Author Topic: Nets Question - Brook Lopez  (Read 3508 times)

Nets Question - Brook Lopez
« on: March 30, 2015, 08:33:48 AM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
If Brook Lopez opts out this summer and doesn't re-sign with the Nets, then will they have his 16 million to use on another player, or will they not be able to do so because they are over the cap? Does anyone know?

Re: Nets Question - Brook Lopez
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 08:45:16 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Even if Lopez and Thad Young opt out, I don't think that they'll have significant cap space.  They might be slightly under the cap, but not $16 million under.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 06:10:47 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
Thanks Roy! Here's to hoping they both opt out and we have a gift-wrapped top 5 pick next year  ;D

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 06:15:47 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Thanks Roy! Here's to hoping they both opt out and we have a gift-wrapped top 5 pick next year  ;D

and the year after that and the year after that!

;D

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 06:29:54 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
By the way, Thaddeus Young is a guy I would look into next year.

Could give us some athleticism, scoring and rebounding at the 3 and 4.

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 07:30:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Even if Lopez and Thad Young opt out, I don't think that they'll have significant cap space.  They might be slightly under the cap, but not $16 million under.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe Joe Johnson has a salary cap hit of 57 million next year

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 07:36:26 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

;D

i know its simply amazing. kg and pierce arent even on the team, and yet they keep helping the celtics year after year. i love them.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 12:20:49 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

;D

i know its simply amazing. kg and pierce arent even on the team, and yet they keep helping the celtics year after year. i love them.  ;D
You know the saying about not counting your chickens before they hatch.  The rumors I've seen are that they want to keep Young.  Not sure about Lopez.  I wouldn't be surprised if they free up cap space by trading Joe Johnson. 

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 12:30:47 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Why would Lopez opt out, though?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 12:48:06 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Considering his frequent health issues, he might want to opt out to get the security of a multi-year deal. 

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 02:27:48 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

;D

You know the saying about not counting your chickens before they hatch.  The rumors I've seen are that they want to keep Young.  Not sure about Lopez.  I wouldn't be surprised if they free up cap space by trading Joe Johnson.

Real question that should be asked here is... Are the Nets gonna keep Joe Johnson, and honestly, who would want him?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 02:43:28 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

;D

Real question that should be asked here is... Are the Nets gonna keep Joe Johnson, and honestly, who would want him?
Now that Johnson is down to the last year of his contract he may tradable.  There was a rumor  during the trade season that the Hornets might want him.  I could see a trade built around Johnson and Stephenson.  Maybe with a 3rd team like Philly taking on some salary for a pick. 

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 03:04:55 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Considering his frequent health issues, he might want to opt out to get the security of a multi-year deal.

That's exactly why he wouldn't opt out -- he's going to get another contract after this one, failing a career-ending injury, and as an offensively gifted center operating after a massive increase to the salary cap, he's not going to be left starving.

What he won't get is a fully guaranteed $16 million next year if he does leave the Nets.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe Joe Johnson has a salary cap hit of 57 million next year
This is not correct, by the way Johnson's cap hit is going to be $24 million next season.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 03:10:46 AM by D.o.s. »
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 03:30:24 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

That's exactly why he wouldn't opt out -- he's going to get another contract after this one, failing a career-ending injury, and as an offensively gifted center operating after a massive increase to the salary cap, he's not going to be left starving.

What he won't get is a fully guaranteed $16 million next year if he does leave the Nets.
I didn't say Lopez was necessarily going to leave the Nets.  Just that he might opt out for a multi-year deal.  If a team isn't going to give him $16 mil guaranteed next year, why would they do it the following year?   

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 07:51:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

I didn't say Lopez was necessarily going to leave the Nets.  Just that he might opt out for a multi-year deal.  If a team isn't going to give him $16 mil guaranteed next year, why would they do it the following year?   
they wouldn't, which was his point.  He takes the 16 million next year and just enters free agency the year after, where he will sign a 4 year deal in the same general neighborhood of a 4 year deal he would sign this summer, except that he wouldn't have 16 million.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip