Author Topic: Sabonis with Clip Pick  (Read 9259 times)

Re: Sabonis with Clip Pick
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 05:33:01 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
I watched Sabonis Senior play his best years in the Euroleague. By the time he got to the NBA he was already broken down, but was still able to dominate through skill (maybe best passing Center ever) and size. If you ask people who saw him at his prime, they would say he was one of the top 5 centers of alltime. (Along with Russel, Wilt, Malone and Hakeem in my book).

It is unfair to ask his son to live up to such a level. He seems like a good player, still growing into his game.

not sure about top 5 centres of all time. Also I noticed u didnt put kareem and shaq in your top 5. judging by the way he played i would have said definitely in the top 10 of centres

Sabonis in his prime would have dominated the NBA and it is unfortunate that he only came here when he was already passed his prime and had suffered injuries.

Sabonis in his prime with that portland team of drexler, porter, williams and robinson would have won at least a couple of championships I believe.

He passed, shot the 3, and had a very good post game

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 07:56:07 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I have watched him closely. He is nothing like his dad. He's more like his Miss Lithuania mom. He is on record saying he wants to stay in college all 4 years. I wouldn't get your hopes up. Duke is going to tear that team limb from limb and I think it will answer a lot of questions. Parnowski is a good college guy but very very heavy and big. I don't think Parnowski would do well with the speed of the nba game. He gets tired towards the end. I don't think he'd be very fast by nba standards. I think a Ty Zeller would destroy him

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 09:06:22 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I have watched him closely. He is nothing like his dad.

I agree.  He got elbowed on a pick and was about to cry last night.   He had to be taken out and looked like he was sobbing on the side line.   The guy is not mentally tough nor physically tough.   Of course, it hurts when one takes an elbow in the solar plexus but you don't let the other guy know it.  His handling of it, reeks of softness.

He will be there in the second round, I wager.  Gonzaga might have no one drafted despite going far into the NCAAs.

Someone needs to tell Kevin Pangos, that his haircut went out of style right after Back to the Future III.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 09:20:59 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 10:58:29 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I have watched him closely. He is nothing like his dad. He's more like his Miss Lithuania mom. He is on record saying he wants to stay in college all 4 years. I wouldn't get your hopes up. Duke is going to tear that team limb from limb and I think it will answer a lot of questions. Parnowski is a good college guy but very very heavy and big. I don't think Parnowski would do well with the speed of the nba game. He gets tired towards the end. I don't think he'd be very fast by nba standards. I think a Ty Zeller would destroy him

I agree with your take on Parnowski, he reminds me of Big Country Reeves, dominate college post players who are not fast enough for the NBA game.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 11:17:48 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I watched Sabonis Senior play his best years in the Euroleague. By the time he got to the NBA he was already broken down, but was still able to dominate through skill (maybe best passing Center ever) and size. If you ask people who saw him at his prime, they would say he was one of the top 5 centers of alltime. (Along with Russel, Wilt, Malone and Hakeem in my book).

It is unfair to ask his son to live up to such a level. He seems like a good player, still growing into his game.

not sure about top 5 centres of all time. Also I noticed u didnt put kareem and shaq in your top 5. judging by the way he played i would have said definitely in the top 10 of centres

Sabonis in his prime would have dominated the NBA and it is unfortunate that he only came here when he was already passed his prime and had suffered injuries.

Sabonis in his prime with that portland team of drexler, porter, williams and robinson would have won at least a couple of championships I believe.

He passed, shot the 3, and had a very good post game

I lived in Portland throughout the 90s and early 00s. Loved watching Sabonis. You guys are getting me all nostalgic!
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2015, 02:41:07 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
For those who don't realize. Arvydas Sabonis was 7"3 and a LEAN 300 lbs. He destroyed David Robinson and Team USA in the Olympics. By the time he got to the NBA, his back and knees were shot having played professionally for 13 years already. He found it difficult to play 20+ minutes and never played a full season. On his one "healthy" season at age 33 he posted 16 pts/10 rebs / 3 ast and 1 block at 30 MPG.

He had a smooth shooting stroke and was 75% or better for the FT line for his entire career. He was a true center, setting up the offense with picks and passing from the FT line.

There is not one center in the league today who possesses half his basketball skill.

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2015, 03:52:03 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
For what it's worth Jonathon Wasserman had a pretty good write up on him in his top 50 big board article...

You won't find many big men as active as Domantas Sabonis, who has consistently made plays around the hoop whenever he's been on the floor.

Per 40 minutes, he averages 17.8 points and 13.1 rebounds.

