Author Topic: Trey Lyles and Dakari Johnson  (Read 7876 times)

Re: Trey Lyles and Dakari Johnson
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 01:52:41 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Dakari strikes me as a good value play. Maybe the next Nazy Mohammad?

Interesting comparison.

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 02:09:12 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Bradley is a good shooter Winslow shoots 40% from 3 and from what I've seen he passes the eye test on his shot too. Smart isn't a good shooter but is it that crazy to think he could get to am above average level shooter? I don't think so.

My issue with that grouping would be that none of them do a great job getting to the hoop.

Regardless even if Winslows shot doesn't translate and smart stays a 34% shooter, we would still have james young and Isaiah thomas coming off the bench. Those guys more than make up for any lack of shooting and scoring. Even if young doesn't turn into the offensive force I'm expect him too, I think we'd still be OK for offense.

For the record assuming we don't win the lotto Winslow is my number 1 choice for the draft if I'm Danny I'm willing to move a lot to go up In the draft and get him. I think he will be a better jimmy butler.

It only makes sense after having the Truth on our team
that we'd get Justice too.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 07:10:58 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
True or false , these two would start pretty much for any other Division 1 teams?

They been a good frontcourt pair.  At times better than Towns and WCS.  No wonder Kentucky is unbeaten

Danny could very well pick both on draft night.  Have them play as a pair also

Thoughts

Have you watched Kentucky? Lyles has been starting for awhile. He is good, if he was on another team he would be getting a lot more draft hype. I would be thrilled if the C's got him. I  not a fan of Johnson...

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 08:54:22 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
True for sure!

These are both first round prospects, and I would be happy picking them at 15 and 26.

Johnson reminds me of Perkins. And Lyles is a talented scorer.

+1, I was going go say Perkins, earlier days
by "perkins, earlier days" do you mean perk's first 2 years when he averaged 2.4 points and 2.7 rebounds a game? or do you mean his "prime years" of 9.8 and 7.9. what a halcyon time (2 years!) that was, hey?

i liked perk very much. but perk has always been a role player and looked good because he was never asked to score and filled specific need for a specific team. he was a wide body needed to eat up space under the basket and show muscle, and little else since all stars surrounded him.

if johnson is perk, then i am not excited. this team can do better than that.

Ditto.  However, from the very little I've seen of him, lol ;D, Johnson is already a million times better than Perk was in his 'prime,' if he had one ;D, at the age of 19.  Not only is he taller at 7'0", but he can use both hands on the block, has a drop step, and, this is the big one if you're comparing him to Perk, HE KEEPS THE BALL HIGH WHEN HE GETS AN OFFENSIVE REBOUND. :o I know, it was almost too much for me, too, lol (sarcasm). ;) ;D Also, his wingspan is only slightly larger than his height, but he is more mobile than Perk ever was, even though that's not exactly saying much, lol. ;D

Good points. Otherwise similar to perk in terms of strength, toughness and doesnt make too many mistakes. Sticks to his strengths

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 12:06:32 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
True for sure!

These are both first round prospects, and I would be happy picking them at 15 and 26.

Last BR mock draft had Lyles going one before us and us picking Looney. Don't know much about Looney or Lyles, but from what I've heard about Johnson I'd like him if we can get him with the Clips pick.

EDIT: Actually he went a couple picks earlier than that, and I don't think they even had Johnson in the 1st round.
Looney has very little game. He's projected that high because he's extremely athletic and has great length. If we draft him, the Celtics will need to be very patient with him.

Dakari Johnson looks like he lost some weight from last year but he's kind of slow moving side to side. He does run the length of the court well when he's able to run out but he lacks short burst lateral quickness. He does use his size well and tends to get position down low.

Lyles would be an legitimate option with the 15th pick. He still needs work with the ball but he's got a lot more game then Looney. I do question Lyles toughness. He appears soft at times.

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2015, 12:23:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
True for sure!

Last BR mock draft had Lyles going one before us and us picking Looney. Don't know much about Looney or Lyles, but from what I've heard about Johnson I'd like him if we can get him with the Clips pick.

EDIT: Actually he went a couple picks earlier than that, and I don't think they even had Johnson in the 1st round.
Looney has very little game. He's projected that high because he's extremely athletic and has great length. If we draft him, the Celtics will need to be very patient with him.

Dakari Johnson looks like he lost some weight from last year but he's kind of slow moving side to side. He does run the length of the court well when he's able to run out but he lacks short burst lateral quickness. He does use his size well and tends to get position down low.

Lyles would be an legitimate option with the 15th pick. He still needs work with the ball but he's got a lot more game then Looney. I do question Lyles toughness. He appears soft at times.

That is why Lyles and Johnson has worked

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2015, 09:26:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Just want to see again peoples thoughts if we drafted these two with our 1st round picks.

They know each others habits very well coming off the bench as the 2nd pair frontcourt unit for Kentucky this past season. Kentucky was so tough bc if Towns/WCS were having off games, Lyles and Johnson who would be starters for many others schools can come in and give you a different look.  Or when Towns and WCS need to take a rest plug in these two and just keep pouring on the pressure

Celtics might lose/not bring back Bass or Jerbko , or both.  Things could be dependent on how the draft turns out and if we draft these two guys, there won't be a point to bring back Bass or Jerebko.   

16- Lyles
28 or 33 - Johnson
28-33 - draft best available SG/PG
45 - draft and stash

Lineup after draft
C -  Zeller
PF - Sullinger (slimmer version)
SF - ?  (hoping not Turner)
SG - AB
PG - Smart

Bench
C- Johnson/KO
PF - KO/Lyles
SF - Crowder/Lyles
SG - Young/draft pick
PG - IT/Pressey

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2015, 09:39:49 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I like Lyles, Portis, or Dekker at 16 but I'm hoping for one big free agency strike, and to move up in the draft with a package of picks / players and come back with most of the core playoff guys.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2015, 09:50:24 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I really like Lyles' post game and passing ability, and it looks like he spent most of the year guarding 3s, so those are all big pluses, imo.  He'll be taken before 16, though.  I like Dakari, too, but I wouldn't take him at 28.  Will he even get drafted, because I can see him being taken in the second round.  Even though I'm not big on Upshaw because of his issues, I think I'd gamble with him at 28, unless of course he's taken by the Lakers.  If that happens, and Harvey is somehow still there, I'd take him at 28.  Coming out of a draft with Lyles, Harvey, Upshaw, and Dakari Johnson/one of the Harrisons/Ryan Boatright would be quite the haul.  Who knows if Dakari or Boatright will even be taken.  If that happens, we must sign them after the draft.

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2015, 10:29:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I really like Lyles' post game and passing ability, and it looks like he spent most of the year guarding 3s, so those are all big pluses, imo.  He'll be taken before 16, though.  I like Dakari, too, but I wouldn't take him at 28.  Will he even get drafted, because I can see him being taken in the second round.  Even though I'm not big on Upshaw because of his issues, I think I'd gamble with him at 28, unless of course he's taken by the Lakers.  If that happens, and Harvey is somehow still there, I'd take him at 28.  Coming out of a draft with Lyles, Harvey, Upshaw, and Dakari Johnson/one of the Harrisons/Ryan Boatright would be quite the haul.  Who knows if Dakari or Boatright will even be taken.  If that happens, we must sign them after the draft.

I think Upshaw is a longshot.  Getting kicked out of 2 schools is bad news.   If we do draft him, I want to include a clause that if he gets caught with any illegal substances that his contract is nullified .  Some have said this guy is the next Andre Drummond. Will do even better in the NBA.  It's tempting for sure to take a risk on him

Lyles
Upshaw or Johnson
Harvey
Timothe Luwawu or De Paula

That would be a nice draft result imo. I also would like to somehow get RHJ.

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 11:27:51 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

I think Upshaw is a longshot.  Getting kicked out of 2 schools is bad news.   If we do draft him, I want to include a clause that if he gets caught with any illegal substances that his contract is nullified .  Some have said this guy is the next Andre Drummond. Will do even better in the NBA.  It's tempting for sure to take a risk on him

Lyles
Upshaw or Johnson
Harvey

I completely agree, and selecting him would be more of a reluctant move considering his history, but I'm slowly warming up to the idea of taking the guy.  We've got to roll the dice, imo, especially on a dude like him after we failed to get Whiteside.  I just anticipate someone taking him before 28 or 33.  Maybe he'll be a bust, maybe he won't be, but you never know.  If he's there at 33 you practically have to take him, anyway, imo, unless of course we don't take Harvey at 28. 

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2015, 02:23:23 PM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911

Lyles
Upshaw or Johnson
Harvey

I completely agree, and selecting him would be more of a reluctant move considering his history, but I'm slowly warming up to the idea of taking the guy.  We've got to roll the dice, imo, especially on a dude like him after we failed to get Whiteside.  I just anticipate someone taking him before 28 or 33.  Maybe he'll be a bust, maybe he won't be, but you never know.  If he's there at 33 you practically have to take him, anyway, imo, unless of course we don't take Harvey at 28.

Totally true about rolling the dice.  #28 is unlikely to be anything more than a role player, anyway, and we certainly have enough of those.  Might as well shoot for the stars.  I'm also nervous, however, that too many people are starting to think this way.  A month ago, I would have been sure that we could get him with our first pick in the second round.  Now, we would have to take him at #28.

Mike

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2015, 02:38:30 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Im a huge UK fan and I say do not pick Dakari Johnson!! He cant jump and has bad footwork and hands..u thought Fab Melo was bad, u have not seen nothing yet..trust me on this one folks
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2015, 02:40:02 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I like Trey Lyles..reminds me of Shane Battier..should stayed another year though
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2015, 02:40:08 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
True or false , these two would start pretty much for any other Division 1 teams?

They been a good frontcourt pair.  At times better than Towns and WCS.  No wonder Kentucky is unbeaten

Danny could very well pick both on draft night.  Have them play as a pair also

Thoughts

Both would have started on any team in the NCAA aside from Duke (lyles would not Darkari) and Wisconsin.

I like both in this draft. Lyles at #16 and Dakari at any of the latter 3 picks.

Lyles was forces to play out of position at the SF for much of his season with UK. I think his game will take some time to develop but ultimately transitions nicely to the NBA. Coming out of high school he was known as a great post scorer but couldn't really show this side of his game at UK. While not an elite athlete he is long and athletic. His physical profile play O and D is superior to Sully or KOs.

Darkari has a big frame but isn't super long. He is about the same size and length as Zeller but I expect him to add bulk while in the NBA and ultimately play around 270lbs. He is a throw back big man with a solid back to the basket game. On the right team he could really thrive on the wrong team he will struggle. He would be a great option backing up a true post center like Big AL or Hibbert early in his career. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet