Author Topic: C's likely to give Kawhi Leonard a offer sheet this summer (boston globe)  (Read 12223 times)

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Do the Spurs and Celtics end of seasons count here. If Spurs fail in the playoffs, Leonard has to consider where he wants to be. If C's can knock off more fancied sides in the run in, that has got to look better for our future.

Unfortunately, I doubt he would leave a winning team with Championship credentials for a team with dreams. Would like to think DA could have a go at convincing him the future is green.

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Do the Spurs and Celtics end of seasons count here. If Spurs fail in the playoffs, Leonard has to consider where he wants to be. If C's can knock off more fancied sides in the run in, that has got to look better for our future.

Unfortunately, I doubt he would leave a winning team with Championship credentials for a team with dreams. Would like to think DA could have a go at convincing him the future is green.

I think we have more of a chance getting Jimmy Butler especially if Thibs leaves

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
After that beat down from the Clippers

One things certain

Celtics need a drastic upgrade in starting players .  Celtics can put together a good bench roster ....Zeller , Crowder , KO ...

Celtics need Elite set of starters to lead them.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The bench is here but not all these guys will stay I wager.   We do need some stars bad.

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Maybe Danny will sign both KLove and Leonard

That would be solid. I still think Ainge has DeAndre Jordan ahead of everybody. He wanted him in the Doc/KG deal, so what has changed ? He has to be the number one target.

A combo of Leonard/Love, Leonard/Jordan, or Love/Jordan would turn this franchise around in a quick hurry. Is it financially possible though ?

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

That would be solid. I still think Ainge has DeAndre Jordan ahead of everybody. He wanted him in the Doc/KG deal, so what has changed ? He has to be the number one target.

A combo of Leonard/Love, Leonard/Jordan, or Love/Jordan would turn this franchise around in a quick hurry. Is it financially possible though ?

Would make it much more possible if Celtics pay somebody to eat Wallace's $10mill.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
can you imagine the perimeter defense of Smart, Bradley and Kawhi ? :o

Crowder as well. Smart, Crowder, and Leonard can all guard multiple positions. Tons of flexibility out there. It would be a huge pickup.

Smart, Bradley, Crowder, Leonard, & any 5 man. Defensive small ball.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The Spurs are going to match whatever we offer. The only way I see him coming here is if we work out a sign and trade with the Spurs that convinces them not to match.

I'm sure the C's will attempt to sign all of the quality restricted free agents to offer sheets and with their excess of picks they will have the ability to make a solid sign and trade offer for most rfa
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The Spurs are going to match whatever we offer. The only way I see him coming here is if we work out a sign and trade with the Spurs that convinces them not to match.

I'm sure the C's will attempt to sign all of the quality restricted free agents to offer sheets and with their excess of picks they will have the ability to make a solid sign and trade offer for most rfa
except the C's can only do that once until the decision is made because signing someone to an offer sheet puts all that money on hold and it counts against the cap.  So Boston will have to pick the one person it wants to tie up the money for and go after him and him only, whether that person is a restricted or unrestricted free agent doesn't matter except that you know you will sign the unrestricted (so Monroe is better in that regard than Butler or Leonard).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

except the C's can only do that once until the decision is made because signing someone to an offer sheet puts all that money on hold and it counts against the cap.  So Boston will have to pick the one person it wants to tie up the money for and go after him and him only, whether that person is a restricted or unrestricted free agent doesn't matter except that you know you will sign the unrestricted (so Monroe is better in that regard than Butler or Leonard).
We can offer everyone an offer sheet, the money only becomes tied up once the player signs it. I don't think there will be a lot of players who accept the C's offer sheets.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
With a lot of free agents this year, the spurs will almost assuredly have to hope for Duncan and Manu to retire and then renounce guys like Bellinelli and Green in order to think about going after two max level guys. Spurs have never been big spenders. If Kawhi wants his max money and the Spurs are not willing to pay it, Kawhi could indeed be available in a sign and trade.
The Spurs are paying over $70mil in salary this year so not exactly cheapskates.  They'll pay Leonard regardless of whether Duncan and Manu retire.  I don't see Gasol leaving the Grizz for the Spurs but definitely not if they let Leonard go.  Leonard, Green and Bellinelli don't make that much so their cap holds probably wouldn't prevent them from getting Gasol first and then re-signing their players.  Even if they can't, giving up Bellinelli and Green would be worth it to have Parker, Leonard and Gasol as their core to build around.
I think someone needs to brush up on their knowledge of the NBA salary cap and spending limits. At $70 million SA is under the luxury tax and being in a small market most likely need to remain there so $70 doesn't make them big spenders, quite the contrary.

Also the cap holds on all the Spurs free agents puts them well over the salary cap which means renouncing the rights or having players retire in order to open up the space to sign a max level free agent. So holding onto the rights to Kawhi, Green and Bellinelli, keeping their 5 guaranteed players for next year, renouncing everyone else, and counting the empty player slot holds leaves SA at about $54 million with a salary cap at a projected $66 million.  That leaves no room for Gasol. Only through renouncing Green and Bellinelli along with everyone else, signing Gasol first and then signing Kawhi could SA get both players and even then the rest of the roster will be made up of vet minimum contracts.

Correct. I think the notion of San Antonio being "a small market team of limited means" or whatever is grossly exaggerated. They get their players on discounts because they know they can make a strong case for being the best place for their sort of players (and SA has a type) to play at a price that's fair.

with no state income tax in Texas(i dont get how the majority of the owners dont find a way to even this out in the CBA) might he be willing to take less then the max to stay in San Antonio?

It depends on where he's headed -- endorsement deals can more than makeup the difference.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

We can offer everyone an offer sheet, the money only becomes tied up once the player signs it. I don't think there will be a lot of players who accept the C's offer sheets.
Yeah but if you have 5 offers out, the minute a player signs one the others have to be withdrawn. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I think that the main change with the sign and trade rules are that the original team can offer 7.5% raises and if the player is being S&T'd then you can only offer 4.5% raises (is that correct?).   I am guessing Danny will offer a two year max deal with a player option the second year and a promise of a massive payday in the new cap structure.  He would be so worth it. 

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Also, every team with money to spend is going to give Kawhi Leonard an offer sheet.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Would make it much more possible if Celtics pay somebody to eat Wallace's $10mill.

Why don't the Celts just amnesty Wallace?  That do have that option, don't they? Wallace is literally just sitting on the bench and collecting a 10 million dollar paycheck. Drives me nuts.