Author Topic: C's likely to give Kawhi Leonard a offer sheet this summer (boston globe)  (Read 12225 times)

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Maybe Danny will sign both KLove and Leonard

That would be solid. I still think Ainge has DeAndre Jordan ahead of everybody. He wanted him in the Doc/KG deal, so what has changed ? He has to be the number one target.

A combo of Leonard/Love, Leonard/Jordan, or Love/Jordan would turn this franchise around in a quick hurry. Is it financially possible though ?

Would make it much more possible if Celtics pay somebody to eat Wallace's $10mill.

Why don't the Celts just amnesty Wallace?  That do have that option, don't they? Wallace is literally just sitting on the bench and collecting a 10 million dollar paycheck. Drives me nuts.

He doesn't for the criteria to be amnestied (he wasn't on the roster when the new CBA was signed)

He could be stretched, but that would leave $3.3 million in dead cap space on the books for three years (when, presumably, we'll be trying to compete), so wed be better off either using him (combined with a pick) as salary filler in a trade, sending away him and a pick  for cap space to sign someone, or just holding him another year and then gaining the cap space next off season, which is supposed to have a good FA class
I'm bitter.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

He doesn't for the criteria to be amnestied (he wasn't on the roster when the new CBA was signed)

He could be stretched, but that would leave $3.3 million in dead cap space on the books for three years (when, presumably, we'll be trying to compete), so wed be better off either using him (combined with a pick) as salary filler in a trade, sending away him and a pick  for cap space to sign someone, or just holding him another year and then gaining the cap space next off season, which is supposed to have a good FA class

If we signed Love in particular, but really any big name PF, then all of a sudden Sully becomes expendable.  Sully is only making about $1.5 million, so combining it with Wallace's expiring would allow us trade for a much better player making around $12 million.  Plus, with the cap about to jump up huge in two years, a $10 million expiring next year would be a major asset to a lot of teams.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

That would be solid. I still think Ainge has DeAndre Jordan ahead of everybody. He wanted him in the Doc/KG deal, so what has changed ? He has to be the number one target.

A combo of Leonard/Love, Leonard/Jordan, or Love/Jordan would turn this franchise around in a quick hurry. Is it financially possible though ?

Would make it much more possible if Celtics pay somebody to eat Wallace's $10mill.

Why don't the Celts just amnesty Wallace?  That do have that option, don't they? Wallace is literally just sitting on the bench and collecting a 10 million dollar paycheck. Drives me nuts.

His contract is also good for cap filler in a trade.  Say for example Cousins demands to be traded, Wallace could be sent along with rookie scale contracts and future draft picks to Sacramento to allow the trade to be completed under the trading rules of the CBA.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

I'm guessing that part of it is that the Celts don't view 2015 as the big year, they are looking out to 2016.  First, it's going to be tough to get any of the top free agents.  Seriously, if you're Kevin Love and you have offers from both the Celtics and the Lakers, which way do you go?  And even if you get them, you will only get a one-year contract out of them as they await the salary cap adjustment.  True, you'll have first shot at him, but that's about it.  SA will match any offer for KL.  Anything else is wishful thinking.  It may only cost you $3.3m to amnesty Wallace, but you might as well have as much dry powder as possible.

Mike

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Heck, maybe you'd have a better chance getting Danny Green from SA instead as he'll be an Unrestricted free agent.

Danny Green is no Leonard.
I don't think Leonard will leave San Antonio, but it would be criminal negligence not to at least investigate the opportunity to add him to the Celtics.

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
Kwahi and butler are targets 1 and 2.
Khris Middleton is the third target and most likely to me.

Why would we won't Butler, when we have plenty of guards? 

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
If I'm Kawhi Leonard, I'd have serious doubts about re-signing long term with the Spurs.

It's been a great ride there for him but he's 23, coming into his prime, and:

1. Duncan, Ginobli and Parker are two steps from retirment
2. Who knows how much longer Pop will be there as well
3. So unless they can go sign something like Love and Gasol or Aldridge and Gasol, etc., 

What, really, is the attraction for him to stay there? A sign and trade to a young contender makes the most sense to me.

Otherwiase he could very likely end up wasting the next 3-5 years playing on a so-so team (at best) in San Antonio.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If I'm Kawhi Leonard, I'd have serious doubts about re-signing long term with the Spurs.

3. So unless they can go sign something like Love and Gasol or Aldridge and Gasol, etc., 

What, really, is the attraction for him to stay there? A sign and trade to a young contender makes the most sense to me.

Otherwiase he could very likely end up wasting the next 3-5 years playing on a so-so team (at best) in San Antonio.
$, weather, fans

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

$, weather, fans

no state income tax

Offline markb

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
I would do DA's laundry for a season if the line up was something like

D Jordan
J Okafor
Butler or Leonard
Bradley
Smart

6th I Thomas

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

D Jordan
J Okafor
Butler or Leonard
Bradley
Smart

6th I Thomas

... How are we getting Okafor?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
1. He can find a way to make the money work - sign and trade scenario.
2. State taxes are significant but many other guys play elsewhere and seem to be able to scrape by
3. Weather - no argument
4. Boston's fans are as good, or better, than any in the league.

I guess my point is, or my perspective as a player would be:

You need to show me that two max free agents are coming in here in the next 1-2 years, or I'm moving on.

Whay would I (he) have any interest in playing 3-5 years in San Antonio without the Duncan / Parker / Ginobli trio?  How does San Antone rebuild quickly?

I could also see him seriously considering the Lakers - he's from Riverside, CA...

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Man I am drooling over Kawhi right now.  20 pts / 9 reb / 3 ast / 4 stl / 2 blk on 7-12 shooting, with only 1 TO and 2 fouls.  He is so beastly.  The game isn't even over yet!

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

D Jordan
J Okafor
Butler or Leonard
Bradley
Smart

6th I Thomas

... How are we getting Okafor?

... How are we playing Jordan and Okafor in the same line-up? The spacing would be brutal.

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Woo. ::) He's not coming here.  He's already won a title and a finals mvp in San Antonio, and Pop even said that he'll be the face of the franchise moving forward.  Sorry.