Author Topic: What should the Celtics do this Offseason?  (Read 13201 times)

What should the Celtics do this Offseason?
« on: March 30, 2015, 07:48:20 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
This is just a long stretch what I think they should do. 

First in Free Agency:
The two major areas the Celtics need, a rim protector Center and a true Small Forward.
DeAndre Jordan should be number one free agency we need to go after.  Does everything we could ask for him being our center for years to come.
Kawhi Leonard is our answers at small forward.  He's a final MVP, plays defense and can be a top scorer with the ball in his hand.  These two players give us everything we're missing.

The first thing is a long stretch with trading up to the number 1 or 2 spot of this years draft.  I know right now people are saying you're crazy.  Listen, we need an impact rookie now, not later.  We've gotten a stock pile of draft picks that need to be used for something.  The talent I want is Jahlil Okafor, a true offensive power forward and will only get better.  So this is why we need to move to the number 1 or 2 spot depending.  The Knicks at the number 1 has a lot of needs and we have draft picks and players to do so.  We should offer up The two first round draft picks in this year and one to two of the 1st rounders we have in the following years.  This won't be it, so we'll also send Sully, Zeller, and Pressey.  This would give them instant helps plus 2 first rounders and more numbers one's in the future. 

Keeping two of our own by resigning, Bass and Crowder. 

This is why if you break down how the roster would be after this.

Center - DeAndre Jordan, Kelly Olynyk
Power Forward - Jahlil Okafor, Brandon Bass, Jae Crowder (Can also play the SF)
Small Forward - Kawhi Leonard, Evan Turner
Shooting Guard - Avery Bradley, James Young
Point Guard - Marcus Smart, Isaiah Thomas

Other free agents you can use to finish off the roster.  I know this is a long shot, but I think this would be the best option.

Re: What should the Celtics do this Offseason?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 08:07:19 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
1.)Upgrade at SF

Certainly getting Kawhi would be the dream scenario. If that doesn't pan out, go after Tobias Harris which could be more possible.

2.)Get another big. In my mind Kevin Love should be target number 1. If that doesn't work, either go after Greg Monroe, Robin Lopez or Al Jefferson (I don't think Gasol, LMA or Jordan are walking through that door.)

If that doesn't work, try to swing a deal for either Faried, Noel or Cousins.

This is why a part of me doesn't want us to make the playoffs. Because if we can draw the no 9 pick or even better, that could be a key piece in a trade package for Cousins.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 08:17:20 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
1.)Upgrade at SF

Certainly getting Kawhi would be the dream scenario. If that doesn't pan out, go after Tobias Harris which could be more possible.

2.)Get another big. In my mind Kevin Love should be target number 1. If that doesn't work, either go after Greg Monroe, Robin Lopez or Al Jefferson (I don't think Gasol, LMA or Jordan are walking through that door.)

If that doesn't work, try to swing a deal for either Faried, Noel or Cousins.

This is why a part of me doesn't want us to make the playoffs. Because if we can draw the no 9 pick or even better, that could be a key piece in a trade package for Cousins.

Much more realistic possibilities   I agree re: the lottery pick having value for either trade or moving up.

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 08:19:14 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
this off season the celtics should acquire huge amounts of fabulously talented nba players and win the championship.

who says being a nba GM is hard work?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 08:58:56 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Get better.

(something we haven't done for 7 offseasons).

Edit:  I guess we got a little better with Shaq, but we all know how that turned out (also, we got KG back at the same time).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 09:23:29 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Acquire good players on better deals so they can be flipped for stars when the time arises.

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 09:59:14 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I would love Leonard.  But I don't want him at the price he will cost (max contract).  Can't be overpaying for guys I we are to become long term contenders.

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 10:01:37 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I would love Leonard.  But I don't want him at the price he will cost (max contract).  Can't be overpaying for guys I we are to become long term contenders.

Disagree.

Kawhi is absolutely a guy you offer the max to.

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 10:05:23 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Exactly how much cap space will we have next year?

Including if we relinquish our cap holds on Bass, Crowder, Jerebko and whoever else is an upcoming free agent.

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 10:16:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I am thinking they should draft players, sign players and trade players.

Sounds like the right thing to do this offseason

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 10:34:35 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Love would be a big mistake but lucky for us he is going to LA.  Just say no to guys who can't play D.

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 10:38:01 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Well I thought my idea was a little far fetched, but after reading the OP's idea mine seems more logical.

I believe that Denver is going to blow it up and tank next season so here is my idea:

Trade Wallace, both firsts this year, our first in 2016, and the Rondo trade exception (in separate deal) to Denver for Danilo Gallinari (expiring after season), Faried, and Denvers first this year (lets say moving up from #15 to #7, guaranteeing IMO we get Winslow, Hezonja,  or Stanley Johnson).  Then sign Robin Lopez.

1-  Smart - IT - Turner
2-  Bradley - Young- Turner
3-  Gallinari- Winslow- Turner
4-  Faried- Sully- KO
5-  Lopez- Zeller- KO
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 11:32:24 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I am thinking they should draft players, sign players and trade players.

Sounds like the right thing to do this offseason
actually, i am thinking the opposite. they should trade players, sign players, and draft players. much better strategy going forward.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 11:43:58 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
I have to wonder if DA and CBS will put needs over the best quality players available. If an outstanding upgrade becomes available in a position where you are strong/have depth, do you take them and look to cover your needs after the dust settles on that deal?

The aim is to come out stronger than you go in. Much stronger if fans have been patient with the rebuild and have had their appetites wetted with some unexpected, though limited, success this season.

I say, get the quality and build on that, quality attracts quality. Mediocrity is what it is.

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 11:58:30 AM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14

Why wouldn't you want to give a max contract to a guy who's 23 years old, one of the best defenders, can be a top scorer if he wants, and already has an MVP finals and has won an NBA title.