Author Topic: ROY: Andrew Wiggins or Nerlens Noel  (Read 37978 times)

Re: ROY: Andrew Wiggins or Nerlens Noel
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 07:38:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I agree. I don't see anything outrageous in he comparison, especially when one is admitting. Noel clearly isn't as good as Davis offensively. But in every other respect, they are extremely similar.

Well one, he keeps saying he isn't but then including their offensive stats to prove they are actually similar. Two, saying someone is as good at someone at part of a game isn't really impressive. Look I know Brady is more accurate, but Bridgewater can definitely throw it farther if you look at their passes over 30 yards and compare the second 8 games of their first year. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:40:08 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 07:52:39 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Agreed. I also think Smart is similar to James Harden. Granted, Harden is a better offensive player but Im more about rebounds and defense and I think Smart will be at the very least Hardens equal in those two categories.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 07:57:43 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Also, LarBrd, we get that you love Nerlens Noel. We get that you think the Celtics should have tanked. We get that you love Philly. If you want to bone noel and the sixers can you at least keep it to the old threads instead of making new ones. Celtics2030 loves Payton and isnt a huge Smart guy but he at least keeps his Payton love affair to one [dang] thread
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 08:32:05 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
i think its wiggins cuz of the offense he produces and generally ROY is determined by the guy who has the best offense stats
i was down on wiggins when he was drafted but he looks good admittedly

i was high on noel at the start of the season and he also looks very good 
Hes having a great defense season and is better offensively than i thought he would be
If he keeps playing like he has in the past few games i think he eclipses wiggins as ROY

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 08:40:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Also, LarBrd, we get that you love Nerlens Noel. We get that you think the Celtics should have tanked. We get that you love Philly. If you want to bone noel and the sixers can you at least keep it to the old threads instead of making new ones. Celtics2030 loves Payton and isnt a huge Smart guy but he at least keeps his Payton love affair to one [dang] thread

plus 1000

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2015, 12:45:45 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Look.. you are honestly the only person I have ever heard put these guys in the same conversation and obviously I read a lot about basketball.

There are transcendent superstars in the NBA that their presence alone can make a team a playoff contender, and perhaps a championship contender in the apex of their prime. Anthony Davis is one of those players. He has single handedly kept his team in the playoff race in a ridiculously tough western conference despite his key players missing extended time with injuries (Holiday, Gordon) or battling injuries and having their games fall off a cliff (Anderson).

Noel is obviously not that player right now, and I have not heard many people besides you say they view him in that category. That is why comparing him and Davis is like comparing Lebron and Luol Deng at this point.
Clay if you have literally never seen anyone compare Davis and Noel, I think it tells me everything I need to know about how closely you follow the sport.

I've illustrated how they compared on the college and rookie levels.  Again, Noel might be a better defender long-term.  What Noel is doing defensively as a rookie is pretty outstanding.  Davis was more polished offensively.  If you think I'm suggesting that rookie Noel is on the same level of Anthony Davis right now, you must be having difficulty reading my comments.  Let me know what I need to do to make my posts clay-friendly.

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2015, 12:53:31 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Nerlens has had the better season, but Wiggins is the better long term prospect.

Mirotic is making an impact on a good team, and is probably the best player of the 3.

Really depends on your definition.

And Nerlens is a better defender than AD was as a rookie, but the difference offensively is a chasm.

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2015, 12:54:25 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
i think its wiggins cuz of the offense he produces and generally ROY is determined by the guy who has the best offense stats

Hes having a great defense season and is better offensively than i thought he would be
If he keeps playing like he has in the past few games i think he eclipses wiggins as ROY
I adore wiggins too, but his hype is pretty widespread because he scores more bulk points.  There's not much need for discussion when it comes to Wiggens.  Everyone acknowledges he is a superstar in the making.  Would have been awesome to get a top 3 pick. 

I don't dislike Smart.  He's going to be a good defensive role player for years.   He might develop the other part of his game too. But I mean, at this point Marcus smart's offensive potential is probably weaker than Nerlens Noel.

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2015, 01:09:09 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Smart a role player.....  ::)

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2015, 01:29:22 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
That's certainly what he is right now.  Haven't seen much improvement out of him on the offensive end.

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2015, 01:49:44 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

I adore wiggins too, but his hype is pretty widespread because he scores more bulk points.  There's not much need for discussion when it comes to Wiggens.  Everyone acknowledges he is a superstar in the making.  Would have been awesome to get a top 3 pick. 

I don't dislike Smart.  He's going to be a good defensive role player for years.   He might develop the other part of his game too. But I mean, at this point Marcus smart's offensive potential is probably weaker than Nerlens Noel.

Getting the T-wolves local broadcast, and watching Wiggins play a lot this year, he is extremely polished offensively, which has surprised me, as well as working hard on defense and on the boards.

Noel is a nice piece and should be in the ROY running, but Wiggins will be a special player in this league.

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2015, 02:41:30 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

What's wrong with being a role player? Pretty much every player Smart's seen a comparison to has been a pretty solid starter... also known as a role player.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2015, 02:59:21 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Look.. you are honestly the only person I have ever heard put these guys in the same conversation and obviously I read a lot about basketball.

There are transcendent superstars in the NBA that their presence alone can make a team a playoff contender, and perhaps a championship contender in the apex of their prime. Anthony Davis is one of those players. He has single handedly kept his team in the playoff race in a ridiculously tough western conference despite his key players missing extended time with injuries (Holiday, Gordon) or battling injuries and having their games fall off a cliff (Anderson).

Noel is obviously not that player right now, and I have not heard many people besides you say they view him in that category. That is why comparing him and Davis is like comparing Lebron and Luol Deng at this point.
Clay if you have literally never seen anyone compare Davis and Noel, I think it tells me everything I need to know about how closely you follow the sport.

I've illustrated how they compared on the college and rookie levels.  Again, Noel might be a better defender long-term.  What Noel is doing defensively as a rookie is pretty outstanding.  Davis was more polished offensively.  If you think I'm suggesting that rookie Noel is on the same level of Anthony Davis right now, you must be having difficulty reading my comments.  Let me know what I need to do to make my posts clay-friendly.

I get we are both celtics fans and would probably get along perfectly well if we were watching a game in person. This seems like this is getting down to splitting hairs so I'll just say i am a little lower on Noel than you and we can both hope he someday ends up on the celtics.

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2015, 03:03:44 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

What's wrong with being a role player? Pretty much every player Smart's seen a comparison to has been a pretty solid starter... also known as a role player.

You generally hope for more than a role player with the 6th pick in the draft. He also had won the rookie of the month and has had some moments as a rookie. It seems like role player is the worst he could end up as.

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2015, 04:24:07 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
As soon as I saw the topic title in the 'latest forum topics' on the right side I knew this thread was started by LarBrd33 lol.

ROY is between Wiggins and Mirotic.
Noel is a solid defensive player who's been great for the 76ers but to compare Wiggins and Noel is serving a personal   agenda.

Noel to Anthony Davis?  LawL.
Don't get me wrong I often enjoy the reality checks and pessimism that LarBrd33 loves showering all over some of the ridiculously homerish hyperbole on CB  but this one is classic :)

Troll lol lol lol.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.