Author Topic: Bob Cousy thinks we should go all in on Hassan "Bill Russell" Whiteside  (Read 25172 times)

Re: Bob Cousy thinks we should go all in on Hassan "Bill Russell" Whiteside
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 11:52:08 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
No mention of Greg "Bill Russell" Steimsma?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Dementia is a sad disease.  Hang in there, Cous.

Kinda messed up, man. Agree he's probably a little off, and the comment is a bit silly...  but I see people with dementia very often. Not a pretty sight sometimes. I understand you were joking, and that's cool...  just saying...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 01:08:56 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
For drummond cousins davis.. i would go all in... not for whiteside

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 01:17:58 AM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73
How about attitude-wise?

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 05:35:23 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Cousey's comparison not mine, though admittedly I am a fan.

Like many older folks from up in the North East, Celtics Legend Bob Cousey leaves his home in Worcester to spend his winters down in sunny Florida. Naturally this has lead him catch many of The Heat games off the local broadcast. In a recent interview Cousey claims that Hassan Whiteside is somthing special and compares favorably to Bill Russell...

"I have never said this in the 40 years since I retired," Cousy said in a recent telephone interview, "but he is the first big guy, not (Patrick) Ewing, (Hakeem) Olajuwon, Shaq (O'Neal), who reminds me defensively and on the boards of Russell. He runs the floor well, he has excellent timing, he blocks shots and keeps them in play the way Russell did."

I've heard Wilt Chamberlain comps for Whiteside but for Cousey to also say Russel, is there something to the way Hassan Whiteside plays that hasn't been seen since the 60's? Bob Cousey seems to think so.

Cousy, 86, would love to see Whiteside in a Celtics uniform.

"If I were Danny (Ainge)," Cousy said, "I'd offer Miami three first-round picks for Whiteside because in my judgment, and what can you tell watching on television, but boy does that kid have an upside."

http://www.telegram.com/article/20150325/NEWS/303269899/1009/sports

So what do we think? Sell the farm for Hassan Whiteside and a chance at an all time great? If so how? 3 first round Picks in a sign and trade? Lure him in free agency? Stay away because he's an overrated bum who's going to fall back down to Earth? Whacha got?

Where?  That's a new one for me.

Sorry my source is a bit fuzzy it was either the BS Report or CBS Eye on Basketball with Zack Harper where someone starting reading off Whiteside's advanced stats and remarking how they were Wilt Essque at the time he was actually the only player to ever put up those kind of numbers in such few minutes, including Wilt. His body type and measurements (7'1 250 lbs with a 7'6 wingspan) are all world like Wilt's were.

I've been following the drafts closely for about 5 years now and I've never seen a player with thos measurements (7'1 with a 7'6 wingspan) fall out of the first round and almost immediately out of the league. He must have had some serious personality issues for so many teams to snub an elite athlete like Whiteside. 

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 06:39:53 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
even if he is what cousy believes, that cheap shot on Kelly was not enough for me to care for him.

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Dementia is a sad disease.  Hang in there, Cous.
roy you should reword this
it could mean you are joking Bob has dementia, you might not realize his wife did have it and passed away (last year?)

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 07:18:05 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
His comments aren't off base at all.

Whiteside has shown a crazy good ability to rebound and defend. 

Cous says that his defense and rebounding reminds him of Russell. Cous can make that comparison if he wants, he saw Russell play in person, most of us didn't.

And Whiteside is definitely worth three first round picks.

And I agree with others, Roys dementia comment seems out of character and tasteless.. Something koz would say but I expect better from Roy

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 07:28:33 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
even if he is what cousy believes, that cheap shot on Kelly was not enough for me to care for him.

I would take the guy even after the cheapshot but he does have some temper issues.   We 'd not be looking for a rim protector, sorry to the inconsistent Hippie, err I mean KO. JK

Enforcers are ok as long as they on your side.

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 07:53:33 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Cousy really doesn't watch much basketball anymore.  Even in his last years commentating for the Celtics he had no clue who players were- even many on the Celtics.

So if I happened to catch only that one game when Whiteside had that ridiculous amount of blocks, I might think he's the next Russell too.  But I don't think Cousy has caught many other of Whiteside's games.

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2015, 07:59:45 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
For drummond cousins davis.. i would go all in... not for whiteside

Agreed. This is the same idea of going all in for Bynum in hopes that missing the season in Philly and being healthy again would make him the next Shaq or Dwight.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 08:33:35 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
And Whiteside is definitely worth three first round picks.

no, just no.  1 late first maybe.  kid has had less than one year of decent ball.  production has dropped on offense once he was no longer a surprise for teams. 

Clips pick OR the 2 Philly seconds.  that's about it.

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 08:58:46 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I'd only give up two for Gobert and he's better. He's also younger, bigger, doesn't have character issues, and is cost controlled (only 2nd year of his rookie deal).

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2015, 09:08:47 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
If he's really sorry about Kelly, he should consider a discount.

Hair Canada doesn't like banging.

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2015, 09:49:11 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I do not think trading 3 firsts for HW would be wise....also I believe that the Heat do NOT have his bird right and HW is free to sign anywhere after next year.