Author Topic: Bob Cousy thinks we should go all in on Hassan "Bill Russell" Whiteside  (Read 25245 times)

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Cousey's comparison not mine, though admittedly I am a fan.

Like many older folks from up in the North East, Celtics Legend Bob Cousey leaves his home in Worcester to spend his winters down in sunny Florida. Naturally this has lead him catch many of The Heat games off the local broadcast. In a recent interview Cousey claims that Hassan Whiteside is somthing special and compares favorably to Bill Russell...

"I have never said this in the 40 years since I retired," Cousy said in a recent telephone interview, "but he is the first big guy, not (Patrick) Ewing, (Hakeem) Olajuwon, Shaq (O'Neal), who reminds me defensively and on the boards of Russell. He runs the floor well, he has excellent timing, he blocks shots and keeps them in play the way Russell did."

I've heard Wilt Chamberlain comps for Whiteside but for Cousey to also say Russel, is there something to the way Hassan Whiteside plays that hasn't been seen since the 60's? Bob Cousey seems to think so.

Cousy, 86, would love to see Whiteside in a Celtics uniform.

"If I were Danny (Ainge)," Cousy said, "I'd offer Miami three first-round picks for Whiteside because in my judgment, and what can you tell watching on television, but boy does that kid have an upside."

http://www.telegram.com/article/20150325/NEWS/303269899/1009/sports

So what do we think? Sell the farm for Hassan Whiteside and a chance at an all time great? If so how? 3 first round Picks in a sign and trade? Lure him in free agency? Stay away because he's an overrated bum who's going to fall back down to Earth? Whacha got?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:42:14 PM by Redz »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Dementia is a sad disease.  Hang in there, Cous.

Edit: in light of Cous' wife having had dementia, I agree this joke was in poor taste. I should have left it at "Cous' analysis has lost a step".  It's an absolutely ridiculous comparison.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:09:39 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
I think he was just exaggerating
White side is a good player but with less than a season of great play we can't compare him to Russell's level yet

I would try sign him but wouldn't trade 3 first rounders for him

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Russell was a supreme athlete...Witness:

http://youtu.be/j2AlFrOj5Mc

When you see Whiteside do anything like this, get back to us.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

I think Red was a similar age when he insisted we draft Forte, so yeah, there is a reason why Ainge is the GM. Cousy also lives in Florida and probably watches mainly Heat and Magic players more than any other teams nowadays.

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Russell was a supreme athlete...Witness:

http://youtu.be/j2AlFrOj5Mc

When you see Whiteside do anything like this, get back to us.

Hey, Whiteside may not be the athlete that Russell was, but he is athletic and does have pretty good to excellent speed.  I wouldn't trade for him now, though.  We had our chance and we blew it.  I do agree to some extent on Cousy's comparison when it comes to shot-blocking, however, as Whiteside keeps the vast majority of them in play.  I'd also be interested to hear what Cous thinks of Deandre Jordan. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 07:22:59 PM by Beat LA »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Cousey's comparison not mine, though admittedly I am a fan.

Like many older folks from up in the North East, Celtics Legend Bob Cousey leaves his home in Worcester to spend his winters down in sunny Florida. Naturally this has lead him catch many of The Heat games off the local broadcast. In a recent interview Cousey claims that Hassan Whiteside is somthing special and compares favorably to Bill Russell...

"I have never said this in the 40 years since I retired," Cousy said in a recent telephone interview, "but he is the first big guy, not (Patrick) Ewing, (Hakeem) Olajuwon, Shaq (O'Neal), who reminds me defensively and on the boards of Russell. He runs the floor well, he has excellent timing, he blocks shots and keeps them in play the way Russell did."

I've heard Wilt Chamberlain comps for Whiteside but for Cousey to also say Russel, is there something to the way Hassan Whiteside plays that hasn't been seen since the 60's? Bob Cousey seems to think so.

Cousy, 86, would love to see Whiteside in a Celtics uniform.

"If I were Danny (Ainge)," Cousy said, "I'd offer Miami three first-round picks for Whiteside because in my judgment, and what can you tell watching on television, but boy does that kid have an upside."

http://www.telegram.com/article/20150325/NEWS/303269899/1009/sports

So what do we think? Sell the farm for Hassan Whiteside and a chance at an all time great? If so how? 3 first round Picks in a sign and trade? Lure him in free agency? Stay away because he's an overrated bum who's going to fall back down to Earth? Whacha got?

Where?  That's a new one for me.

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Are you joking, or does Cousy really have dementia?

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I agree with trading three 1st rounders for Whiteside.

This years clippers, minny,and philly picks.  Miami says no.  Probably would want our better 1st rounders.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I agree with trading three 1st rounders for Whiteside.

This years clippers, minny,and philly picks.  Miami says no.  Probably would want our better 1st rounders.

I'd probably trade our 1st rounder this year plus the Clippers pick for him though.

Re: Bob Cousy thinks we should go all in on Hassan "Bill Russell" Whiteside
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 11:02:04 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
This got my attention only because Cousy through the years was never one to see the positives in a lot of players save for the home team.  In fact I think that was part of the reason they took him off the broadcasts.  He was too negative.

To hear him praise a guy like Whiteside...interesting.  Not that Miami's trading him because they're not.

Regarding the dementia comment, I know too many people suffering from that - at ages a lot younger than 86.  Hope it doesn't happen to someone close to you because it sucks for all involved.

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 11:04:03 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103

yeah i suspect cooz may have lost a little to say such a thing. reporters need to leave the man alone. its disrespectful.

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 11:24:21 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
This got my attention only because Cousy through the years was never one to see the positives in a lot of players save for the home team.  In fact I think that was part of the reason they took him off the broadcasts.  He was too negative.

To hear him praise a guy like Whiteside...interesting. Not that Miami's trading him because they're not.

Regarding the dementia comment, I know too many people suffering from that - at ages a lot younger than 86.  Hope it doesn't happen to someone close to you because it sucks for all involved.

Fixed, lol. ;D Anyway, the last time I heard Cousy comment on something, he said that he loved Rondo, and that we should keep him unless he's a serial killer or something, ahaha. ;D

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 11:29:41 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
unfortunately for Whiteside, his attitude problems will likely keep him from realizing his full potential.

At age 25, I hope he has kids or has the 'ah haaaa' moment and realizes what he's wasting- he's already had one of those clicking moments but he needs another one.
He's playing well and has been a huge addition for the Heat, but his mental problems and lack of focus/discipline are alarming. Could be Larry Sanders 2.0 although hopefully he sees the light.

I'd say he's got the potential to be a top 5 center if he had the attitude of Marcus Smart (exceptional work ethic, team player etc).

On a side note, does Bob Cousy really have dementia?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 11:46:06 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

On a side note, does Bob Cousy really have dementia?

While I don't agree with Cousy here, nor with the OP ABOUT "going all in" on Whiteside (as Beat LA has said, that ship has sailed for us), Cous has always been a man of honor who was a devoted husband to a wife who suffered dementia for 12 years.

Here's one story about it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2441171/NBA-legend-Bob-Cousy-let-dementia-suffering-wife-believe-healthy.html

Great man.