Author Topic: Bob Cousy thinks we should go all in on Hassan "Bill Russell" Whiteside  (Read 25228 times)

Re: Bob Cousy thinks we should go all in on Hassan "Bill Russell" Whiteside
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2015, 10:03:10 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
even if he is what cousy believes, that cheap shot on Kelly was not enough for me to care for him.

But Marcus' cheap shot in the San Antonio game is fine, right???

Just saying!!

Smitty77

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2015, 10:16:29 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
There is a big difference in value in some of our 1st round picks.

Our 3 worst 1st round picks would NEVER land us Whiteside.

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2015, 10:17:47 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
We could have signed him several times over the years. There's a reason we didn't, there's a reason why every NBA team didn't, and one season that lends more fuel to the misuse of advanced stats doesn't really move the needle one way or another for me.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2015, 10:18:59 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • 7 + 11 = 18
And Whiteside is definitely worth three first round picks.

no, just no.  1 late first maybe.  kid has had less than one year of decent ball.  production has dropped on offense once he was no longer a surprise for teams. 

Clips pick OR the 2 Philly seconds.  that's about it.
1 Late first ??

You think Miami would give up a player with ridiculous upside and already performing very, very well in the NBA for a late 1st round pick?

Seriously? Think about that.

We would consider ourselves insanely lucky if we landed a player as good as Whiteside in the late first round.

Look at this way: Do you think we would get a player as good as Whiteside with the clippers pick this year? Abo****ely not. Pretty much less then 5% chance of that happening, and thats a risk.

You would be asking Miami to take a risk, and we would be getting a sure thing. Would never, ever happen.

I implore everyone here to go look at Whiteside's stats, and his Per 36. I would GLADLY burn through 3 late first round picks to get a player his age and with his production and with his upside... .GLADLY!

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2015, 10:23:51 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • 7 + 11 = 18
We could have signed him several times over the years. There's a reason we didn't, there's a reason why every NBA team didn't, and one season that lends more fuel to the misuse of advanced stats doesn't really move the needle one way or another for me.

I think your letting the KO incident get to you, or you havent watched Whiteside enough. He is very very very talented.  Definitley better then anyone we'll be able to draft this summer.

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2015, 10:31:40 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • 7 + 11 = 18

Things change, players get a chance and get better.  To claim the needle hasnt moved on Whiteside is just straight up wrong.

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2015, 10:49:44 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Things change, players get a chance and get better.  To claim the needle hasnt moved on Whiteside is just straight up wrong.

Good thing that's not what I claimed, then.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2015, 12:03:41 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47

This true but no one thought he could be a dominate center like he has become. Miami gave him a shot and the risk = a high reward. His numbers all year are at an all star level. Yes he's a head case, but every team (knowing what they now now) would jump at the chance to sign him.

I say, try to sign him as a free agent. Not sure about the bird rights but he's going to make a ton of money somewhere.

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2015, 12:19:06 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Over the last 8 games, the Heat are -42 with Whiteside in the game.  He's averaging 11 points and 8.6 rebounds, along with 2.5 blocks.  He has also missed three games, one due to suspension.

To me, that's not a Bill Russell impact, and it's not worth three #1s.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2015, 12:23:32 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

This true but no one thought he could be a dominate center like he has become. Miami gave him a shot and the risk = a high reward. His numbers all year are at an all star level. Yes he's a head case, but every team (knowing what they now now) would jump at the chance to sign him.

I say, try to sign him as a free agent. Not sure about the bird rights but he's going to make a ton of money somewhere.

I hear that Jeremy Lin guy is worth a huge contract, too.

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2015, 12:49:40 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
And Whiteside is definitely worth three first round picks.

no, just no.  1 late first maybe.  kid has had less than one year of decent ball.  production has dropped on offense once he was no longer a surprise for teams. 

Clips pick OR the 2 Philly seconds.  that's about it.
1 Late first ??

You think Miami would give up a player with ridiculous upside and already performing very, very well in the NBA for a late 1st round pick?

Seriously? Think about that.

We would consider ourselves insanely lucky if we landed a player as good as Whiteside in the late first round.

Look at this way: Do you think we would get a player as good as Whiteside with the clippers pick this year? Abo****ely not. Pretty much less then 5% chance of that happening, and thats a risk.

You would be asking Miami to take a risk, and we would be getting a sure thing. Would never, ever happen.

I implore everyone here to go look at Whiteside's stats, and his Per 36. I would GLADLY burn through 3 late first round picks to get a player his age and with his production and with his upside... .GLADLY!
you're really the only one here beating the drum to drastically overpay for a guy called up from the D-League whose play has cooled a bit as other teams have learned about him. 

He's not a rookie taking the league by storm.  he's a guy that took years to develop his play to the point where now he's playing in the NBA.  good for him that he's playing well enough to get a bigger contract next year.  doesn't merit paying 3 first rounders for him nor would I trust a player not on a rookie contract with less than one good season under his belt to justify more than 1 first round pick in a draft.  let him play well for at least 2 full seasons to see just how good he is first.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:07:16 PM by slamtheking »

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2015, 01:27:27 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sometimes Cousy and Tommy have some hyperbole in their comparisons, nothing to get riled up over.

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2015, 01:40:46 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'd love to hear what Bill Russell himself honestly thinks of Whiteside. I mean, he is the most qualified of everyone to make that comparison after all. Too bad Russell never really comments on current NBA players.

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2015, 01:50:38 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I do not think trading 3 firsts for HW would be wise....also I believe that the Heat do NOT have his bird right and HW is free to sign anywhere after next year.
Everyone will bid on him and outbid Miami. Miami will not be able to match them so trading him would be wise for them.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2015, 01:52:21 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

I think your letting the KO incident get to you, or you havent watched Whiteside enough. He is very very very talented.  Definitley better then anyone we'll be able to draft this summer.
You really believe this?
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek