Author Topic: Bob Cousy thinks we should go all in on Hassan "Bill Russell" Whiteside  (Read 25168 times)

Re: Bob Cousy thinks we should go all in on Hassan "Bill Russell" Whiteside
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2015, 07:51:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
But is that Bill Russell impact, if it isn't, it's pretty darn close.

Bill Russell is the best defensive player of all-time.  In his last 15 years of organized basketball, he won 2 college championships, 11 NBA titles, and a gold medal.  The Heat are 16-25 when Whiteside plays.  That's the opposite of a Bill Russell impact.

C'mon Roy. Of course no one compares to Rus.

I'm merely stating that Whiteside is a force on the defensive end, ala Russell on defense. His impact is close to Russell in a sense that he'll block a lot of shots and he'll control the boards and be imposing in the paint. Of course he's not going to have Bill Russell's impact overall, he's not the leader nor does he have the mentality to be Russell. But defensively, you gotta at least take the numbers for what it is, he's a great defensive player and he can make a tremendous impact on defense, just like #6... On defense.

Well, first, I'm not the one who said that Whiteside was having a impact "pretty darn close" to Russell's. ;)

I think his defensive impact is overrated, though.  In his most frequent lineup with Miami, they're giving up 108 points per 100 possessions.  That's very poor.  In five of his top eight lineups, the Heat give up 106+ points per 100 possessions, with them giving up 123 points per 100 possessions in three of the top eight lineups (horrifically bad). 

His overall defensive rating is 106.2.  Coincidentally, that matches Miami's overall defensive rating, that ranks 20th in the NBA.

His Defensive Real Plus Minus has been falling like a brick lately, and is wedged between Timofey Mozgov and Zaza Pachulia.  His FG% allowed at the rim is 12th among the top-22 guys in FGAs at the rim per game.

By the numbers, Whiteside isn't a great defender.   Rather, he blocks a lot of shots, which isn't the same as great defense.  (For an example of a guy who is a great defender, look at Rudy Gobert's numbers.  He holds opponent's to 39.5% shooting at the rim.  Nobody else in the top-50 in terms of FGAs faced is sub-40%.)

You can cite all of these mumbo jumbo stats all you want, but the bottom line is that he's a great defender.  I mean, look who he's playing with most nights.  What's next - a formula for intimidation? ::) This is the same argument that people use when comparing Giannis to Nolynyk - "well, he has a better defensive rating than the Greek Freak," and all I can do is roll my eyes, quite honestly.  GA is an athletic wing who can defend 2-4 of the toughest positions in basketball, who is also a better rebounder and shot blocker than a 7 footer who looks like he's running in molasses up a hill in January, but sure, let's let a computer and fancy analytics persuade us that a gifted athlete like Giannis is somehow the defensive equivalent of Nolynyk. ::)

At some point, you have to realize that numbers never tell the whole story.  All of this is simply paralysis by over analysis.  Watch him play and then look at the normal stats, and tell us what you think.  Does he pass your eye test, because he certainly passed mine a long time ago.  I know that this is practically a yearbook quote, lol, but Whiteside is like a more athletic, quicker and faster version of Andrew Bynum without knee problems who actually cares, ahaha. ;D

The "eye test" told us that Sean Williams was a great defender, too, despite him giving up a ton of easy buckets because he was out of position going for blocks.

I'll trust what the stats say, since they all seem to be in agreement.  Whiteside blocks a lot of shots.  That's the only thing he has in common with Russell, who was a transcendent defender

Btw, the last time I checked, blocking shots IS great defense, never mind his tremendous ability to rebound at both ends.  Seriously, man, how can you say that blocking shots isn't good defense?  That doesn't even make any sense.

Candidly,there's probably very little chance of me getting through to you on this point, but I'll try, using some extreme examples:

Player A faces 10 interior shots.  He blocks four shots, and gives up six baskets.

Player B faces 10 interior shots.  He blocks one shot, and gives up two baskets.

Player A blocked 4 times the number of shots that Player B did.  Is he a better defender?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2015, 08:10:24 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Bill Russell is the best defensive player of all-time.  In his last 15 years of organized basketball, he won 2 college championships, 11 NBA titles, and a gold medal.  The Heat are 16-25 when Whiteside plays.  That's the opposite of a Bill Russell impact.

