Author Topic: C's likely to give Kawhi Leonard a offer sheet this summer (boston globe)  (Read 12268 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Kawhi Leonard said he is 100 percent healthy again, giving the Spurs their most versatile player back for the stretch run. Leonard will be a restricted free agent this summer and will receive his share of offer sheets, likely including one from the Celtics. Boston coach Brad Stevens gushed about Leonard's defensive prowess

Saw this on the front page, thought it was worth a thread.

Of course they are, but I don't see any way SAS doesn't match

BUT

If you are Kawhi, do you sign a long term deal this year? or gamble like Monroe did this year and then play out 1 year as a restricted free agent with the ability to go anywhere you want in 2016 for more money?

I imagine we might do the same offer to Butler.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 04:37:07 PM by rondohondo »

Re: C's to give Kawhi Leonard an offer sheet this summer (boston globe)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 11:20:24 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Don't offer sheets technically count against the cap or something?  If we made a max offer to Kawhi, that would limit what we could offer to other free agents?  Would Ainge have to staple a 1st rounder to Wallace to make max offers to both Kawhi and Monroe, or can he make the offers and then trade Wallace if they accept?

Mike

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

If you are Kawhi, do you sign a long term deal this year?

Ideally, you sign a max deal with an opt out after one or two seasons.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
can you imagine the perimeter defense of Smart, Bradley and Kawhi ? :o

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 11:25:04 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Don't offer sheets technically count against the cap or something?  If we made a max offer to Kawhi, that would limit what we could offer to other free agents?  Would Ainge have to staple a 1st rounder to Wallace to make max offers to both Kawhi and Monroe, or can he make the offers and then trade Wallace if they accept?

Mike

They count against you for a week or however long it is until the Spurs match or let him go.  Then he either counts against our cap because we signed him, or not at all.  It is only a problem if there is a free agent feeding frenzy right out of the gate and we have to wait for San Antonio to decide.  I think we'd have enough money free with the cap going up that it wouldn't be a problem in the least.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I would LOVE to have Leonard I just think it will be VERY hard to pry him away from San Antonio.

I think the team should make Love or Monroe their number 1 target.

If they feel getting another small forward is their main priority, perhaps Tobias Harris might be a more realistic target.

Heck, maybe you'd have a better chance getting Danny Green from SA instead as he'll be an Unrestricted free agent.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would LOVE to have Leonard I just think it will be VERY hard to pry him away from San Antonio.

I think the team should make Love or Monroe their number 1 target.

If they feel getting another small forward is their main priority, perhaps Tobias Harris might be a more realistic target.

Heck, maybe you'd have a better chance getting Danny Green from SA instead as he'll be an Unrestricted free agent.

Offer max and make the Spurs sweat.  It's not an organization that has alot of money. Parker has been on major discount all of his career.

Offer Max, let them match, weaken their team a little worse case.

Best case, bring in Leonard. What is the best he can get 15 million a season?  Leonard is worth that

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Kwahi and butler are targets 1 and 2.
Khris Middleton is the third target and most likely to me.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 12:29:19 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Mike

They count against you for a week or however long it is until the Spurs match or let him go.  Then he either counts against our cap because we signed him, or not at all.  It is only a problem if there is a free agent feeding frenzy right out of the gate and we have to wait for San Antonio to decide.  I think we'd have enough money free with the cap going up that it wouldn't be a problem in the least.
The current team has 3 days to match a signed offer sheet.  However, I'd be surprised if the Spurs didn't already work out a Max deal with Leonard before other teams can make their offers.   

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Everyone in the top 3 tiers should get calls from C's. Never know what can break in your favor.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I would try to do a sign and trade with the Spurs to ensure Kawhi gets his max money and then give the Spurs a 1st  rounder or two to make sure they don't hold up the process. If the Spurs are thinking  that Duncan is gone and they don't want to invest max money in Kawhi, it might be the way to go.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I would try to do a sign and trade with the Spurs to ensure Kawhi gets his max money and then give the Spurs a 1st  rounder or two to make sure they don't hold up the process. If the Spurs are thinking  that Duncan is gone and they don't want to invest max money in Kawhi, it might be the way to go.

Absolutely this. Two first or a 1st and Evan Turner for a sign-and-trade just so Kawhi would get everything he would ask and the Spurs would not lose out on a ton.

I think Leonard would resign with the Spurs either way, but Danny should atleast put an offer like this on the table.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Kwahi and butler are targets 1 and 2.
Khris Middleton is the third target and most likely to me.

Jimmy Butler might be more realistic than Leonard.

The owner of the Bulls is known to be a cheapskate and perhaps you could pry him from ChiTown.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

So you think they'd go complete rebuild from the ground up? Perhaps that is the smart play to give the conferences time to even back out a bit and nab some good pieces in the process.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

So you think they'd go complete rebuild from the ground up? Perhaps that is the smart play to give the conferences time to even back out a bit and nab some good pieces in the process.

They'd likely want Smart and a few draft picks just for Starters . Don't see them letting him go at all.