Author Topic: One final point on Tanking  (Read 4644 times)

One final point on Tanking
« on: March 30, 2015, 02:05:28 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
I never thought I would still be seeing the debate going with 9 games left in the season, but this is where we are, we have played 73 games of basketball and people are still debating whether we should root for losses or wins in the final games.

I wanted to point out a few things.

1) We know that CBS is going to have the guys play very hard in every single game. As a result of this we will most likely win 2 or 3 more games against the weaker teams on their schedule (Pistons, maybe Charlotte or the reeling Bucks). We also have a few games other teams will not necessarily being trying to win. For, example, Blatt claimed yesterday he would not rest players. However, Love and Shumpert both left their game against Philly with what appeared to be minor injuries. Is this guy gonna really risk a title shot with a seed locked up against us twice in the final week? Especially considering Love has battled chronic back pain this year and Lebron needed two weeks off to reboot? These are all things that are out of our control and it really is pretty unlikely we will lose every game.

2) Do we live in a vacuum that the other teams in the East are not well aware of how the draft process works? Do you think their gm's and coaches and fans are not having a conversation about this? Do we think that Charlotte and Miami (not to mention teams like Utah and Denver in the West) don't want to get the best pick possible? Think about Miami for a second and imagine if we were them. Instead of debating pick 9 versus 15, it is debating 9 versus nothing! How can that team want to make the playoffs, especially considering they are without their best player (Bosh) and half their rotation is banged up? So even if we could somehow get inside the brain of CBS at best we could get him to have the same mindset that some of these other teams will have.

3) I think there is only one thing I can think of off hand that everyone on the blog agrees with. That is that 95% of the time this group of players is giving it their best and putting out 100% effort. In a league where you have many players just collecting their pay check, not playing defense or being in horrible shape (sullinger is not currently playing), isn't it kind of hard to root for a team playing the game the right way to fail each night? That has to be kind of depressing.

4) This is related to number 3, but this seems to be a likeable group of players. We don't have any jerks on the team, players appear really unselfish and all seem to like the coach and each other. The vets like Bass, who in other situations have demanded a buy out or have sulked, have been consummate professionals. Even a guy like Gigi just appears absolutely elated for his teammates when they play well. Some, if not a lot of these guy, will not be with the team next year. Can't we just enjoy their last games as Celtics and appreciate them as hard working good teammates that tried their best for us?

I get that I am unlikely to change the tone of the board or any posters opinion's with these points, but just felt like sharing them. These next few weeks will be the last Celtics basketball for 5 months and the last time to see some Celtics in green. I personally am going to enjoy them and will root for them. The chips will fall where they may and I hope we get a nice talented young player in a few months whether it be at pick 9, 10 or 15. Hope some others enjoy it with me.

Re: One final point on Tanking
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 04:03:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I think I may have finally written the perfect post. Each detail and thought is so perfectly and eloquently expressed that to critique it would seem futile and flattery would seem cheap. I'll be honest, it feels pretty amazing to reach this point and the fact that it took only a few thousands posts to achieve it makes it even more amazing. Thank you all for your support.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 04:06:56 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
You insinuated that Evan Turner is likeable. 0/10 would not read again.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 04:12:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

As a Celtic, what has Turner done that is inherently unlikeable as a person?

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 04:32:04 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 04:36:14 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

As a Celtic, what has Turner done that is inherently unlikeable as a person?

Putting on a jersey in the first place made ET unlikeable to me as a person.

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 04:36:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
https://twitter.com/GwashburnGlobe/status/581645488572628992

https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/581645896284311552

Plus his game is ugly.

Dos him joking around with CBS' son equals him being unlikable? Talk about a stretch. We got guys all over the league driving drunk, domestic abusers etc and you say this guy is unlikable for joking around with a kid... I hope for your sake you are just trolling.

Edit story in full context: http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/03/sounds_like_evan_turner_and_br.html

Headline : "Sounds like Evan Turner and Brad Stevens' son had a fun exchange in the Boston Celtics locker room

From the article:

"One reporter said Turner must just like feeding the media good stuff.

"Of course, man," he said. "I'm trying to help you guys keep your jobs."

