Author Topic: Walton Dishes on the C's, and Other Stuff, To a Reddit AMA  (Read 2482 times)

Walton Dishes on the C's, and Other Stuff, To a Reddit AMA
« on: March 27, 2015, 10:48:39 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'm a big Bill Walton fan, so this was a treat to read. I hope some of you feel similarly.

Pertinent quotes here:
Any time you are on a Championship Team - those guys are your best friends for life. The greatest player I ever played against, by far, is Kareem. The greatest player I ever played with was Larry Bird. The greatest teammate was Maurice Lucas.The most dynamic, vibrant, exhilarating player I played against was Dr. J. The greatest venues were wherever the greatest teams were, or where the Grateful Dead were playing the night before or the next after

I'm a Team guy, I always have been a Team guy, and I learned that from the culture I grew up in that came from my parents, coaches, teachers, heroes and role models - particularly Bill Russell. I played to win. I am uncomfortable in a world of individual agendas. I am a team guy that is uncomfortable with the indvidulization of our lives because that minimizes and trivializes everyone's individual contributions. No one makes it to the top of the mountain alone. Refer back to Oscarveli's question about how I feel about ranking or rating.

I did not call Michael Jordan average, I said Michael Jordan is average size, strength, speed, and jumping ability. The top 7 players of the history of basketball in chronological order are Bill Russell, Wilt, Oscar, Kareem, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, and Michael Jordan.

The greatest moment of my basketball career was when I beat Kevin McHale 1 on 1 in front of the entire Celtic family in June of 1986.

Pertinent link here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/30e0de/i_am_bill_walton_nba_hall_of_famer_sportscaster/

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Re: Walton Dishes on the C's, and Other Stuff, To a Reddit AMA
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 11:46:54 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I love Walton too but he can be a little bit out there.  For his size Jordan had incredible strength, speed, and jumping ability.  If he is comparing his speed to Ricky Green and his strength to Wilt then he has a point.

Re: Walton Dishes on the C's, and Other Stuff, To a Reddit AMA
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 12:41:31 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I love Walton too but he can be a little bit out there.  For his size Jordan had incredible strength, speed, and jumping ability.  If he is comparing his speed to Ricky Green and his strength to Wilt then he has a point.
I kind of read it like he was saying Jordan's attributes all fell right in the middle of the basketball spectrum of athletes. As in wasn't tallest NBA player wasn't smallest just the right at the average. Wasn't weak or a brute he fell right in the middle. And so on...

I think Walton was giving the explanation of why Jordan can be considered one of greatest all time. He had a decent amount of everything physically. Perfect build a player mold.