Author Topic: What should the Celtics do this Offseason?  (Read 13200 times)

Re: What should the Celtics do this Offseason?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 12:05:36 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
1.)Upgrade at SF

Certainly getting Kawhi would be the dream scenario. If that doesn't pan out, go after Tobias Harris which could be more possible.

2.)Get another big. In my mind Kevin Love should be target number 1. If that doesn't work, either go after Greg Monroe, Robin Lopez or Al Jefferson (I don't think Gasol, LMA or Jordan are walking through that door.)

If that doesn't work, try to swing a deal for either Faried, Noel or Cousins.

This is why a part of me doesn't want us to make the playoffs. Because if we can draw the no 9 pick or even better, that could be a key piece in a trade package for Cousins.

I do like Harris if Kawhi isn't going to be coming.  But I think Kawhi would be our best fit.

I don't want Love by any means.  We need a big who can actually rim protect, rebound not score as much.  Jordan is the only free agent big who's worth big money I think, because of age and talent.  Monroe is great don't get me wrong, but don't think he's enough of a defensive mind player, he could prove me wrong though. 

I'm a big Faried fan but I don't know what it would take to get him.  Noel or even Embiid I'd like from the 76ers depending on the price tag.  Cousins is a huge stretch but would be great depending on the price of him as well.  If he's worth a couple a first rounds and like Olynke and Pressey, maybe Young then I'm good on the deal. 

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 12:07:58 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
1.)Upgrade at SF

Certainly getting Kawhi would be the dream scenario. If that doesn't pan out, go after Tobias Harris which could be more possible.

2.)Get another big. In my mind Kevin Love should be target number 1. If that doesn't work, either go after Greg Monroe, Robin Lopez or Al Jefferson (I don't think Gasol, LMA or Jordan are walking through that door.)

If that doesn't work, try to swing a deal for either Faried, Noel or Cousins.

This is why a part of me doesn't want us to make the playoffs. Because if we can draw the no 9 pick or even better, that could be a key piece in a trade package for Cousins.

I do like Harris if Kawhi isn't going to be coming.  But I think Kawhi would be our best fit.

I don't want Love by any means.  We need a big who can actually rim protect, rebound not score as much.  Jordan is the only free agent big who's worth big money I think, because of age and talent. Monroe is great don't get me wrong, but don't think he's enough of a defensive mind player, he could prove me wrong though. 

I'm a big Faried fan but I don't know what it would take to get him.  Noel or even Embiid I'd like from the 76ers depending on the price tag.  Cousins is a huge stretch but would be great depending on the price of him as well.  If he's worth a couple a first rounds and like Olynke and Pressey, maybe Young then I'm good on the deal.

Kevin love is younger than DeAndre Jordan, and I think the rebounding rate (a number people love) suggests that Jordan is just a good rebounder, not a great one.

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 12:15:18 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I know what they shouldn't do: blow a bunch of assets/flexibility out of a sense of panic/impatience.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=77281.msg1855297#new
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 12:19:25 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I would love Leonard.  But I don't want him at the price he will cost (max contract).  Can't be overpaying for guys I we are to become long term contenders.

Why wouldn't you want to give a max contract to a guy who's 23 years old, one of the best defenders, can be a top scorer if he wants, and already has an MVP finals and has won an NBA title.
I would give the max to Leonard, but i see the risk here. Many players in the past played very well in the Spurs system, but failed to do so in other teams. 

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 12:21:02 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
I only watch Cs games so I can't really pretend to know who is better than whom and who is a better deal. I do like the players we have now and I hope that we just add a star or two and draft well. Getting a center would be a big help. I'd consider overpaying to get Cousins and I'd try to sign Jordan. What about our picks this year plus one nets pick and Wallace and other filler for Cousins? Have Pierce already agreed to come back if we can get that.

Cousins/Zeller
Sully/Bass/KO/Jerebko
PP/Crowder
AB/Turner/Young
Smart/IT/Pressy

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 12:24:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
We need a couple of explosive players that can play above the rim and have decent skills/iq

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 12:56:03 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Cousins is a huge stretch but would be great depending on the price of him as well.  If he's worth a couple a first rounds and like Olynke and Pressey, maybe Young then I'm good on the deal.

I'd give Sac a couple first rounders along with Smart, Olynyk and (most likely) another young player. I think they will at least want picks and Smart in order to enter serious discussions.

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2015, 01:20:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Cousins is a huge stretch but would be great depending on the price of him as well.  If he's worth a couple a first rounds and like Olynke and Pressey, maybe Young then I'm good on the deal.

I'd give Sac a couple first rounders along with Smart, Olynyk and (most likely) another young player. I think they will at least want picks and Smart in order to enter serious discussions.

So you want to pair Cousins with Thomas again??

How did that work out already??

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 01:32:53 PM »

Offline e4sym0de

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
This is just a long stretch what I think they should do. 

First in Free Agency:
The two major areas the Celtics need, a rim protector Center and a true Small Forward.
DeAndre Jordan should be number one free agency we need to go after.  Does everything we could ask for him being our center for years to come.
Kawhi Leonard is our answers at small forward.  He's a final MVP, plays defense and can be a top scorer with the ball in his hand.  These two players give us everything we're missing.