I'm merely stating that Whiteside is a force on the defensive end, ala Russell on defense. His impact is close to Russell in a sense that he'll block a lot of shots and he'll control the boards and be imposing in the paint. Of course he's not going to have Bill Russell's impact overall, he's not the leader nor does he have the mentality to be Russell. But defensively, you gotta at least take the numbers for what it is, he's a great defensive player and he can make a tremendous impact on defense, just like #6... On defense.

Well, first, I'm not the one who said that Whiteside was having a impact "pretty darn close" to Russell's. ;)

I think his defensive impact is overrated, though.  In his most frequent lineup with Miami, they're giving up 108 points per 100 possessions.  That's very poor.  In five of his top eight lineups, the Heat give up 106+ points per 100 possessions, with them giving up 123 points per 100 possessions in three of the top eight lineups (horrifically bad). 

His overall defensive rating is 106.2.  Coincidentally, that matches Miami's overall defensive rating, that ranks 20th in the NBA.

His Defensive Real Plus Minus has been falling like a brick lately, and is wedged between Timofey Mozgov and Zaza Pachulia.  His FG% allowed at the rim is 12th among the top-22 guys in FGAs at the rim per game.

By the numbers, Whiteside isn't a great defender.   Rather, he blocks a lot of shots, which isn't the same as great defense.  (For an example of a guy who is a great defender, look at Rudy Gobert's numbers.  He holds opponent's to 39.5% shooting at the rim.  Nobody else in the top-50 in terms of FGAs faced is sub-40%.)

You can cite all of these mumbo jumbo stats all you want, but the bottom line is that he's a great defender.  I mean, look who he's playing with most nights.  What's next - a formula for intimidation? ::) This is the same argument that people use when comparing Giannis to Nolynyk - "well, he has a better defensive rating than the Greek Freak," and all I can do is roll my eyes, quite honestly.  GA is an athletic wing who can defend 2-4 of the toughest positions in basketball, who is also a better rebounder and shot blocker than a 7 footer who looks like he's running in molasses up a hill in January, but sure, let's let a computer and fancy analytics persuade us that a gifted athlete like Giannis is somehow the defensive equivalent of Nolynyk. ::)

At some point, you have to realize that numbers never tell the whole story.  All of this is simply paralysis by over analysis.  Watch him play and then look at the normal stats, and tell us what you think.  Does he pass your eye test, because he certainly passed mine a long time ago.  I know that this is practically a yearbook quote, lol, but Whiteside is like a more athletic, quicker and faster version of Andrew Bynum without knee problems who actually cares, ahaha. ;D

Btw, the last time I checked, blocking shots IS great defense, never mind his tremendous ability to rebound at both ends.  Seriously, man, how can you say that blocking shots isn't good defense?  That doesn't even make any sense.

Whiteside cares? Because he's playing for a contract? Where has he been all this time? You mentioned Bynum and Whiteside is only 1 1/2 younger, so where exactly has he been that proves to you he cares?

Roy is right. Whiteside blocks shots, but he's not a great defender. He too often gets out of position looking for the block/stat. He also steals a lot rebounds from his teammates.

« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2015, 09:13:03 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

The "eye test" told us that Sean Williams was a great defender, too, despite him giving up a ton of easy buckets because he was out of position going for blocks.

I'll trust what the stats say, since they all seem to be in agreement.  Whiteside blocks a lot of shots.  That's the only thing he has in common with Russell, who was a transcendent defender

Candidly,there's probably very little chance of me getting through to you on this point, but I'll try, using some extreme examples:

Player A faces 10 interior shots.  He blocks four shots, and gives up six baskets.

Player B faces 10 interior shots.  He blocks one shot, and gives up two baskets.

Player A blocked 4 times the number of shots that Player B did.  Is he a better defender?

Sean Williams, much like Whiteside, was a beanpole when he played in the league, which prevented him from being able to guard 4s and 5s, so I get your point, but you should also factor that in, because Whiteside got in the weight room, filled out his frame, and now look what you have. 

Also, your examples are far too vague.  I get that you're saying that I'm an idiot, lol (which is pretty acurate, btw, haha), but how were those baskets scored, because if we're talking about Whiteside, say that he initially alters the shot, but because he has to help out on the penetration or something, for example, it also puts him out of position to rebound, so another guy could go get the miss and put it back in, and we've all seen that happen a million times to even the best of defenders, so your hypothetical situations aren't exactly as black and white as you think they are. 

