Author Topic: 7 or 8 seed or lottery?  (Read 1975 times)

Re: 7 or 8 seed or lottery?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 08:02:00 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Something must have gotten lost in the translation. I did not say to lose or tank on purpose what I said was this is a team of overachievers and when you are a young team nights like the Heat game do happen.  Also if the Celtics participate in the lottery we could could have the ping pong balls bounce our way and possibly move up to pick in the 5 to 10 range. My opinion is that we are better off to participate in the lottery than get swept or possibly win one game in the playoffs. Bottom line this Team is not talented enough. They are well coached, they play hard and are fun to watch BUT they are an unfinished product that is still in need of more talent. A 5 to 10 pick would be more valuable than a 15 or 16 pick whether we keep it or not.

And the ping pong balls could bounce in the wrong way too...life is crazy like that.

We have the opportunity to do both things actually.  If this team will forget the Miami game (or better yet, remember the things they should have done and not play that way again), we could make the playoffs.  This is a feel good moment for players and fans alike.  It would be visible progress from previous years.  How far could we go?  Who knows...but it sure would be fun to see.

...and then, the draft comes up.  We have a war chest of picks over the next five years to move anywhere on that draft board that we want.  So if there is a binkie that Ainge can't live without...he can make it happen one way or the other.

So, in conclusion, let the players suit up, while we root them up, and maybe Danny can scoot up the draft board to find a diamond in the rough to compliment this team.

Rak

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 08:58:20 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Something must have gotten lost in the translation. I did not say to lose or tank on purpose what I said was this is a team of overachievers and when you are a young team nights like the Heat game do happen.  Also if the Celtics participate in the lottery we could could have the ping pong balls bounce our way and possibly move up to pick in the 5 to 10 range. My opinion is that we are better off to participate in the lottery than get swept or possibly win one game in the playoffs. Bottom line this Team is not talented enough. They are well coached, they play hard and are fun to watch BUT they are an unfinished product that is still in need of more talent. A 5 to 10 pick would be more valuable than a 15 or 16 pick whether we keep it or not.

And the ping pong balls could bounce in the wrong way too...life is crazy like that.

We have the opportunity to do both things actually.  If this team will forget the Miami game (or better yet, remember the things they should have done and not play that way again), we could make the playoffs.  This is a feel good moment for players and fans alike.  It would be visible progress from previous years.  How far could we go?  Who knows...but it sure would be fun to see.

...and then, the draft comes up.  We have a war chest of picks over the next five years to move anywhere on that draft board that we want.  So if there is a binkie that Ainge can't live without...he can make it happen one way or the other.

So, in conclusion, let the players suit up, while we root them up, and maybe Danny can scoot up the draft board to find a diamond in the rough to compliment this team.

Rak
the ping pong balls will not give us a pick in the 5-10 range.  you can only move up into the top 3 if you're lucky.  after that, the teams pick in order of worst record.  you'd think someone that followed the team for 40 years would know that but what do I know, I've only followed them for 35 ;)

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 09:23:25 AM »

Offline bigskyceltic

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Sorry 6th pick if they finish with 9th worse record and dont make the playoffs.

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 09:24:01 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
I have read numerous posts regarding the disappointing performance of last nights Heat game and have one simple response. GET REAL!  I have been a Celtic fan for over 40 years and have rode the highs and lows as everyone else. If you think that this Celtic team is better off playing as a 7 or 8 seed you are crazy. Before Isiah Thomas arrived everyone was looking at the draft order and thinking top 5 to 10 pick. This team is fun to watch but is not a Championship caliber team. As far as experience for the young guys to get into the playoffs with a sub 500 record I say it is a better experience for this team to look back at performances like last night and realize that a lack of focus costs wins and maybe a opportunity to play in the playoffs. We are better off participating in the lottery and gathering another top 10 pick whether we keep the pick or package with other assets/picks for more pieces that fit into what Brad Stevens is doing. This team has over achieved. I cant wait to see what shakes out over the off-season.

TP.  I thought, "Man, that's a longgg time!" and then realized I have been following the team for 30 years.  Oy.  My hairline is shrinking, but my stomach is growing, so I consider it to be even.  We're not old, we're "experienced."

In any case, I've only been a season ticket holder for three years, but I'm really enjoying the ride as of late.  It's amazing how different these guys look since the trade deadline.  Having said that, however, I'm going to agree with the poster who said to shut down Thomas.  Not because I want to lose, but because I'm worried that the guy isn't 100%.  Last thing I want is to do some permanent damage to a 6th POY guy while chasing an 8-seed.

Mike