Author Topic: Is Smart in Steven's doghouse?  (Read 16578 times)

Re: Is Smart in Steven's doghouse?
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2015, 11:46:49 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
It's early but put me in the camp that is now worried about Smart. All the hustle and heart won't matter if he can't score. He was much better at getting his own shot in college than he's shown so far.

Ditto.

« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2015, 11:49:06 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I think he might just be hitting a rookie wall.  His offense is a work in progress.  It takes a while for some players.  Just look at Avery Bradley.  I think Smarts ceiling is higher than Bradley's.  Bradley was a mess his rookie year and look at him now.

In fairness to AB, he really never played until the last 1-2 games of his rookie year, but when he did get a chance to play, he dropped 20 on the knicks, iirc, which is far better than what we've seen from Smart so far.

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2015, 11:51:07 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Doc Rivers: Celtics’ Marcus Smart Reminds Me Of ‘A Better Version Of Me’

BOSTON — Doc Rivers has kept tabs on the Celtics since leaving Boston two summers ago, and he’s liked what he’s seen in rookie point guard Marcus Smart.

“He reminds me of me — a better version of me,” the Los Angeles Clippers coach said before Sunday’s matchup with the Celtics at TD Garden. “I’m serious. I really mean that. I think, a better version, and I’m not kidding.”

Rivers enjoyed a 14-year run as an NBA point guard before transitioning into the coaching ranks, even earning an All-Star nod during the 1987-88 season. Smart and Rivers weren’t identical players (the former is roughly 40 pounds heavier, for one), but the former Celtics coach notices a number of similarities between their respective games.

“He’s a defensive guard, but he can score — that’s the difference,” Rivers said. “He’s a big guard, he’s not a pure point. He never really played point in college. He’s got a strong body, he’s tough and he likes defense. He’s a really good defensive player. On the ball, off the ball. Yet he’s making plays, too, offensively. I like him a lot.”

Smart’s love for all things defense is a trait few NBA rookies possess.

“It’s rare,” Rivers said. “(Celtics guard Avery Bradley) was a little like that. Marcus is a little different than (Bradley). He’s good. I didn’t know him much (before the season). I knew he was going high in the draft, so I knew I didn’t have to look at him much. But watching him this summer, you’re watching him and thinking, ‘Ooh, he’s going to be good.’ ”

It also helps that one of the better games of Smart’s young career came against Rivers’ Clippers. Smart finished with 14 points and seven assists off the bench Jan. 19 in a 101-92 Celtics loss at Staples Center.

http://nesn.com/2015/03/doc-rivers-celtics-marcus-smart-reminds-me-of-a-better-version-of-me/

Well, that's it, then.  I'm done with Smart, lol (sarcasm). ;D Honestly, though, if Doc Rivers is the best we can hope for, uh, we might be better off just trading him now, lol. ;D

Doc was a very very good player! Ill sign up for it now

Its funny though, because Doc barely took any three's and shot 47% his 1st season, and his 1st 5 seasons , pretty much the same deal.

He was?  I've looked at his stats before, but nothing really blew me away.  He did make an all star team, though, and that was tough to do in the 80s.

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2015, 11:51:10 PM »

Offline lewis35

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
I do think smart was a a bit of a safety pick.  He's not going to be all-nba,  but could be an Andre miller type with better defense.  Not a super athlete but a very solid,  grind it out PG on a contender

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2015, 11:54:34 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Oh now Smart's ceiling is a role player now?!  ::)

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2015, 12:01:45 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
It's early but put me in the camp that is now worried about Smart. All the hustle and heart won't matter if he can't score. He was much better at getting his own shot in college than he's shown so far.

Ditto.

It's kind of hard to score when you're the fifth man on offense and nothing is ran for you, which is what happens in Stevens' offense with Smart. I don't really think we'll be able to learn much from his offense this year given all of the turnover and his role in Stevens' offense. I think next year Stevens will give him the keys to the offense and we'll get a true small forward from somewhere, and then we'll really see what we have in Smart.

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2015, 12:03:25 AM »

Offline lewis35

• Xavier Tillman
If Marcus averages 15 and 7 through a period of 7-8 years I would be ok with that.  Miller became a role player later on in his career.

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2015, 12:04:46 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
If Marcus averages 15 and 7 through a period of 7-8 years I would be ok with that.  Miller became a role player later on in his career.

He has the potential to do 15, 7, 4, and 2 + steals a game

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2015, 12:05:13 AM »

Offline lewis35

• Xavier Tillman
And much better defense????

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2015, 12:06:25 AM »

Offline lewis35

• Xavier Tillman
Disregard the question marks

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2015, 12:56:57 AM »

Offline Kuberski1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Clearly he's struggling on the offense, and that was his weakness coming out of college. 

One parallel as food for thought...Jason Kidd.  He not only didn't hit 40% his rookie year, but neither in year 2 or 3.  And while he never became a great shooter, he became a good offensive player...and had plenty else to offer....and was a 10 time all-star.  Not saying Smart will follow the same path, but rookie struggles are not often a predictor of the future.

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2015, 01:29:08 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Smart isn't playing well enough to earn more minutes.   He's become a huge albatross on offense for the starters right now.

Arguably, he shouldn't even be starting at this point.

Blame it on the 'rookie wall' if you want.  And I'm not saying that Smart doesn't have a great future ahead of him.  But right now, he is part of the problem with our starters.

Are we serious about trying to make the playoffs or not?  If not, then whatever, might as well tank our way into the 9th pick (still within reach).   But if we are, then why the heck isn't Thomas starting?

I don't see how that's the case. Every time I see Smart, he hustles on both ends of the floor and plays his as* off.

Certainly you could make the argument that maybe Isaiah should be starting with Smart being the 6th man, but right now in my mind Smart's play is the least of this team's worries and has been a HUGE bright spot.

I think he's already become a better point guard than Rondo ever was.

:o There are no words...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2015, 01:59:34 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
Soooo now people are seeing Smart as what he is and what he'll always will be: a mediocre player. Looks like that guy who compared Smart to Banks a year should receive an apology.

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2015, 02:03:49 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
Alright I should drop the act, I was joking about Smart being the next Marcus Banks. Though it does iratate me that people are giving up on him.

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2015, 02:45:43 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think he might just be hitting a rookie wall.  His offense is a work in progress.  It takes a while for some players.  Just look at Avery Bradley.  I think Smarts ceiling is higher than Bradley's.  Bradley was a mess his rookie year and look at him now.

In fairness to AB, he really never played until the last 1-2 games of his rookie year, but when he did get a chance to play, he dropped 20 on the knicks, iirc, which is far better than what we've seen from Smart so far.

AB literally had a good half of basketball vs. the Knicks on the last game of the regular season, when both teams were resting anyone who was a regular, since they were going to start a playoff series against each other in three days.  It was a fun game to watch, but to say that his game against the Knicks was better than the 25/9/5 line that Smart put up just 10 days ago against OKC in the middle of a playoff race for both teams is just laughable.