Author Topic: 7 or 8 seed or lottery?  (Read 1971 times)

7 or 8 seed or lottery?
« on: March 26, 2015, 07:20:54 PM »

Offline bigskyceltic

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
I have read numerous posts regarding the disappointing performance of last nights Heat game and have one simple response. GET REAL!  I have been a Celtic fan for over 40 years and have rode the highs and lows as everyone else. If you think that this Celtic team is better off playing as a 7 or 8 seed you are crazy. Before Isiah Thomas arrived everyone was looking at the draft order and thinking top 5 to 10 pick. This team is fun to watch but is not a Championship caliber team. As far as experience for the young guys to get into the playoffs with a sub 500 record I say it is a better experience for this team to look back at performances like last night and realize that a lack of focus costs wins and maybe a opportunity to play in the playoffs. We are better off participating in the lottery and gathering another top 10 pick whether we keep the pick or package with other assets/picks for more pieces that fit into what Brad Stevens is doing. This team has over achieved. I cant wait to see what shakes out over the off-season.

Re: 7 or 8 seed or lottery?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 07:29:24 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I am going to say something and I swear I mean it with only respect, but it will sound odd. 

Lots of times people come on this forum and are older like yourself.  Their posts start like this: "I've watched the Celtics for 40 years and I know there's some debate about tanking or going to the playoffs."  They always then go "The Celtics are a championship team and tanking is immoral and who is this clown Ainge?!  Our team should be going for broke at all times and we should have tied up our cap with free agents to go down in flames!  Celtics Pride!1!!!1!" 

Yours is the first post that started that way that was grounded in reality.  It is my pleasure to give you your first TP for your salient points and realistic take on the situation.  Our team just needs more talent.  Period

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 07:48:15 PM »

Offline bigskyceltic

• Xavier Tillman
Thank you for your comment. I dont post often but really do enjoy the comments on the site. [dang] I am getting old.

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 07:52:49 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Long story short: You are one of those pro-tankers!  ;)

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 08:01:02 PM »

Offline bigskyceltic

• Xavier Tillman
Not at all I hate to lose but sometimes being a realist works too. What is best for the future.  As the old adage goes we learn more from our mistakes than from our successes.This is a young team that is playing their hearts out most nights. More talent.

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 08:51:45 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Here is my preferences in order

1.)  8 seed, we gain playoff experience and would be better suited to go against Atlanta than Cleveland
2.)  Lottery
3.)  7 seed, we get experience but get beat up by Cleveland which might mess with us mentally if we face Cleveland in the next 2 years in the playoffs
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 08:56:52 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Just enjoy the ride?

Playoffs? Great.

Add a lottery pick? Great.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 09:28:32 PM »

Offline bigskyceltic

• Xavier Tillman
I agree with enjoying the ride but why all of the main page comments like Flop?  It wasnt flop it was athletes not ready to play. Maybe not all players but atleast the ones that were in the first rotation. This team has played so well lately that all of the sudden some of us expect us to win every night. On paper we should have won last night I agree. However how many teams that we beat in the last month are saying the same thing? Last nights game was a reality check for all Celtic Fans that we still have a long ways to go.

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 09:36:58 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Shut Thomas down and go for the lottery.

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 11:05:06 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I have read numerous posts regarding the disappointing performance of last nights Heat game and have one simple response. GET REAL!  I have been a Celtic fan for over 40 years and have rode the highs and lows as everyone else. If you think that this Celtic team is better off playing as a 7 or 8 seed you are crazy. Before Isiah Thomas arrived everyone was looking at the draft order and thinking top 5 to 10 pick. This team is fun to watch but is not a Championship caliber team. As far as experience for the young guys to get into the playoffs with a sub 500 record I say it is a better experience for this team to look back at performances like last night and realize that a lack of focus costs wins and maybe a opportunity to play in the playoffs. We are better off participating in the lottery and gathering another top 10 pick whether we keep the pick or package with other assets/picks for more pieces that fit into what Brad Stevens is doing. This team has over achieved. I cant wait to see what shakes out over the off-season.
make it two tps. that way the first one wont get lonely.  ;)

welcome.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 11:07:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Then I'm crazy.

Losing on purpose is the dumbest thing you can do. 

You make the playoffs, give the young bucks invaluable experience and worry about the draft later. Danny has enough picks to be able to move up. If not he has CBS and other scouts to make an excellent pick at 15-16
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:14:13 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 11:16:27 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Then I'm crazy.

You make the playoffs, give the young bucks invaluable experience and worry about the draft later. Danny has enough picks to be able to move up. If not he has CBS and other scouts to make excellent picks at 15-16

I tend to agree, especially at this point.

What are we to do purposefully try to lose games? That'll do more harm than good. I was on the tank train early in the season after we traded our best guys, but we've been playing really well since then and I'm not sure how you can be disappointed with that.

At this point, any attempt to tank would hurt more than it helps, because there's no proper way to do it now. If we would've sold off all of our vets and gave Smart, Thomas, Young, and all of our other young guys big minutes I would've been fine with that. But we sold off pretty much every vet we could and still were playing well. What else do you seriously expect us to do, sit people?

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 11:22:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Then I'm crazy.

You make the playoffs, give the young bucks invaluable experience and worry about the draft later. Danny has enough picks to be able to move up. If not he has CBS and other scouts to make excellent picks at 15-16

I tend to agree, especially at this point.

What are we to do purposefully try to lose games? That'll do more harm than good. I was on the tank train early in the season after we traded our best guys, but we've been playing really well since then and I'm not sure how you can be disappointed with that.

At this point, any attempt to tank would hurt more than it helps, because there's no proper way to do it now. If we would've sold off all of our vets and gave Smart, Thomas, Young, and all of our other young guys big minutes I would've been fine with that. But we sold off pretty much every vet we could and still were playing well. What else do you seriously expect us to do, sit people?

exactly. Danny was not expecting this. He traded Rondo, Green to get ready to pick in the top 7. But the team never quit, played hard . He had the opportunity to grab Thomas for very little and now we are playoff bound

Even if we try to lose, what we pick 12, 13? this team plays too hard to lose 3 , 4 straight at this pt. 12 or 13 guarantees nothing on draft night

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 11:25:53 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Honestly don't care either way.  Danny's eye for talent is pretty good so whether they pick say 10th or 16th probably won't have much impact in terms of who they come away with.  And there are no guarantees.  You can could miss the playoffs, draft a highly regarded player and he blows out his knee in a summer league game and is never the same.  Or strike out completely.

Finish 7th or 8th and we get some playoff basketball.  The team has some pieces they can go forward with but they still need an all star and someone who can protect the rim.  Draft a center and you're quite possibly developing him for someone else.  There are no guarantees where they're going to wind up in the draft - either way - so at this point it doesn't matter. 

The key days for this team lie ahead when Danny has to figure out who to re-sign off the current roster and figure out a way to get a couple of difference makers here. 

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 06:16:14 AM »

Offline bigskyceltic

• Xavier Tillman
Something must have gotten lost in the translation. I did not say to lose or tank on purpose what I said was this is a team of overachievers and when you are a young team nights like the Heat game do happen.  Also if the Celtics participate in the lottery we could could have the ping pong balls bounce our way and possibly move up to pick in the 5 to 10 range. My opinion is that we are better off to participate in the lottery than get swept or possibly win one game in the playoffs. Bottom line this Team is not talented enough. They are well coached, they play hard and are fun to watch BUT they are an unfinished product that is still in need of more talent. A 5 to 10 pick would be more valuable than a 15 or 16 pick whether we keep it or not.