes for pretty much the rest, well when he was actually being guarded.

« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2015, 09:27:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Man, like 90% of those career night highlight videos are characterized by how TERRIBLE the defense was. He did have quite a few nice plays and lucky ones as well which were good to see, but the rest... man the defense was incredibly bad.

Nice to see him hitting his free-throws and running the floor though... in those games.

I don't think many teams bring their a game for the 76ers and if the Knicks brought their A game, well its still pretty bad.

I was more surprised at how bad the Clippers ones were.... he hit some lucky shots against Jordan, but they had Turk and Hawes for pretty much the rest, well when he was actually being guarded.

I found it funny watching the scores separate and the defense get worse as the clippers video went on. From the clip you would think the 76ers were winning (which is of course the nature of highlight clips)

« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2015, 02:29:46 AM »

Offline LakersFan_33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
I'm obviously biased, but I think Jordan Clarkson should get some strong consideration (PER is better than Wiggins and Noel, and he is generally playing well). Even with that said, I give the award to Mirotic pretty easily. Highest rookie PER, plus is playing on a talented team in meaningful games.

« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2015, 02:45:51 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I'm obviously biased, but I think Jordan Clarkson should get some strong consideration (PER is better than Wiggins and Noel, and he is generally playing well). Even with that said, I give the award to Mirotic pretty easily. Highest rookie PER, plus is playing on a talented team in meaningful games.

I made a thread about him the other day, as I am certainly impressed, as well.  He's a lot better than Marcus Smart, lol. ;D Ugh.  I do think that he should get strong consideration, though, but my vote would have to be for Wiggins.  I'm also not surprised to see that Jabari Brown has been playing very well, but I am surprised that Roscoe Smith has yet to be called up.  He's like a taller, thinner, version of Jae Crowder mixed with Renaldo Balkman.  Sigh.  Both of those guys should have been Celtics, imo.  You guys obviously have great scouts.  Unfortunately, I can't say the same for us, lol. ;D How's Randle coming along?  I was honestly torn between him and Smart on draft night. 

« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2015, 02:59:32 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I made a thread about him the other day, as I am certainly impressed, as well.  He's a lot better than Marcus Smart, lol. ;D Ugh.  I do think that he should get strong consideration, though, but my vote would have to be for Wiggins.  I'm also not surprised to see that Jabari Brown has been playing very well, but I am surprised that Roscoe Smith has yet to be called up.  He's like a taller, thinner, version of Jae Crowder mixed with Renaldo Balkman.  Sigh.  Both of those guys should have been Celtics, imo.  You guys obviously have great scouts.  Unfortunately, I can't say the same for us, lol. ;D How's Randle coming along?  I was honestly torn between him and Smart on draft night.

I wish we could give negative TP's.

- Clarkson a lot better than Smart? Really?

- Roscoe Smith, who isn't in the league, is like Crowder, who is in the league, but mixed with Balkman who isn't in the league either. So are you saying he sucks?

- Lakers have great scouts and we don't? Again, really? Since their 20 win team is filled with so much young talent.

« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2015, 03:00:12 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd give it to the Mass guy without a doubt cause he is from Mass. Call it homer support or east coast bias or U.S. bias Idc. Jk Wiggins should win it and it's not even close..
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 03:16:56 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2015, 03:16:59 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

- Roscoe Smith, who isn't in the league, is like Crowder, who is in the league, but mixed with Balkman who isn't in the league either. So are you saying he sucks?

- Lakers have great scouts and we don't? Again, really? Since their 20 win team is filled with so much young talent.

As of right now, yes, Clarkson is much better than Smart.  Have you even seen him play or taken the time to look at his numbers, because he's a sick player, imo.  You shouldn't be so dismissive of the guy, btw, especially because he was just named rookie of the month in the WESTERN CONFERENCE, and that's no small feat.

What I meant with the Roscoe Smith comparisons is that, like Crowder, he's an all-effort/hustle guy who obviously plays defense, but I included Balkman in there, too, because Smith is an excellent rebounder, like Balkman is, and both of them are of similar size. 

Finally, in terms of scouting, yes, I would say that they have much better scouts, given that they were able to find a player of Clarkson's caliber at 46.  Okay, so they technically traded for him, but they still identified his talent and went out and got him. 

« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2015, 03:38:25 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

As of right now, yes, Clarkson is much better than Smart.  Have you even seen him play or taken the time to look at his numbers, because he's a sick player, imo.  You shouldn't be so dismissive of the guy, btw, especially because he was just named rookie of the month in the WESTERN CONFERENCE, and that's no small feat.

What I meant with the Roscoe Smith comparisons is that, like Crowder, he's an all-effort/hustle guy who obviously plays defense, but I included Balkman in there, too, because Smith is an excellent rebounder, like Balkman is, and both of them are of similar size. 

Finally, in terms of scouting, yes, I would say that they have much better scouts, given that they were able to find a player of Clarkson's caliber at 46.  Okay, so they technically traded for him, but they still identified his talent and went out and got him.

Clarkson is on a laughably bad team and has been handed the keys to their offense for the whole stretch run. He's playing a whole lot of garbage minutes, while being their best/only option on offense. Of course his stats are better than Smart. To say he's better than Smart just cause he has better offensive stats is asinine. Smart doesn't even get to run the offense here, Turner does. Clarkson put up 20 shots tonight. 20!!!! And in his recent stretch, Clarkson has had a lot of games with that kind of opportunities. Marcus is on a team in a playoff race who won't allow him to do much outside of shoot 3s and play defense. And he's 100x the defender Clarkson is. People who complain about Smart's offensive output never take into context what his role on this team is. Ever notice he normally doesn't shoot more than 8-10 shots a game max? That's not a lack of aggressiveness. That's being the fifth option on purpose. If he was given the kind of free reign Clarkson has, who knows what he would do? I like what Clarkson has showed so far, but let's be real. 99% of people in the league would rather have Smart.

And Clarkson only has that kind of free reign cause his team sucks so bad. If I remember correctly, they were contenders for around the same 5 year span we were. If the lakers have such good scouts, where's their Jared Sullinger. Where's their Avery Bradley? Where was their Rondo at pick 21? Their KO? We drafted all those guys WHILE we were contending. What about LA? They didn't draft anyone in 5 years that meant anything toward their future? But they have better scouts cause Jordan Clarkson had a good month and some guy in the D-League looks good? People around here de-value Sully, KO, Bradley but for where they were picked they were good picks. Young, improving players with solid upside potential who have real value in this league. The LakeSlow has nothing like that.

Sorry for the rant, your a very nice and civil poster. I respect your opinion, just a passionate topic :)

« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2015, 04:03:52 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Clarkson is on a laughably bad team and has been handed the keys to their offense for the whole stretch run. He's playing a whole lot of garbage minutes, while being their best/only option on offense. Of course his stats are better than Smart. To say he's better than Smart just cause he has better offensive stats is asinine. Smart doesn't even get to run the offense here, Turner does. Clarkson put up 20 shots tonight. 20!!!! And in his recent stretch, Clarkson has had a lot of games with that kind of opportunities. Marcus is on a team in a playoff race who won't allow him to do much outside of shoot 3s and play defense. And he's 100x the defender Clarkson is. People who complain about Smart's offensive output never take into context what his role on this team is. Ever notice he normally doesn't shoot more than 8-10 shots a game max? That's not a lack of aggressiveness. That's being the fifth option on purpose. If he was given the kind of free reign Clarkson has, who knows what he would do? I like what Clarkson has showed so far, but let's be real. 99% of people in the league would rather have Smart.

And Clarkson only has that kind of free reign cause his team sucks so bad. If I remember correctly, they were contenders for around the same 5 year span we were. If the lakers have such good scouts, where's their Jared Sullinger. Where's their Avery Bradley? Where was their Rondo at pick 21? Their KO? We drafted all those guys WHILE we were contending. What about LA? They didn't draft anyone in 5 years that meant anything toward their future? But they have better scouts cause Jordan Clarkson had a good month and some guy in the D-League looks good? People around here de-value Sully, KO, Bradley but for where they were picked they were good picks. Young, improving players with solid upside potential who have real value in this league. The LakeSlow has nothing like that.

Sorry for the rant, your a very nice and civil poster. I respect your opinion, just a passionate topic :)
I wouldn't claim that Clarkson is better or will be better than Smart but Clarkson's recent play at least puts it on the table as a possibility.   I do think Smart's continued limited offensive role shows what Stevens thinks of Smart's current offensive capabilities.  If he thought Smart taking a bigger load offensively would make the team better and improve the playoff chances, he would have done so.   

« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2015, 04:11:27 AM »

Offline LakersFan_33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79

Thanks for the nice words, man. Yeah, a lot of looking good as a rookie has to do not only with your abilities, but also your minutes/opportunities (I know I'm stating the obvious). That's why Mirotic >>>>> Wiggins for me. That's also why I'm hoping Clarkson isn't a flash in the pan.

Regarding Randle, I'm legitimately clueless. I'm sure he's fully recovered, but they don't really talk about him, or his recovery, that much here in L.A. He has sick athleticism and handles, so it'll all depend on if he can get his post game and jumper together, but who knows, he might be overrated (even when healthy), as some people have said.

@BDeCosta26, I agree that he's on a bad team, but what about Wiggins then? Minnesota has a LEGIT chance to finish as the WORSE team in the league, and yet he's the favorite for ROY...and if you really want to get into it, Wiggins is averaging way more shot attempts/minutes than Clarkson (who shoots a better FG and FT% than him anyway).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 04:19:41 AM by LakersFan_33 »

« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2015, 05:01:48 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

I wouldn't claim that Clarkson is better or will be better than Smart but Clarkson's recent play at least puts it on the table as a possibility.   I do think Smart's continued limited offensive role shows what Stevens thinks of Smart's current offensive capabilities.  If he thought Smart taking a bigger load offensively would make the team better and improve the playoff chances, he would have done so.

He's been playing well, sure. I like the kid. But it's only on the table if you think it's all about the box score. Smart is as responsible as anyone on the Cs for their post-trade overachievement. His defense, leadership and all out effort sets the tone for a team seriously pushing for a playoff spot. Right now, Smart as a player is a more important part to his team being successful than Clarkson is to his, even recently. Just not in the box score.

And to your other point, I totally agree. Stevens knows handing the keys to Smart isn't in the best interest of the playoff race, of course it isn't. Since when has putting your whole offense onto the back of a 20 year old rookie the best play for a playoff birth. Running Bradley around for open jumpers and setting up P&Rs for IT is better for that. But I think Brads been slowly letting him drive and initiate a bit more lately and I think he's gonna expect him to work toward coming into a larger role next season. Got no reason to doubt him so far.

« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2015, 09:38:06 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Clarkson again.... Smart is the better all-around player right now and he has more upside. Clarkson is a great 2nd round draft gem with nice offense and size.

« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2015, 12:24:53 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Aren't you also the same guy that just a few months suggested that Rondo is the best PG in the NBA? So honestly, when you say laughable things like Clarkson is better than Smart, or the Lakers have better scouting than the C's, the applicable response would be...consider the source. 

« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2015, 08:55:51 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Aren't you also the same guy that just a few months suggested that Rondo is the best PG in the NBA? So honestly, when you say laughable things like Clarkson is better than Smart, or the Lakers have better scouting than the C's, the applicable response would be...consider the source.

And aren't you the same guy who regularly cites Chad Ford as a reputable source, in addition to your idea of giving Jae Crowder, of all people, a 4 year deal?  So honestly, when you say laughable things like DJ Augustin is a better point guard than Rajon Rondo, or spell Kirk Hinrich's last name as if he was related to heinrich himmler, the applicable response would be...consider the source. ;) We're done here.

« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2015, 09:08:42 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

And aren't you the same guy who regularly cites Chad Ford as a reputable source, in addition to your idea of giving Jae Crowder, of all people, a 4 year deal?  So honestly, when you say laughable things like DJ Augustin is a better point guard than Rajon Rondo, or spell Kirk Hinrich's last name as if he was related to heinrich himmler, the applicable response would be...consider the source. ;) We're done here.
The things you dismiss as laughable are pretty legit points.
For the last 2 years Augustins been better than Rondo, a four year deal to crowder isn't all that bad oh and he also made a spelling mistake... Death sentence

Lastly do you really think clarkson is better than smart. There is not a single team in the nba who would rather have clarkson moving forward and for this year the only teams that want clarclson over smart are teams trying their hardest to lose games

The lakers are trying harder than anyone else to lose games. 

He had credibility you don't now we are done here.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.