Author Topic: Myles Turner  (Read 4903 times)

Re: Myles Turner
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 02:56:34 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Chad Ford-

Myles Turner, F/C, Fr., Texas
Turner announced via YouTube that he'll declare for the draft, though the announcement isn't a huge surprise. Turner has been ranked in our top 10 all season and has the talent of a top-five pick (especially when judged by analytics). He's long, mobile, an elite rim-protector, good rebounder and has an offensive game that includes a terrific 3-point shot. His lack of strength, wild inconsistency and concern about how he runs keep his draft stock out of the top five right now, though teams may fall in love with him during upcoming workouts -- especially if his knees check out. Look for him to go in the six-to-12 range.

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 02:59:39 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Chad Ford-

Myles Turner, F/C, Fr., Texas
Turner announced via YouTube that he'll declare for the draft, though the announcement isn't a huge surprise. Turner has been ranked in our top 10 all season and has the talent of a top-five pick (especially when judged by analytics). He's long, mobile, an elite rim-protector, good rebounder and has an offensive game that includes a terrific 3-point shot. His lack of strength, wild inconsistency and concern about how he runs keep his draft stock out of the top five right now, though teams may fall in love with him during upcoming workouts -- especially if his knees check out. Look for him to go in the six-to-12 range.

I agree about him being mobile. I too often read here about his lack of athleticism and mobility, which isn't the case. People just mistake his awkward running for a lack of mobility.

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 03:46:55 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
If we miss the playoffs and pick 9th or 10th (or 11th), will he still be available? Isn't he the best fit for our team/CBS system being a legit big who can play the 5, block shots, rebound, but also shoot from distance? I also noticed on ESPN he is listed as a PF and not C-- not sure why.

Lastly, why do so many people worry about the way he runs, what's the situation on that?

I am just so intrigued by him! Can't decide now if I'd want us to get Johnson, Turner, or Winslow!

He runs real strangely for sure. A lot of people think he'll have trouble keeping up with athletic bigs and that he'll be injury prone because of it. I think it's overblown, but it was definitely noticeable when you're at his games or watching on TV.

I read that halfway through the season they realized he was wearing the wrong sized shoes (they were too big). They got him shoes that fit with custom arch support and he's supposed to be running better now. Also, the kid is 19 and just went through a huge growth spurt. Give him a year to get acclimated to his body and build some strength. He will be fine. All the bust, unathletic and injury prone labels are blown WAY out of proportion. Does he even have an injury history yet?

I like him, I think he will be an NBA starter. Idk if he would be my first pick though.

Yup, when he got to UT they realized he was wearing shoes two sizes too big for him. He had an ankle injury in high school, but nothing real alarming.
I wonder if he had the wrong shoes because he couldn't afford to buy shoes that were the proper size.  If he just didn't realize that his shoes were huge on him, he can't be very bright.

Man that's such an over reaction. A 19 year old kid with giant feet who just went through a ridiculous growth spurt has the wrong size shoes because of an arch problem and now his IQ is under fire?  ???
Wrong size shoes because of an arch problem?  What does that mean?  Do you wear the wrong size pants because of a knee problem?

Edit: Well I guess I can see how a different size shoe could be more comfortable.

"It's also a plus that his shoes finally fit.

He wore a size 21 when he arrived. Barnes thought Turner had an odd gait and asked staffers to measure his foot. They discovered that Turner was actually a size 19, but the arc of his foot required bigger shoes. So Turner wears custom-made footwear."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12305581/texas-freshman-myles-turner-learning-growing-amid-expectations-criticism

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 04:18:14 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
If we miss the playoffs and pick 9th or 10th (or 11th), will he still be available? Isn't he the best fit for our team/CBS system being a legit big who can play the 5, block shots, rebound, but also shoot from distance? I also noticed on ESPN he is listed as a PF and not C-- not sure why.

Lastly, why do so many people worry about the way he runs, what's the situation on that?

I am just so intrigued by him! Can't decide now if I'd want us to get Johnson, Turner, or Winslow!

He runs real strangely for sure. A lot of people think he'll have trouble keeping up with athletic bigs and that he'll be injury prone because of it. I think it's overblown, but it was definitely noticeable when you're at his games or watching on TV.

I read that halfway through the season they realized he was wearing the wrong sized shoes (they were too big). They got him shoes that fit with custom arch support and he's supposed to be running better now. Also, the kid is 19 and just went through a huge growth spurt. Give him a year to get acclimated to his body and build some strength. He will be fine. All the bust, unathletic and injury prone labels are blown WAY out of proportion. Does he even have an injury history yet?

I like him, I think he will be an NBA starter. Idk if he would be my first pick though.

Yup, when he got to UT they realized he was wearing shoes two sizes too big for him. He had an ankle injury in high school, but nothing real alarming.
I wonder if he had the wrong shoes because he couldn't afford to buy shoes that were the proper size.  If he just didn't realize that his shoes were huge on him, he can't be very bright.

Man that's such an over reaction. A 19 year old kid with giant feet who just went through a ridiculous growth spurt has the wrong size shoes because of an arch problem and now his IQ is under fire?  ???
Wrong size shoes because of an arch problem?  What does that mean?  Do you wear the wrong size pants because of a knee problem?

Edit: Well I guess I can see how a different size shoe could be more comfortable.

"It's also a plus that his shoes finally fit.

He wore a size 21 when he arrived. Barnes thought Turner had an odd gait and asked staffers to measure his foot. They discovered that Turner was actually a size 19, but the arc of his foot required bigger shoes. So Turner wears custom-made footwear."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12305581/texas-freshman-myles-turner-learning-growing-amid-expectations-criticism

The one thing Barnes did for Turner
DKC Suns