Author Topic: I have an honest question. Why does it seem everyone wants Kevin Love?  (Read 12755 times)

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
Why does everyone seem to want Kevin Love?  If looking at strictly a basketball sense does he really fit what the Celtics have built right now, NO.  We don't need a scoring Power Forward, that also doesn't play defense.  We need a true Center that can block shots and rebound, to also move Sully back to playing his natural position at Power Forward.  We need a true scoring and defending Small Forward.  Why is everybody jumping up and down wanting Kevin Love in Boston? 

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Yes, we need a center, but it doesn't mean we should not upgrade at PF if there is an opportunity.
Love is better then Sully, KO and Bass.
and btw i'm not a big Love fan.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
because they don't watch him play
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
We need a star. Kevin Love is a star. The position the star plays is kind of irrelevant at this point. He's 1 year removed from being in the MVP conversation. When was the last time a Celtic was honestly mentioned in the MVP conversation? 2008?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm very ambivalent about Love. I honestly prefer to keep Sullinger and use the cap space for someone else.

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Great point! I typically never watch players that I'm interested in. I don't watch Love get misused on his current team and I definetly didn't watch him put up MVP numbers in Minney.

I don't watch his advanced postgame. I cover my eyes when he throws those pinpoint outpost passes. I hate to see the excellent form on his jumpshot, and I just cant watch when be completely seals off the area where the rebound is coming.

Maybe someday I'll watch Kevin Love play then I'll be entitled to have an opionion like TarheelsxxIII here.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Why do I want Kevin Love to join the C's
1. He is an upgrade at the pf position
2. His ability to space the floor fits the way the Celtics want to play offensively
3. people are making the mistake of thinking about how would Love would fit around the current players, but none of our current players are good enough for the C's to try and build around. Love is the type of foundational player you build around and attract other free agents with.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

That said, the Celtics need good players. Kevin Love is better than everyone on our team. If we get him, the C's get better, simply because we're adding talent. I don't think this team goes very far with Love as the best player (and I'm on the record here as not being a fan of him coming to the Celtics), but he's certainly an upgrade to the roster right now.

That said, Kevin Love is yucky.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm very ambivalent about Love. I honestly prefer to keep Sullinger and use the cap space for someone else.
Like who?

If the C's can't sign anyone this offseason, then almost every team will have free agent money to spend the following offseason. What do you think the chances are this other player you want will sign with the Celtics if they are competing against every other team in the league?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Scoring from inside and out along with good rebounding would fit well with the system here. Cavs style of LeBron go then Irving go, Love you be a decoy doesn't work for Love. With the additions of Shump, Smith and Moz, Love should have been doing better but LeBron has been benching Love too often. Love without a doubt struggles on D but C's have AB and Smart. Draft WCS and sign Middleton and that is hell of a starting group around Love. But Love is going to LAL so doesn't matter if people want him.

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
We have a power forward that spaces the floor, and isn't that good at defense. There seems to be a big group of people on here that want to keep Kelly around. Kevin Love is 5 times as good as Kelly. So why all the hate for Kevin Love?

The Celtics aren't in position to be picky with signing big time free agents. If Kevin Love would sign here the Celtics need to act.

Based STRICTLY on PER (which I don't like) Kevin Love is the 13th best PF in the NBA this year.

1   Anthony Davis
2   Pau Gasol
3   LaMarcus Aldridge
4   Blake Griffin
5   Derrick Favors
6   Tim Duncan
7   Greg Monroe
8   Brandan Wright
9   Ed Davis
10   Paul Millsap
11   Zach Randolph
12   Dirk Nowitzki
13    Kevin Love

If you do these ratings based on overall players he obviously moves ahead of Wright and Davis. At this point in his career I think he's better than Dirk. You could make an argument for 1 or 2 more.

So the point, and my honest question, why does everyone NOT want to sign a top 10 PF in the NBA?

Source:http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/pf

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
The Wolves went 40-42 last year, traded Love for future Superstar and present day great player Wiggins and basically stayed put otherwise.  This year they are 16-58!  That is all Love.

The Cavs struggled at the beginning of the season, then found out how to use Love and all of a sudden have won like 85% of their games. 

The idea he is just a bad team / good stats guy is totally overblown.  The Wolves are TERRIBLE and nobody else should be touching the ball.  The West is so stacked that it takes more than one great player to make the playoffs.  He averaged 26 / 10 / 2 last year and he can shoot the 3, thus clearing the paint for our wings.  He would be huge.  If we got him and Kawhi, we'd be in contention for taking the East even with LeBron.

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
The Wolves went 40-42 last year, traded Love for future Superstar and present day great player Wiggins and basically stayed put otherwise.  This year they are 16-58!  That is all Love.

That's just not true. Injuries to Rubio, Martin, and Pekovic pretty much derailed Flip Saunders' intentions to compete for a playoff spot midway through this season.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Why does everyone seem to want Kevin Love?  If looking at strictly a basketball sense does he really fit what the Celtics have built right now, NO.  We don't need a scoring Power Forward, that also doesn't play defense.  We need a true Center that can block shots and rebound, to also move Sully back to playing his natural position at Power Forward.  We need a true scoring and defending Small Forward.  Why is everybody jumping up and down wanting Kevin Love in Boston?

1.)Who said he doesn't fit what the Celtics are trying to build right now?

He's a proven double double player and a player you can build around to bring you closer to a championship.

2.)As for Sully, I think he's proven that he can't be relied upon and getting Love would be a HUGE upgrade.

I just don't understand why some people can't seem to understand this.

What I don't understand is why so many people DON'T want Love, who would be a star player on a team full of role players

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

1.)Who said he doesn't fit what the Celtics are trying to build right now?

He's a proven double double player and a player you can build around to bring you closer to a championship.

2.)As for Sully, I think he's proven that he can't be relied upon and getting Love would be a HUGE upgrade.

I just don't understand why some people can't seem to understand this.

What I don't understand is why so many people DON'T want Love, who would be a star player on a team full of role players

Because if he's your only star player your team still sucks, and he's good enough to move the needle to turning this team into an actual treadmill squad, which means that you're unlikely to get the assets (or the cap space) necessary to become a legitimately good team.

I could see the argument while we still had Rondo + Green. When you're talking about Love paired with Turner + Thomas? not so much.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.