Also, what if any of the players listed were in foul trouble?  Say that player A blocked the first four shots, but then, as has happened to Whiteside on occasion, picked up two quick fouls.  Now he can't be as aggressive defensively, the offense sees it, and he more or less half-challenges the shot attempts of the guys trying to score.  I understand that you're trying to tell me that player B is better than player A, but there are so many other variables to consider when forming such an analysis of a player.  That's all I'm saying. 

As for player B, yes, he only conceded two baskets while blocking one, but what about the other 7 attempts?  Were they automatic misses, or, like I illustrated before, did he have to rotate out somewhere and alter the shot, only to give up 7 offensive rebounds which, let's say, resulted in about 8 points.  That's another way that you're underrating Whiteside, btw, because not only does he block or alter a shot, he keeps it in play, taps it to himself, and then gives it to a teammate, while guys like Javale McGee prefer to play volleyball.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:57:34 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2015, 10:06:08 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Whiteside cares? Because he's playing for a contract? Where has he been all this time? You mentioned Bynum and Whiteside is only 1 1/2 younger, so where exactly has he been that proves to you he cares?

Roy is right. Whiteside blocks shots, but he's not a great defender. He too often gets out of position looking for the block/stat. He also steals a lot rebounds from his teammates.

One of the knocks on Bynum was that he was lazy, and from what I've seen of Whiteside, at least gives all of his effort when he's out there.  He also might have learned that that's what it takes to succeed, while Bynum never changed his demeanor or approach, iirc.  Btw, how exactly does a guy 'steal rebounds from his teammates' when he is literally head and shoulders above the rest of the guys out there?  I also think that he controls a lot more of his blocks than you're giving him credit for, but I'm probably wrong.  All I know is that he dominated the Bulls, who have the best frontline in the eastern conference, not only by blocking every shot that Pau threw up there ;D, but he also tipped those blocks to him and corralled the rebound against Gasol, which is no easy task, especially when you remember the 2010 finals, when Sheed would block his shot, but Pau would get the offensive rebound, etc.

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Dementia is a sad disease.  Hang in there, Cous.

Edit: in light of Cous' wife having had dementia, I agree this joke was in poor taste. I should have left it at "Cous' analysis has lost a step".  It's an absolutely ridiculous comparison.

lol that is cruel.

« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2015, 11:37:21 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Man, Beat LA just gave me an argument I can use when everyone goes to attack Whiteside in the DKC. Thanks.

And I agree. It's hard to call Whiteside "overrated" defensively when he's clearly not. His Defensive Real +/- maybe dropping, but he's still among the 11 best for his position. He still ahead of Roy Hibbert, Marcin Gortat, Marc Gasol, DeAndre Jordan, Omer Asik, Robin Lopez and Andre Drummond. Heck, he's way ahead than Bismack Biyombo, not the Biyombo belongs, it's just that I saw before that people would rather have him over Whiteside.

How can his defense be overrated when he's blocking shots a high rate and he's owning the boards?

Also, I don't get. Basketball-Reference says that Whiteside's Defensive Rating per 100 is 96. Isn't that, I don't know, very good?

BTW, Whiteside FG% (48.3) allowed in the rim, is BETTER than Anthony Davis', ( 48.8 ), DeAndre Jordan's ( 48.8 ), Marc Gasol (48.9), Marcin Gortat (49.3), Tyson Chandler (51.3), Al Horford (50.1), to name a few.

And while we're at it, reboudning wise, Hassan's contested rebounds per game is better than Jordan, Cousins, Gobert, Noah among others. So yeah, he's taking away rebounds, from other Centers.

Again, per basketball-reference, this is during this season, unless I'm misreading something (i'm fairly new to metrics) Whiteside is posting a 96 DTRG, 15 rebounds per 36, 26.2 Total Rebound percentage (ahead of everyone else), 4 blocks per 36, 9.4 Block Percentage (ahead of everyone else). I can't call that "overrated on defense". That's the kind of Center you pay $11-15 million per year if you find one.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Dementia is a sad disease.  Hang in there, Cous.

Edit: in light of Cous' wife having had dementia, I agree this joke was in poor taste. I should have left it at "Cous' analysis has lost a step".  It's an absolutely ridiculous comparison.
I was literally ready to type the same words when I saw your comment  ;D
My deep condolences to his friends and family.

« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2015, 12:06:12 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
No way.  Not even close Couz.  There will never be another Bill Russell.  And Whiteside couldn't hold his jock.

