Author Topic: young and a first-that might get us something  (Read 5558 times)

Re: young and a first-that might get us something
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2015, 03:15:59 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
He's almost as young as (and younger than) many of the players projected to go in the lottery this year.

He's the same age as Porzingis and Poeltl. Younger than Hezonja, Kaminsky, WCS, Dunn, Portis, etc.

Only 4 months older than Okafor. 3 months older than Towns. 6-7 months older than Russell, Winslow, Mudiay, Turner etc.

So, let's ponder what things would look like if he'd stayed in the NCAA. Assuming even a small amount of improvement there's a good chance he'd be the leading scorer on the #1 team in the country.

And because of his youth he'd still have as much room for improvement as anyone else in the draft this year.

Where would he be projected in the 2015 draft?

assuming modest improvement, he'd probably go 13-17 in this year's draft

No way. Young would have likely been the top scorer on this year's undefeated Kentucky team. He would have been top 7 at worst in this draft.

I have no idea what Young will end up being, but he probably would have been a 16-18 PPG scorer (leading) on the number 1 team in the country. Even if everyone recognized that they were the best team in the country because of the WCS/Towns defensive front court, Young would have gotten a ton of recognition for being the lead dog on offense.

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2015, 03:19:07 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Who knows where he would have been drafted in this year's draft, and who cares.  He is a project, and we need to give him a couple more years to show us something before he becomes trade fodder.

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2015, 03:23:56 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
Who knows where he would have been drafted in this year's draft, and who cares.  He is a project, and we need to give him a couple more years to show us something before he becomes trade fodder.

Well that's exactly why there is a benefit in wondering where he would have been drafted this year. If you think Young would have been one of the top picks in this year's draft, it makes it that much easier to understand why he shouldn't thrown out there as trade fodder. It gives us a better understanding of what his potential is considering he hasn't had consistent court time this season.

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2015, 03:30:32 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
If it helps us move up in the draft, I would do it. There's a lot of solid talent with the first 6 picks this year. And then after the 10th to 12th pick, there seems to be a huge drop off.

The 15th pick and later range looks extremely weak.

If we had to package Young and the 2017 Nets pick with this years pick, I would do it for WCS or similar talent.

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2015, 03:39:26 PM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76
I'm only moving Young and a 1st if it nets us a top 5 pick.

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2015, 03:44:49 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
devon booker has a stroke and is 6-6 and was killin it but went into slump-another year of adulation at kentucky for young  think he was better off learning the hard reality now-red claws is perfect for him to learn d and develope some moves-and dribbling skills-

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2015, 03:47:32 PM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
or any combination with young, never seeing him in practice or going against team mates-just d league--i feel he is a luxury and is a great chip that puts a deal over the top---

You see him in practice....?

He's young...literally. Give him time. No point in turning away someone who can turn into a contributor if his salary is low for 1-4 years.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2015, 03:51:17 PM »

Offline Mass_1081

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
Young's value is at its worst right now, you have to hold him and hope he developed over the season. It's very difficult to sit on the bench wondering if your going to get playing time, he's prob a little messed up confidence wise also. The clippers pick has more value than Young if you want to move up a couple spots.

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2015, 04:37:31 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Young's value is at its worst right now, you have to hold him and hope he developed over the season. It's very difficult to sit on the bench wondering if your going to get playing time, he's prob a little messed up confidence wise also. The clippers pick has more value than Young if you want to move up a couple spots.
No way that Clippers pick is even a third of the value that James Young is.

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2015, 04:40:39 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think it is more likely we deal Sully than Young, especially if he has not made progress.

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2015, 05:10:49 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I think it is more likely we deal Sully than Young, especially if he has not made progress.

I doubt we could get a decent second rounder for Sully right now. He fell in the draft due to injury concerns and has had two season-ending injuries in his first three years.

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2015, 05:11:22 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Unless we are close to banner 18, I don't see Danny including Young in a trade.
That's the king of move that most GM do and I think it's bad. Impatience leads you nowhere and you lose value in your roster. Exactly the opposite of what Danny is trying to do.
I like Danny's plan. It reminds me of chess. He's accumulating value with each move, taking little advantages at a time. And when the days come, he will be able to sacrifice pieces to put his team in a winning situation.

Didn't we trade Joe Johnson in a similar scenario? That sure didn't work out for us.

Exactly my point.
By trading young, you might lose a potential player like Johnson, with average return.
On the other hand, we traded big Al because we knew the return will be great.
Basically, don't trade unknown value for average value.

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2015, 05:18:12 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I would throw them both in the deal if we can get a top 6 pick. I think this might be the draft where you see the picks from 4-7 being the better picks then the top of the board.

The three guys I would want are WCS, Russell or Stanley Johnson.

Russell seems to have the most game. I can see this guy transitioning straight into a solid NBA player his rookie year.

Stanley Johnson impressed me the other day. He's got great poise with the ball. Never seems to rush and always seems to be under control. Kind of reminds me of Wade.

And WCS is just a freak of an athlete. I think Stevens will have to use his ability to get the most out of WCS cause I'm not sure he has much game. But he's done a nice job fitting in with other stars at Kentucky and I can see him being what Stevens needs him to be.

I think Ainge should put those Nets picks into play for this draft. And hopefully we miss the playoffs so we have a better chance at moving up.