The first thing is a long stretch with trading up to the number 1 or 2 spot of this years draft.  I know right now people are saying you're crazy.  Listen, we need an impact rookie now, not later.  We've gotten a stock pile of draft picks that need to be used for something.  The talent I want is Jahlil Okafor, a true offensive power forward and will only get better.  So this is why we need to move to the number 1 or 2 spot depending.  The Knicks at the number 1 has a lot of needs and we have draft picks and players to do so.  We should offer up The two first round draft picks in this year and one to two of the 1st rounders we have in the following years.  This won't be it, so we'll also send Sully, Zeller, and Pressey.  This would give them instant helps plus 2 first rounders and more numbers one's in the future. 

Sorry to say but your suggestion is not only a long shot, it is completly impossible.

1) Leonard is a Restricted Free Agent and the Spurs will match any offer sheet.
2) Jordan will be much more interested in resigning with the Clippers than signing with Boston. 3) If we spend our money on one of them, we will not have enough Capspace to sign the other one
4) If New York trades their 1st they want a star player to pair with Anthony and whatever Free Agent they are trying to sign with their capspace. Even if New York would be interested in more longterm oriented assets, your proposed offer of mediocrity isnīt even close to getting a top2 pick in the draft. 

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Win the Lotto, draft Okafor

Sign Leonard to a max deal

Trade Sully, Turner and a first for Faried

Smart/Bradley/Leonard/Faried/Okafor

Win lots of games  ;D

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 03:13:26 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Win the Lotto, draft Okafor

Sign Leonard to a max deal

Trade Sully, Turner and a first for Faried

Smart/Bradley/Leonard/Faried/Okafor

Win lots of games  ;D

You forgot the part about how Sam Dekker, Bobby Portis or Kevon Looney fall to our Clips pick, but otherwise you're dead on.  Also technically, the Mavs haven't clinched the playoffs yet, so it's still possible that we get Mudiay or Towns as well

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 03:53:37 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
(1) Trade the Clippers Pick, and their complex arrangement with the Mavs  (which has contingencies through 2021) to the Mavs for their pick this year, and draft Wisconsin teammates Kaminsky and Dekker.

(2) Pick up Luol Deng on a lower annual, longer term deal, and re-sign Brandon Bass on a shorter term, higher annual value deal.

(3). Trade Kelly Olynyk and James Young to Sacramento for Ben McLemore. (Before you slam me on this - try and imagine how effective Olynyk and Cousins could be if KO could find his outside range. He was pretty good at the beginning of the year, but is clearly tired out by the season).

(4) Godfather offer the C's own 2016 draft pick, Jae Crowder, and Sully (or the equivalent) to the 76ers for Nerlens Noel (assuming, as projected, they win the draft, and end up having three centers under contract).

Start Deng, Zeller, Noel, Evan Turner, AB (with Kaminsky, Dekker, Isaiah Thomas, Smart and Bass coming off the bench) for the first part of the year, and then, if possible, move to a Kaminsky, Noel, Dekker, McLemore, Smart starting five by mid-year. Try and improve at shooting guard or center in the next year's draft.

(5) If Smart is unable to show the kind of floor leadership necessary to get that group the ball, then package him, and the Brooklyn 2016 pick (which should be awesome) mid-year to the Magic (who will probably be terrible again) for Elfrid Payton.

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 04:13:19 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
(1) Trade the Clippers Pick, and their complex arrangement with the Mavs  (which has contingencies through 2021) to the Mavs for their pick this year, and draft Wisconsin teammates Kaminsky and Dekker.

(2) Pick up Luol Deng on a lower annual, longer term deal, and re-sign Brandon Bass on a shorter term, higher annual value deal.

(3). Trade Kelly Olynyk and James Young to Sacramento for Ben McLemore. (Before you slam me on this - try and imagine how effective Olynyk and Cousins could be if KO could find his outside range. He was pretty good at the beginning of the year, but is clearly tired out by the season).

(4) Godfather offer the C's own 2016 draft pick, Jae Crowder, and Sully (or the equivalent) to the 76ers for Nerlens Noel (assuming, as projected, they win the draft, and end up having three centers under contract).

Start Deng, Zeller, Noel, Evan Turner, AB (with Kaminsky, Dekker, Isaiah Thomas, Smart and Bass coming off the bench) for the first part of the year, and then, if possible, move to a Kaminsky, Noel, Dekker, McLemore, Smart starting five by mid-year. Try and improve at shooting guard or center in the next year's draft.

(5) If Smart is unable to show the kind of floor leadership necessary to get that group the ball, then package him, and the Brooklyn 2016 pick (which should be awesome) mid-year to the Magic (who will probably be terrible again) for Elfrid Payton.

Put a lot of thought into this, and would love to hear any thoughts anyone has.

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 04:22:01 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Reading these suggestions makes me appreciate DA as a GM even more.

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 05:40:44 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

So you want to pair Cousins with Thomas again??

How did that work out already??

I don't know, I really never followed the Kings at all.