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2015, 01:28:27 AM »

Offline ViolentGhandi

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
WS is only 25 - thats pretty young for a gib to become a real impact kinda guy. He made his way into the league somehow after getting tossed around all over the world. You can come up with the argument that he some mental issues or whatever you call them but dispite that he keeped working to become the player he is now. You gotta give him that. Ok, if you throw away the stat sheet & just look at him play you end up awestruck -- he has the best body among the big man in the league and he moves so well - to me there can be no doubt that he has super star talent and if he gets to play with the right coach in the right team he will proof that in the next couple of years. The numbers he has put up during the season (gotta admit I havent checked him recently) were crazy good. If he gets marketet and shiped (I don't think there is a chance that MIA will let him go unless they don't have the means to fit his salery in) there will be a fight over him. I don't see many teams who would pass up the chance to sign him. You have to remember that this is basicly his rookie season even if it is not. So dispite his allready great performances you have to expect substancial impoofment. I saw him play and to me there is no chance that he will be a one season phenomena. MIA really got lucky there... I don't think they expectet to get half of what he brings for their money... nobody did...

in the end it didnt matter as he still somehow made it into the NBA. I'm glad he did... would be a huge waste if he had not. He will easily become better than Love - you may quote me on that. If he lifes up to his talent he will easily be better than Love. He is not the same type of player but when you think about a big man to sign he will be the in the top 2 which come ino your head in the next years. He and Davis are something else talent wise. He doesnt have to have a big contract to make me realize that but I guess once he got that as well some ppl will finally gt him in the right perspective.

« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2015, 11:52:38 AM »

Offline fandrew

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 25
I don't think we will get Whiteside. I would focus on the draft.

Try to get either Myles Turner or Dakari Johnson. Those have become my two favorites in the past few weeks. I am becoming a fan of both, so just get both and make it a competition. If they both look really good for us, either keep them both have Johnson at Center, Turner at PF, or trade one and keep the better fit for us at Center.

Also, I think the name Whiteside is stupid sounding. It's a dumb reason, but it's just too dramatic sounding-a-name for me. It really grinds my gears...
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care." - Peter Gibbons

« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2015, 11:58:52 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Whiteside is the figurative player that all youth coaches use as an example but hardly anyone can match: he puts his arms up, contests shots, rarely leaves the paint, and jumps as high as he can, trying to dunk everything, on offense. He also crashes the boards like a madman, an anomaly in the arguably too-grueling NBA season.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 12:04:01 PM by GetLucky »

« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2015, 12:16:36 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Russell was a supreme athlete...Witness:

http://youtu.be/j2AlFrOj5Mc

When you see Whiteside do anything like this, get back to us.
Those dudes on the other team looked so slow. And then Bobby Hurley got hurdled at the end.  :D

« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2015, 09:08:02 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Whiteside's slump continues.  He was -15 last night, bringing him to -56 over the last nine games he's played in.  He's also fallen outside of the top-60 in Real Plus Minus.  He's simply not making a positive impact on the court right now.

On January 26, opponents were only shooting 40.5% against Whiteside at the rim.  At that time, when asked what his goal was for the season, it was to "get my NBA2K rating up".  Today, his FG% allowed at the rim is 48.2%.  It stands to figure that over the last two months, Whiteside's FG% allowed at the rim is well over 50%.

The kid seems more about flashy blocks than fundamental defense.  The Heat would be smart to try to cash in his trade value in the off-season.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:16:59 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2015, 09:38:07 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Whiteside's slump continues.  He was -15 last night, bringing him to -56 over the last nine games he's played in.  He's also fallen outside of the top-60 in Real Plus Minus.  He's simply not making a positive impact on the court right now.

On January 26, opponents were only shooting 40.5% against Whiteside at the rim.  At that time, when asked what his goal was for the season, it was to "get my NBA2K rating up".  Today, his FG% allowed at the rim is 48.2%.  It stands to figure that over the last two months, Whiteside's FG% allowed at the rim is well over 50%.

The kid seems more about flashy blocks than fundamental defense.  The Heat would be smart to try to cash in his trade value in the off-season.
good bump roy, thanks and a tp. i have a quick question. is the "get my NBA2K rating up" a real quote from whiteside about his goals?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2015, 09:43:18 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

good bump roy, thanks and a tp. i have a quick question. is the "get my NBA2K rating up" a real quote from whiteside about his goals?

It is.  I saw it on a Heat site, and then saw a Vine of a it.  That said, I don't know if there was more to the quote in context.