Author Topic: Is Smart in Steven's doghouse?  (Read 16608 times)

Is Smart in Steven's doghouse?
« on: March 29, 2015, 09:47:29 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I noticed it in the Brooklyn game on Monday and noticed it again tonight.

Smart is benched to start the 3rd quarter.

On top of that, Stevens gives key minutes of tonight's game to Phil freakin' Pressey.

Yes, I know tonight's game was over before it even began, but these whacky, inconsistent lineups that Stevens leaves on the court drive me nuts (why is Bass doing the jump ball at the beginning of games and not Zeller?)

It just seems that Smart's minutes haven been cut down since that incident with Bonner.

On top of that, it really ticked me off how Hawes and Turkoglu both roughed up Smart tonight.

I would let Smart free and let him be this team's enforcer to show other teams we are not going to be stepped all over.

Re: Is Smart in Steven's doghouse?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 09:57:13 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I think he is which is unfortunate. Smart and Stevens seem to be such opposites in terms of personality, and I think that may contribute to it. Even now, I think those two guys are the most influential guys on the Celtics. They need to heal that relationship asap.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 09:58:32 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
Why do you want Smart to be the enforcer

Its the worst possible thing........

he will get destroyed coming to the basket on a drive one day if hes the enforcer........

EDIT: He doesnt go anywhere near the basket on offense , so maybe him being the enforcer isnt such a bad idea.

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 10:10:04 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Maybe Stevens is starting to realize that Marcus Smart is no better than Marcus Banks.

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 10:13:01 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Smart isn't playing well enough to earn more minutes.   He's become a huge albatross on offense for the starters right now.

Arguably, he shouldn't even be starting at this point.

Blame it on the 'rookie wall' if you want.  And I'm not saying that Smart doesn't have a great future ahead of him.  But right now, he is part of the problem with our starters.

Are we serious about trying to make the playoffs or not?  If not, then whatever, might as well tank our way into the 9th pick (still within reach).   But if we are, then why the heck isn't Thomas starting?
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 10:15:50 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I'm more concerned with him being in the league's And referees' doghouse. It seems to me on the rare occasion he actually does drive to the hoop he gets raked by defenders and never gets calls. That has to be frustrating.

He needs to spend a lot of time in the offseason trying to develop some kind of dribble drive scoring ability at the NBA level.

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 10:21:11 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Smart isn't playing well enough to earn more minutes.   He's become a huge albatross on offense for the starters right now.

Arguably, he shouldn't even be starting at this point.

Blame it on the 'rookie wall' if you want.  And I'm not saying that Smart doesn't have a great future ahead of him.  But right now, he is part of the problem with our starters.

Are we serious about trying to make the playoffs or not?  If not, then whatever, might as well tank our way into the 9th pick (still within reach).   But if we are, then why the heck isn't Thomas starting?

I don't see how that's the case. Every time I see Smart, he hustles on both ends of the floor and plays his as* off.

Certainly you could make the argument that maybe Isaiah should be starting with Smart being the 6th man, but right now in my mind Smart's play is the least of this team's worries and has been a HUGE bright spot.

I think he's already become a better point guard than Rondo ever was.

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 10:22:37 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Maybe Stevens is starting to realize that Marcus Smart is no better than Marcus Banks.

Or maybe Brad Stevens doesn't know what he's doing.

If I see him play Phil Pressey one more time, I am going to go nuts.

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 10:29:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think years from now we we going to learn that Stevens found Smart to be a difficult player to coach. I have zero evidence to this but just have a hunch given all the yoyoing of Smart in and out of the lineup. He is obviously not doing what Stevens expects from him and I know Stevens isn't cool with Smart's on the court dirty play at times that have gotten him Flagrants and ejections.

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 10:36:16 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I think years from now we we going to learn that Stevens found Smart to be a difficult player to coach. I have zero evidence to this but just have a hunch given all the yoyoing of Smart in and out of the lineup. He is obviously not doing what Stevens expects from him and I know Stevens isn't cool with Smart's on the court dirty play at times that have gotten him Flagrants and ejections.

I think the problem with Stevens he wants to run a "good ol boy" team where he takes the players out for ice cream regardless if they win or lose like in little league.

I have no problem with Smart's play on the court.

What about all the dirty hits the Celts have taken from other players like DWade and Whiteside?

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 10:37:01 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

Include Smart in a package to bring Cousins here. Then sign Leonard and Rondo in the offseason.

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 10:46:09 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
a silly and baseless comparison the first time, and still just as silly and baseless the 125th time.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 10:46:48 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Include Smart in a package to bring Cousins here. Then sign Leonard and Rondo in the offseason.

Even though I am a big Smart fan, I would not oppose this idea.

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 10:47:13 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930

I think the problem with Stevens he wants to run a "good ol boy" team where he takes the players out for ice cream regardless if they win or lose like in little league.

I have no problem with Smart's play on the court.

What about all the dirty hits the Celts have taken from other players like DWade and Whiteside?
Same here. Many here have totally overblown the flagrant BS stuff. But it definitely looks like Smart is in the doghouse for some reason or another. I don't see Smart being Rondo-like and hard to coach. He seems like a high-character kid who just plays a rough and tough brand of basketball. Perhaps it's just the rookie wall.

On the other hand, Stevens hasn't exactly set Smart up to succeed on the offensive end, either. He's almost always been an afterthought in the offense, and he always has to get his own on that side of the ball.

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 10:47:34 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
a silly and baseless comparison the first time, and still just as silly and baseless the 125th time.

TP