Author Topic: What should the Celtics do this Offseason?  (Read 13207 times)

Re: What should the Celtics do this Offseason?
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 06:48:46 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Acquire a small forward:
(1) Trade the Clippers Pick, and their complex arrangement with the Mavs  (which has contingencies through 2021) to the Mavs for their pick this year, and draft Wisconsin teammates Kaminsky and Dekker.

(2) Pick up Luol Deng on a lower annual, longer term deal, and re-sign Brandon Bass on a shorter term, higher annual value deal.

(3). Trade Kelly Olynyk and James Young to Sacramento for Ben McLemore. (Before you slam me on this - try and imagine how effective Olynyk and Cousins could be if KO could find his outside range. He was pretty good at the beginning of the year, but is clearly tired out by the season).

(4) Godfather offer the C's own 2016 draft pick, Jae Crowder, and Sully (or the equivalent) to the 76ers for Nerlens Noel (assuming, as projected, they win the draft, and end up having three centers under contract).

Start Deng, Zeller, Noel, Evan Turner, AB (with Kaminsky, Dekker, Isaiah Thomas, Smart and Bass coming off the bench) for the first part of the year, and then, if possible, move to a Kaminsky, Noel, Dekker, McLemore, Smart starting five by mid-year. Try and improve at shooting guard or center in the next year's draft.

(5) If Smart is unable to show the kind of floor leadership necessary to get that group the ball, then package him, and the Brooklyn 2016 pick (which should be awesome) mid-year to the Magic (who will probably be terrible again) for Elfrid Payton.

1) Why make this trade when the Clippers and Mavericks are relatively close in the standings ? Are you trading up 2-4 slots ?

2) Don't mind Deng and/or Bass.  Solid players.  I think you can do better than Deng this upcoming offseason, but still a solid player.  I'd set the bar higher and throw the money at Leonard or Harris.

3) I would never trade Olynyk & Young for Mclemore (I don't think Ainge would as well).  That's a heckuva trade for the Kings.  For all we know, Young could be the far better player than Mclemore in a couple of years.  Both are raw.

4) Getting Noel would be nice, I don't see Philly trading him though.

5) Smart is just getting started.  Why package him for another young player, a young player that he might ultimately be better than ?  No way do you make this trade.  It's only the beginning for Smart.

Personally, if I'm Ainge, I'd be targeting : Jordan, Leonard, & Butler in free agency, in that order.  Throw the world at Jordan & Leonard.

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
(1) Trade the Clippers Pick, and their complex arrangement with the Mavs  (which has contingencies through 2021) to the Mavs for their pick this year, and draft Wisconsin teammates Kaminsky and Dekker.

(2) Pick up Luol Deng on a lower annual, longer term deal, and re-sign Brandon Bass on a shorter term, higher annual value deal.

(3). Trade Kelly Olynyk and James Young to Sacramento for Ben McLemore. (Before you slam me on this - try and imagine how effective Olynyk and Cousins could be if KO could find his outside range. He was pretty good at the beginning of the year, but is clearly tired out by the season).

(4) Godfather offer the C's own 2016 draft pick, Jae Crowder, and Sully (or the equivalent) to the 76ers for Nerlens Noel (assuming, as projected, they win the draft, and end up having three centers under contract).

Start Deng, Zeller, Noel, Evan Turner, AB (with Kaminsky, Dekker, Isaiah Thomas, Smart and Bass coming off the bench) for the first part of the year, and then, if possible, move to a Kaminsky, Noel, Dekker, McLemore, Smart starting five by mid-year. Try and improve at shooting guard or center in the next year's draft.

(5) If Smart is unable to show the kind of floor leadership necessary to get that group the ball, then package him, and the Brooklyn 2016 pick (which should be awesome) mid-year to the Magic (who will probably be terrible again) for Elfrid Payton.

Put a lot of thought into this, and would love to hear any thoughts anyone has.
1) I wouldn't do the proposed Mavs trade.  With Rondo and Chandler being free agents and Ellis having a player option, there's a decent chance the Dallas pick next year would be late lottery. 

2) I wouldn't bother with older free agents like Deng or even Gasol.  We may make the playoffs but I think we're quite a ways away from being a championship contender.  I'd focus on the younger free agents.

3) I haven't seen enough of McLemore to assess the quality of the trade proposal but I'd have no problem trading KO or Young for a reasonable return. 

4) That isn't nearly enough to be a godfather offer for Noel.  Our 2016 1st will probably end up being late lottery or mid 1st.  Crowder is a free agent and has little value.  I don't know why people keep proposing trades with Sully going to the Sixers.  Sully isn't the type of player that the Sixers want plus he's injured plus he's in a contract year.  I'd love to get Noel but it would take a much better offer for the Sixers to agree. 

5) I'm not sold on Smart but Smart and the Brooklyn 2016 1st is way too much for Payton.   

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 07:01:38 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
"What should the Celtics do this Offseason?"

get better players.

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 07:03:06 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102

Put a lot of thought into this, and would love to hear any thoughts anyone has.
1) I wouldn't do the proposed Mavs trade.  With Rondo and Chandler being free agents and Ellis having a player option, there's a decent chance the Dallas pick next year would be late lottery. 

2) I wouldn't bother with older free agents like Deng or even Gasol.  We may make the playoffs but I think we're quite a ways away from being a championship contender.  I'd focus on the younger free agents.

3) I haven't seen enough of McLemore to assess the quality of the trade proposal but I'd have no problem trading KO or Young for a reasonable return. 

4) That isn't nearly enough to be a godfather offer for Noel.  Our 2016 1st will probably end up being late lottery or mid 1st.  Crowder is a free agent and has little value.  I don't know why people keep proposing trades with Sully going to the Sixers.  Sully isn't the type of player that the Sixers want plus he's injured plus he's in a contract year.  I'd love to get Noel but it would take a much better offer for the Sixers to agree. 

5) I'm not sold on Smart but Smart and the Brooklyn 2016 1st is way too much for Payton.   

(A) What do you think would be enough for Noel?

(B) What do you think of drafting Kaminsky/Dekker? (And pairing that duo with Noel)

(C) What do you think it would take to get Elfrid Payton from Orlando?

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 07:21:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
To get Noel you would have to offer Smart and probably two unprotected Nets picks minimum. Probably this years pick too. Even then,  I doubt you get him unless Noel has already expressed in not signing there after his rookie deal and wants to go to Boston, which hasn't and probably will never happen.

If Danny Ainge wanted Elfrid Payton over Marcus Smart he would have drafted him. After one year there's no way Ainge gives up on Smart unless he has been a major pain in the ass behind the scenes that the media hasn't picked up on yet. I doubt that is he case. Also, Rondo's style of play didn't fit into Stevens offensive system. Payton can pass and rebound like. Rondo but also like Rondo can't shoot to save his life. Stevens system requires his guards, all his guards, to be able to hit open shots, especially open threes. I never see Payton being able to do that.

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 07:37:24 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
To get Noel you would have to offer Smart and probably two unprotected Nets picks minimum. Probably this years pick too. Even then,  I doubt you get him unless Noel has already expressed in not signing there after his rookie deal and wants to go to Boston, which hasn't and probably will never happen.

If Danny Ainge wanted Elfrid Payton over Marcus Smart he would have drafted him. After one year there's no way Ainge gives up on Smart unless he has been a major pain in the ass behind the scenes that the media hasn't picked up on yet. I doubt that is he case. Also, Rondo's style of play didn't fit into Stevens offensive system. Payton can pass and rebound like. Rondo but also like Rondo can't shoot to save his life. Stevens system requires his guards, all his guards, to be able to hit open shots, especially open threes. I never see Payton being able to do that.

If that's the case, then Noel can go take a hike.

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 08:27:55 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I like the idea of acquiring Luol Deng and acquiring another shooter in Ben McLemore.

Hate the notion that Smart isn't showing any floor leadership and then shipping him off for Elfrid Payton

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2015, 12:04:51 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
1.)Upgrade at SF

Certainly getting Kawhi would be the dream scenario. If that doesn't pan out, go after Tobias Harris which could be more possible.

2.)Get another big. In my mind Kevin Love should be target number 1. If that doesn't work, either go after Greg Monroe, Robin Lopez or Al Jefferson (I don't think Gasol, LMA or Jordan are walking through that door.)

If that doesn't work, try to swing a deal for either Faried, Noel or Cousins.

This is why a part of me doesn't want us to make the playoffs. Because if we can draw the no 9 pick or even better, that could be a key piece in a trade package for Cousins.

I do like Harris if Kawhi isn't going to be coming.  But I think Kawhi would be our best fit.

I don't want Love by any means.  We need a big who can actually rim protect, rebound not score as much.  Jordan is the only free agent big who's worth big money I think, because of age and talent. Monroe is great don't get me wrong, but don't think he's enough of a defensive mind player, he could prove me wrong though. 