Thanks, Evan. Even if you don't always strive to tell the truth -- and maybe you do -- we all appreciate the humor. Basketball doesn't always have to be completely serious.

Brad Stevens on Evans:
“I think the biggest thing we can do is encourage him to be aggressive all the time,” Stevens said. “He very conscientious about making the right play, which sometimes can be a fault because he wants to be a great teammate. He wants to make the right read and the right pass and sometimes he hesitates as a result and doesn’t look for his shot. We want him to be aggressive coming off that pick-and-roll to score.”

Sounds like the media and his coach think he is a real jerk. 0/10 DOS
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:43:03 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 04:41:25 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
A) he's a professional athlete. Nearly by definition most of them are unlikable people. Locker rooms do not, by and large, breed very valuable members of society beyond their entertaining athleticism.

B) His game is hideous, he's generally been regarded as **** for his entire amateur and professional career, and you asked for specific things related to the Celtics so I gave you two of them. Interpret the context however you want, but Evan Turner kind of sucks.

Also, your 'edit story in full context' is a story written by a reporter who is neither of the guys I quoted in tweeting, although he does also use those two quotes.

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 04:47:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
A) he's a professional athlete. Nearly by definition most of them are unlikable people. Locker rooms do not, by and large, breed very valuable members of society beyond their entertaining athleticism.

B) His game is hideous, he's generally been regarded as **** for his entire amateur and professional career, and you asked for specific things related to the Celtics so I gave you two of them. Interpret the context however you want, but Evan Turner kind of sucks.

Also, your 'edit story in full context' is a story written by a reporter who is neither of the guys I quoted in tweeting, although he does also use those two quotes.

Lets not mix and match topics here. I am talking about likeable as people here and as Celtics. His coach and the media seem to generally like the guy. People say he is a good teammate. There are some people on the Celtics I don't particularly like the game of. I don't really care for Bradley's game right now either. Way too many long pull up 3's. I guess same could be said of Turner. However, that is not what we were talking about.

These guys all seem to like each other and have a passion for the game. Stevens, the media and even the opposition of complimented the Celtics team at different points this season.

As for his time as his Celtic, maybe Turner grew up, maybe he realized it was his last chance, but inventing stories to say he has been unlikeable as a person here is pretty weak.

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 04:59:35 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
TP to OP for being the rare poster that remains grammatically correct dang-near every post. Also TP to Dos for being the entertaining agitator who always brings in the other persepctive (usually sarcasm-laden, might I add). And hey, don't go getting insulted after you brag about the "perfect post."  ;)

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 04:59:44 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I don't think he'll ever be a superstar, but I have a great appreciation for Evan Turner's game.

I've never met a professional athlete from a major sports' league, but I have no reason to believe that being one would make a person unlikeable by definition. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 05:01:56 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It should go without saying, but jokes about domestic violence and similar topics are not allowed here.  It doesn't matter what the intent was, it's just one of the things that doesn't fit with the "family friendly" goal of the blog. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 05:08:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
TP to OP for being the rare poster that remains grammatically correct dang-near every post. Also TP to Dos for being the entertaining agitator who always brings in the other persepctive (usually sarcasm-laden, might I add). And hey, don't go getting insulted after you brag about the "perfect post."  ;)

Get lucky thanks and TP back to you. If it wasn't clear my perfect post comments were just a joke about not having anyone respond to my points and pretending it meant everyone agreed with me (instead of the more likely result that nobody thought it was interesting). As for the insult part, some things have been moderated here but I was mostly insulted/offended by an off color joke.

I personally feel that this Celtics group is an inherently likeable team but if people think Evan Turner is not particularly likeable I like to hear the reasons why. Some have been suggested, I wondered if I missed others.

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 05:15:22 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
If we're not limiting it to his tenure as a Celtic, there's his history with Mark Titus, who I don't know, but who has little reason to lie about the interaction.

And his jump shot is still gross.

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 05:21:00 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919
I mean, who couldn't love this guy?  ;)

Seriously, though, I really do love our team and do find it stupid that the tanking debate is still around this late in the season given our situation. However, if there's one person on the team that consistently makes me want to punch myself in the head..... it's Turner. lol