Though not a particularly skilled post scorer, Sabonis finishes everything that comes his way, whether it's off an entry pass to the low block or a dump down from a driving guard.

His athleticism, motor and instincts ultimately translate to routine easy buckets. Rarely ever taking a shot he can't make, Sabonis is shooting a whopping 67.5 percent.

He has his limitations on both sides of the ball (only 11 blocks, 17 steals all seasons), but Sabonis' energy and activity in the paint could hold value to a frontcourt that needs a jolt.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2409623-2015-nba-draft-jonathan-wassermans-top-50-prospect-big-board/page/24

Those block and steal totals are alarming to say the least but the high field goal % suggests that he possesses some of his father's coordination. Ya wish he could take whatever turned Marc Gasol from pudgy little brother into a juggernaut.

PS Tangent: Never liked using per 40 stats. Per 36 is one thing but it's nearly impossible to average 40 minutes a game in an 82 game season. Might as well keep going, do you know he's averaging 89 and 66 per 200 minutes?

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2015, 06:40:15 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
For those who don't realize. Arvydas Sabonis was 7"3 and a LEAN 300 lbs. He destroyed David Robinson and Team USA in the Olympics. By the time he got to the NBA, his back and knees were shot having played professionally for 13 years already. He found it difficult to play 20+ minutes and never played a full season. On his one "healthy" season at age 33 he posted 16 pts/10 rebs / 3 ast and 1 block at 30 MPG.

He had a smooth shooting stroke and was 75% or better for the FT line for his entire career. He was a true center, setting up the offense with picks and passing from the FT line.

There is not one center in the league today who possesses half his basketball skill.

Not only his back and the knees ... he also suffered an  achille`s tendon injury. Remind you this is mid 80s. Even a torn meniscus was a very big deal!

IMO Sabonis is one of the greatest "what if"...

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2015, 06:47:11 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens

Not only his back and the knees ... he also suffered an  achille`s tendon injury. Remind you this is mid 80s. Even a torn meniscus was a very big deal!

IMO Sabonis is one of the greatest "what if"...

TP

Looking at the young Sabonis bouncing up and down and blocking shots compared to the broken down version who relied on Skill alone in his final Portland days, you have to wonder. Its like the Drazen Petrovic what if...

BTW, looking back at his stats, he actually shot 90% FT in one of his seasons in the NBA. Show me one big man who can crack 80% now...

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2015, 09:19:59 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
18 year old healthy Domantas isn't even a third of the player his broken down 30 year old father was.

People are trying to imagine Arvydas. They need to imagine Domontas Moteijunas if he didn't have a good outside shot. And not the bulked up Donatas that plays pretty good interior defense today. More like when he first came into the league.

He's not bad. He's just not a college star or anything.  He's good, but not in the way people expect.

Arvydas didn't want him to come to America. He has been strict with his kids and is very serious minded. I think Domantas wanted to come here to experience a different kind of team environment.

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2015, 10:44:48 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
18 year old healthy Domantas isn't even a third of the player his broken down 30 year old father was.

People are trying to imagine Arvydas. They need to imagine Domontas Moteijunas if he didn't have a good outside shot. And not the bulked up Donatas that plays pretty good interior defense today. More like when he first came into the league.

He's not bad. He's just not a college star or anything.  He's good, but not in the way people expect.

Arvydas didn't want him to come to America. He has been strict with his kids and is very serious minded. I think Domantas wanted to come here to experience a different kind of team environment.

To be fair, the OP is only asking whether to spend the Clipper's pick - which will be no higher than about #26 - on him.

I don't think anyone on this thread has asserted he will be a star.   He does look like someone to at least consider with a late first / early second round pick.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2015, 10:49:13 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

To be fair, the OP is only asking whether to spend the Clipper's pick - which will be no higher than about #26 - on him.

I don't think anyone on this thread has asserted he will be a star.   He does look like someone to at least consider with a late first / early second round pick.
True. I agree with that. I just don't think he's coming out this year, but picking him late and sticking him in the D League for a year could be very valid.

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2015, 11:08:19 AM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1668
I also think Danny should use one of our many second round picks on Dino Radja's son. He's smoking it up overseas.

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2015, 11:24:47 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Using fathers to predict a son's basketball prowess is silly.   How did that work out for Jordan's sons in the NBA?   

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2015, 02:07:12 PM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
Using fathers to predict a son's basketball prowess is silly.   How did that work out for Jordan's sons in the NBA?

Dell Curry's kid turned out alright (;