Poll

If we combined our own pick+ the Clippers pick and traded up to the #8 pick you take...

Stanley Johnson SF
7 (29.2%)
Willie Cauley-Stein C
6 (25%)
Justise Winslow SF
6 (25%)
Kristaps Porzingis PF
2 (8.3%)
Mario Hezonja SG/SF
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: If Celtics could trade up to pick #8 of the 2015 draft, who would you take?  (Read 2689 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
So lets assume that one of these guys will be available if we traded up into the top 8 picks. We'd presumably have to give up at least our own 2015 pick and the Clippers pick. eg we finish with 10th pick and we trade up to Denver or Detroits #8 pick by giving them our #10 pick+25th Clippers pick.
Danny's going to obviously consider doing this.
Which would do you take and why?

Stanley Johnson SF
Willie Cauley Stein C
Justise Winslow SF
Kristaps Porzingis PF
Mario Hezonja SG/SF

2nd question:
If you had to give up our own 2015 pick, the Clippers pick AND a Brooklyn pick, would you still do it for one of these guys?
ie we get the #13 pick and have to give up #13,#25 (clippers) and a future Brooklyn pick (Say 2016)
Personally I'd do it for Ponzingris.

Who you got?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:17:55 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
I chose Stanley Johnson but I could have also went with Hezonja considering his elite offense skills

but not sure how they are going to translate to the nba game where it is much faster and guys are equal in athleticism or more at the SF and SG position for him

Stanley Johnson has elite defensive skills that will immediately translate in the nba but a bit worried about his offensive game

I don't think I would pull the trigger with giving up 3 picks for 1 - as nets pick looks sort of valuable if they continue to have poor management, they will guaranteed be in the lottery next year 
Also I don't see the reward being worth the risk, if u had said to give up 3 picks for 1 and that one was a chance to get wiggins, Parker , Anthony Davis - I would say yes because u know what u are getting and there is slightly less risk involved with a higher reward

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
winslow without a doubt

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
As someone with very little knowledge of college hoops...

What do people think of poeltl?

Edit: by college hoops I mean to say the draft in general.

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
Another thread? Good Lord. We should have one big thread about draft choices and that's all.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Another thread? Good Lord. We should have one big thread about draft choices and that's all.
What would you rather do, have threads about who thinks C's can win a game if they make the playoffs? Talking draft is having long term hope.

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Winslow.

I use to be on the SJohnson bandwagon, but Winslow has moved ahead. No chance Winslow falls to 8 thou. He'll be a top 5 pick. SJohnson will probably be gone by 8 as well. If both are them are gone I'd take WCS.

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
As a Duke fan I think Winslow needs one more year to really hone his skill set. His game has been very Harden-like all year (shoot open threes, drive and make contact) so I think he's more suited for the 2 than the 3 anyway.

We don't get to see any of Towns' flaws because Kentucky's big man rotation is really solid. However WCS is a sophomore or junior now? I'll take his experience over Towns' and I haven't seen a Kentucky game without WCS being super engaged. Yeah, sucks that we have to hope players can be engaged but that's how it is these days.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Arizona bias,  but Stanley Johnson has just scratched the surface.   The sky is the limit for him.   He could be really really good.   Plus with that body and frame,  he's a tank.

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
If all of those players are available at 8 and the Celts pick at 10, no way they would move up.  I would love any of those players on the Celts, if the Celts pick 15th I would trade both picks to move to 10 or 11.

To answer the second part of your question, no way I would trade a Brooklyn pick, I would prefer trading the Celtics 2016 pick over Brooklyns. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
A related and more important question: who would trade down?

This is an easier question than it'd be in many years, because there's real separation in terms of W/L. Right now SAC/DEN/DET are 6/7/8 and if they end up being in those three slots, there's a 99% chance one of them will pick 8 based on lottery probabilities.

So...taking them one by one.

SAC: Interesting because they already have a star, so might be looking fo supporting cast-type players and depth more than other teams. C and SF are their strongest roster positions currently, but I don't see that as a hindrance to taking any of the guys on the list. The one personnel factor could be if they are in love with a PG or more classic PF slated to go 15th-20th, where those positions are falling in mocks (Dunn/Grant/Harrell/Looney etc.).

Even given those needs they'd probably be better off trading for a star rather than trading down, but you also can't discount anything given their front office. And heck, maybe they are feeling seller's remorse and we can throw them IT and #15 for #8.

DEN: I don't see them moving the pick. They need a star and there are guys with more star potential at #8 than #12 or #15. They also need an SF and there will be a few to pick from at #8 who will be gone at #15.

DET: They also need an SF, and probably a scoring PF too (e.g., Kaminsky). But their needs are many and they are a bit unpredictable, so they might be interested. It's too bad Sully has flamed out, if productive he would've been an enticing replacement for Monroe as part of a package for #8.

Bottom line: ordinarily I think it's very difficult to trade up. Here I think DEN is out as a trade partner, and probably DET too. SAC is a possibility, if only because they seem...confused.

To answer the OP, if Danny thinks Hezonja or Porzingis has 20ppg scoring potential I'd go with that. Danny's repeatedly said that the hardest guys to find are those who can take over scoring-wise down the stretch of a game, and if we can draft a player like that I'd say go for it.