I'm a big Faried fan but I don't know what it would take to get him.  Noel or even Embiid I'd like from the 76ers depending on the price tag.  Cousins is a huge stretch but would be great depending on the price of him as well.  If he's worth a couple a first rounds and like Olynke and Pressey, maybe Young then I'm good on the deal.

Kevin love is younger than DeAndre Jordan, and I think the rebounding rate (a number people love) suggests that Jordan is just a good rebounder, not a great one.

Not to be rude but correcting you.  Both Love and Jordan are 26 years old.  Plus we have a good not great PF like Love, Sully who is 23 years old.  Don't say he's got injuries cause it was a freak foot injury and Love is dealing with a back issue.  Plus Love doesn't play anywhere near the defense that Jordan does. 

Jordan is a GREAT rebounder and Love is a good rebounder 

Jordan 13-14 season Rebounds 13.6, 14-15 14.8
Love 13-14 season Rebounds 12.5, 14-15 10.0

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2015, 12:18:02 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
Acquire a small forward:

1) Why make this trade when the Clippers and Mavericks are relatively close in the standings ? Are you trading up 2-4 slots ?

2) Don't mind Deng and/or Bass.  Solid players.  I think you can do better than Deng this upcoming offseason, but still a solid player.  I'd set the bar higher and throw the money at Leonard or Harris.

3) I would never trade Olynyk & Young for Mclemore (I don't think Ainge would as well).  That's a heckuva trade for the Kings.  For all we know, Young could be the far better player than Mclemore in a couple of years.  Both are raw.

4) Getting Noel would be nice, I don't see Philly trading him though.

5) Smart is just getting started.  Why package him for another young player, a young player that he might ultimately be better than ?  No way do you make this trade.  It's only the beginning for Smart.

Personally, if I'm Ainge, I'd be targeting : Jordan, Leonard, & Butler in free agency, in that order.  Throw the world at Jordan & Leonard.

1.  I agree with you the trading up a few spots wouldn't be worth it.  Plus Kaminsky is just an inch taller and 20 pound heavier version on K.O.

2.  I want to resign Bass, to give us a good vet power forward and leadership off the bench.  if Deng would come cheap, he could be a good fit coming off the bench if others didn't stay like Turner, Crowder, Young, which are all the spots he'd play in. 

3.  I like McLemore but I don't like this trade for him.  If they would go one for one for Young or a Young and a 2nd rounder then yes I'd do it.  But that's at max. 

4.  Noel I'm a huge fan of him.  But I think the trade you have offered is to high.  I'd keep Sully.  If the trade involved Crowder, and say the Clippers first I'd do this all day.  But I don't know what they'd want, but I wouldn't pay to high on Noel.

5.  Keep Smart, he's just a rookie.  Think can turn into a top 10-15 point guard in the league.

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2015, 01:34:48 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Noel considers Boston his home offer him a one year deal once he becomes a free agent that way we get his Bird rights.   I think he gives us a discount.

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2015, 10:51:53 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Noel considers Boston his home offer him a one year deal once he becomes a free agent that way we get his Bird rights.   I think he gives us a discount.

Bird rights don't work that way.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2015, 10:55:02 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Bird Rights only apply if a player has spent three consecutive years with a team. It then allows them to go over the soft cap to sign them (which isn't allowed for FA signings). Bird Rights are only transferred in trades (which is why it was so important to NY to trade for Melo or LA to trade for Dwight, etc.)

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2015, 11:42:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Noel probably isn't hitting free agency for another 8 years or something since no recent young superstar has passed on a max extension to-date.

Also, it would probably take Marcus Smart, Sully and both our 1sts to even get Philly's attention on a trade package.  There's another thread here where I talked about Noel's ROY credentials.  You aren't getting him for a #16 pick, Crowder and Jared Sullinger.   That's an insulting offer for a franchise player.

Btw, I feel like the previous posts were just a brilliant April Fools gag against me... you guys know how to get my attention... Nerlens Noel for Jae Crowder and the #26 pick?  You got me, guys... you got me.  That was pretty funny.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:50:15 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2015, 12:07:48 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I would love Leonard.  But I don't want him at the price he will cost (max contract).  Can't be overpaying for guys I we are to become long term contenders.

I'd give him a max deal, personally. Dude can shut down LBJ.

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2015, 12:11:30 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I would love Leonard.  But I don't want him at the price he will cost (max contract).  Can't be overpaying for guys I we are to become long term contenders.

I'd give him a max deal, personally. Dude can shut down LBJ.
yup

And a max right now won't look as bad in two years

(Wait, we're talking about meyers leonard, right? Hahahaha)
I trust Danny Ainge