Author Topic: C's likely to give Kawhi Leonard a offer sheet this summer (boston globe)  (Read 12201 times)

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I would try to do a sign and trade with the Spurs to ensure Kawhi gets his max money and then give the Spurs a 1st  rounder or two to make sure they don't hold up the process.

I do know they've changed the rules to greatly discourage sign-n-trades.  I believe you can no longer sign a guy to a five-year deal and then immediately trade him.

Mike

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Are there any rumors that the Spurs have set a price on what they would give Leonard?

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Are there any rumors that the Spurs have set a price on what they would give Leonard?
There is no indication that the Spurs will do anything other than re-sign Leonard.  He is clearly worth a current Max contract with the big jump in cap space coming from the tv deal. 

Offline The_Truth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
Something tells me that Bradley will have a career year during the 2015 - 2016 season. That being said the lineup of:

Smart
Bradley
Leonard
Sullinger (or KO)
1st round pick (C)

Will truly become a force in the East under CBS. Go C's!

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
There is no indication that the Spurs will do anything other than re-sign Leonard.  He is clearly worth a current Max contract with the big jump in cap space coming from the tv deal.

I heard a few times they are reluctant on giving him the max... so a max offer and some luck might work.. but dont forget there are other markets who have cap space and can do the same..

Celtics do have bargaining chips to do a sign and trade with the Spurs

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697

I heard a few times they are reluctant on giving him the max... so a max offer and some luck might work.. but dont forget there are other markets who have cap space and can do the same..

Celtics do have bargaining chips to do a sign and trade with the Spurs

There are some reports that the Spurs want to give a max offer to Marc Gasol this summer, so they may not be able or willing to pay both Gasol and Leonard max money.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
With a lot of free agents this year, the spurs will almost assuredly have to hope for Duncan and Manu to retire and then renounce guys like Bellinelli and Green in order to think about going after two max level guys. Spurs have never been big spenders. If Kawhi wants his max money and the Spurs are not willing to pay it, Kawhi could indeed be available in a sign and trade.

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Maybe Danny will sign both KLove and Leonard

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25
with no state income tax in Texas(i dont get how the majority of the owners dont find a way to even this out in the CBA) might he be willing to take less then the max to stay in San Antonio?

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
With a lot of free agents this year, the spurs will almost assuredly have to hope for Duncan and Manu to retire and then renounce guys like Bellinelli and Green in order to think about going after two max level guys. Spurs have never been big spenders. If Kawhi wants his max money and the Spurs are not willing to pay it, Kawhi could indeed be available in a sign and trade.
The Spurs are paying over $70mil in salary this year so not exactly cheapskates.  They'll pay Leonard regardless of whether Duncan and Manu retire.  I don't see Gasol leaving the Grizz for the Spurs but definitely not if they let Leonard go.  Leonard, Green and Bellinelli don't make that much so their cap holds probably wouldn't prevent them from getting Gasol first and then re-signing their players.  Even if they can't, giving up Bellinelli and Green would be worth it to have Parker, Leonard and Gasol as their core to build around. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:13:23 PM by tazzmaniac »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
If not , I really like this kid Winslow, he reminds me of a less offensive, superior defending James Harden, kid plays like him just isn't as skilled offensively but definitely he's already superior to him would be a great draft pick.

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
Watching this duke Gonzaga game,might actually rather trade up and get Winslow then Khawi lol? This kid is a monster, 6'7 built great , rebounds and brings it up, can shoot the three, a lefty, when he drives he reminds me of James harden, this kid Is the superstar of the draft. But I don't think we'd be able to draft him.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Spurs are paying over $70mil in salary this year so not exactly cheapskates.  They'll pay Leonard regardless of whether Duncan and Manu retire.  I don't see Gasol leaving the Grizz for the Spurs but definitely not if they let Leonard go.  Leonard, Green and Bellinelli don't make that much so their cap holds probably wouldn't prevent them from getting Gasol first and then re-signing their players.  Even if they can't, giving up Bellinelli and Green would be worth it to have Parker, Leonard and Gasol as their core to build around.
I think someone needs to brush up on their knowledge of the NBA salary cap and spending limits. At $70 million SA is under the luxury tax and being in a small market most likely need to remain there so $70 doesn't make them big spenders, quite the contrary.

Also the cap holds on all the Spurs free agents puts them well over the salary cap which means renouncing the rights or having players retire in order to open up the space to sign a max level free agent. So holding onto the rights to Kawhi, Green and Bellinelli, keeping their 5 guaranteed players for next year, renouncing everyone else, and counting the empty player slot holds leaves SA at about $54 million with a salary cap at a projected $66 million.  That leaves no room for Gasol. Only through renouncing Green and Bellinelli along with everyone else, signing Gasol first and then signing Kawhi could SA get both players and even then the rest of the roster will be made up of vet minimum contracts.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Maybe Danny will sign both KLove and Leonard

Now that would be a hell of an offseason!

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
doubt it...

We'd need to renounce exceptions and contracts just to have enough money to offer him a max contract.  That's a waste when you consider the Spurs are obviously going to match.