Author Topic: I have an honest question. Why does it seem everyone wants Kevin Love?  (Read 12751 times)

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Does anyone actually believe we could have won a championship with love and rondo? hell even throw carmelo in and they dont chip imo

You could certainly make it to the ECF with that team.

Love and Carmelo are two players who are/were desperate for legitimate teammates. When they have good teammates, they tend to contribute to the team's success.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Does anyone actually believe we could have won a championship with love and rondo? hell even throw carmelo in and they dont chip imo

Love and Carmelo are two players who are/were desperate for legitimate teammates. When they have good teammates, they tend to contribute to the team's success.

Not to mention that LBJ wouldn't have gone back to Cleveland if Love hadn't colluded to go there as well (at least according to Jalen Rose and a few other people who have said that outright). 

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Kevin Love screams "Laker" to me, not a Celtic guy. No defense, selfish play.

If you want to offer the max, give me LaMarcus Aldridge and/or Marc Gasol. Two-way players who can score, too are worth all those millions. Not Kevin Love.

Being a Cleveland Lebron suits well with him. Great chemistry.

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
because they don't watch him play

Exactly.

It MIGHT have worked out if we got him as a complimentary piece next to Rondo/Green/Sully so we could've convinced Rondo to stay.

But as a "center-piece" "star"to build to around?

*puke* 

We need a star. Kevin Love is a star. The position the star plays is kind of irrelevant at this point. He's 1 year removed from being in the MVP conversation. When was the last time a Celtic was honestly mentioned in the MVP conversation? 2008?

He's not 1 year removed from MVP consideration, he's 1 year away from proving how stupid it was to have him as a top 5 MVP vote getter.

If Kevin Love wasn't on the worst team in the league for the entire beginning of his career, he would only be a 17-10 guy in his 34+ mpg and 43% FG shooting.

He would be thought of as a David Lee type player, but less efficient.  Just as he should be, and is proving to be now that he's on a half-way decent team (despite the best player and almost best distributor setting him up and drawing double/triple teams).

Yes, some of the Kevin Love on this site and even in this thread literally make me puke.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think for Kevin Love to flourish on a championship caliber team you need a couple of things:

1) A good to elite defensive center who is also a good to elite help defender/anchor. Tyson Chandler, Omer Asik, DeAndre Jordan, Andre Drummond, Joakim Noah, etc

2) A first or second option that can create his own shot, create shots for others, and who can be a leader in the lockeroom

3) Other shooters (this is needed on any successful team in the NBA) and competent to plus defenders at the 1,2, and 3.

4) Kevin Love NEEDS to have the ball in his hands on the perimeter and inside the paint, and he NEEDS to be the primary or secondary offensive option. He's got to be gameplanned for 16-18 shots a game, and only 5 or 6 of those come from behind the arc. He can't just be a catch and shoot guy, he's got to have the freedom to play his game.

I think if you have all that, you could win a title.

If it all goes right, I think Love has the skill set to make life easier for people around him, and to

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26

Couldn't be further from the truth. Love has the best teammates in the league and is stinking up the joint.

Melo has had Iverson, Amare, and plenty of other all stars and has failed to deliver.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Couldn't be further from the truth. Love has the best teammates in the league and is stinking up the joint.

Melo has had Iverson, Amare, and plenty of other all stars and has failed to deliver.

Yeah you're not correct, but that's ok. Not only is Love "not stinking up the joint" unless you're opposed to 16/10/2 on 43/36/80 in 34 minutes per game on a 50 win team, but Anthony has pretty consistently shown that when he has good teammates he plays to that level -- we saw that in Denver, since you're almost certainly not being serious when you refer to the shell of Amar'e Stoudemire as a "star."

Your argument about "failing to deliver" brings in the spectre of playoff advancement, I assume. How wonderfully reductive. You can't look at any of the Knicks teams' postseason play and legitimately say that they had any talent aside from Anthony unless you're just being contrarian for the sake of it, which is nice, but wastes my time and everyone else's.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
EDIT: double post. Mods please delete

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

If Kevin Love brought his "stinking up the joint" stats to Boston, he would be leading the team in points per game and rebounds per game.

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

Love's "stinking up the joint" stats on arguably the EC favorite would have been tops on our team in terms of scoring and rebounding.
Love is by no means "stinking up the joint" but when you demand a trade to a specific team and refuse to resign like Love did and then eventually cost Andrew Wiggins and then some then you raise the expectations a whole lot. Bottom line is that Love has the potential to be a 26 and 13 guy. Hes done it before and same cannot be said for many guys in their prime who may be attainable by the celtics which is why people are intrigued.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Why does everyone seem to want Kevin Love? 
probably because he's better than the PFs we currently have on the team.  the question is more about what price are willing to pay to get him.  few debate that adding him (in a vacuum) would be a big help

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I think for Kevin Love to flourish on a championship caliber team you need a couple of things:

1) A good to elite defensive center who is also a good to elite help defender/anchor. Tyson Chandler, Omer Asik, DeAndre Jordan, Andre Drummond, Joakim Noah, etc

2) A first or second option that can create his own shot, create shots for others, and who can be a leader in the lockeroom

3) Other shooters (this is needed on any successful team in the NBA) and competent to plus defenders at the 1,2, and 3.

4) Kevin Love NEEDS to have the ball in his hands on the perimeter and inside the paint, and he NEEDS to be the primary or secondary offensive option. He's got to be gameplanned for 16-18 shots a game, and only 5 or 6 of those come from behind the arc. He can't just be a catch and shoot guy, he's got to have the freedom to play his game.

I think if you have all that, you could win a title.

If it all goes right, I think Love has the skill set to make life easier for people around him, and to
If Dirk retires, Love would be a nice upgrade for the Mavs.  His defensive rebounding would be a great help. 

Offline shrinkage36

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
Love was a great player on a bad team, now he's average on a good team. We have players like this.

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Love was a great player on a bad team, now he's average on a good team. We have players like this.

::)

The Wolves would have been a top 3 seed in the East last year. Kevin Love is significantly better than anybody on the Celtics.

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I just wish we'd set our sights higher. if we had gotten love last yr. then that's one thing but I just want us to take a stab at guys like Gasol, leonard, Durant.