Author Topic: NBA is getting soft  (Read 6463 times)

Re: NBA is getting soft
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 05:26:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Last night the tech foul on Bass (hit on arm on Dragic) was ridiculous.

So if he doesnt do that or as hard and Dragic gets a bucket and 1, then what??

Zeller was T up for a similar situation before

If Charles Oakley was in the league today he would of been suspended for  20 games/thrown out of games by now

As long its a basketball related play, a hard hit on the arm should be allowed (foul called after).  It prevents free layups and also for psychological advantage reasons

I generally agree with you, but there's a difference between dirty fouls and hard fouls. Hard(er) fouls should be allowed and not punished, but dirty fouls should not. The hard part is distinguishing between the two.

Last night, those technical fouls were BS for both side (Bass' and Walker's anyways). I also think they should stop the double technical crap. Let players talk trash to each other - that isn't hurting anything. Just don't let them physically go at it. Between flopping and the soft technical and foul calls, the NBA is trying to breed a nation of softies for the future.

I agree with all your points. Walker should of not received a tech either.

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 05:35:04 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

If Charles Oakley was in the league today he would of been suspended for  20 games/thrown out of games by now

As long its a basketball related play, a hard hit on the arm should be allowed (foul called after).  It prevents free layups and also for psychological advantage reasons

I generally agree with you, but there's a difference between dirty fouls and hard fouls. Hard(er) fouls should be allowed and not punished, but dirty fouls should not. The hard part is distinguishing between the two.

Last night, those technical fouls were BS for both side (Bass' and Walker's anyways). I also think they should stop the double technical crap. Let players talk trash to each other - that isn't hurting anything. Just don't let them physically go at it. Between flopping and the soft technical and foul calls, the NBA is trying to create a marketable product that is a safe sell to their consumer base, who are wildly different in ethnicity and athleticism from their players.

FTFY.

I prefer my interpretation  ;)

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 05:36:19 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Oakley should have been punished more. Allowing that style of nonsense kept people from actually playing basketball.

A hit on the arm is fine if you are trying to defend and end up making contact. I am not sympathetic to guys who got beat and couldn't make a play and just tried to hit a guy instead to stop a shot. I am not talking about Bass per se, but the general topic.

If you want to stop free layups, play better defense. If you want to hit a guy, make sure it looks like you were actually trying to defend the ball.

I have to whole heartedly agree with this - TP.  You should play the game, a lot of the stuff from the 80s that is looked at so wi****lly was basically just cheating.  The more skilled player drove by someone or had developed great post moves, so someone would just basically push them to the ground from the back with two hands.  I don't know why that behavior should get rewarded.  I want to see people play the game.  If you have every played in a rec league that allows this nonsense you would know what garbage it is.

Also - it is HILARIOUS that that word is being censored because of an acronym in the middle.  It took me like 3 minutes to figure out why that was happening

Imo, a great indicator is whether or not something would pass as acceptable if you were to do it playing pickup basketball. If someone where to pull crap like pushing you in the back after blowing by them or hacking you without going for the ball, they would get punched in the face and kicked off the court, so yea, it should not be allowed in the NBA.

As always, playground decorum remains a great litmus test for professional behavior in pro sports.

That's not sarcasm, by the way.

Playground play is generally "soft".   It is different

That's not necessarily true. I've seen and played in enough playground games where the competition is much less 'soft' than the pros, to the point where I often wonder why these guys take it so seriously, but they do, and if you don't take it seriously they basically kick you off the court.

The difference is that since there are no refs, you play on an honor system, so guys don't call cheap fouls and travels on each other, but guys don't blatantly foul or travel either.

Exactly.

Where did/do you guys play, lol, and are we talking as kids or adults, because trying to learn the game at recess everyday from guys wasn't fun.  They never explained all of the rules, fouled you and got away with it, called you for crap that they themselves did but were never reprimanded for, not to mention the physicality. 

Additionally, I practiced shooting at home on a hoop adjusted for how old I was, so whenever I got the ball and shot it on the playground, the stupid thing always grazed the bottom of the net because I wasn't used to the height.  It was so embarrassing and humiliating that when I eventually played two years of rec ball for the only time in my life towards the end of high school, I never took a shot.  Ever.  Even though I was now used to the height and everything, there were just too many bad memories that I was too afraid to even attempt a basket.  Pretty sad, huh?  Sigh.  I mean I always passed, but even my friends got mad at me for refusing to shoot, which is understandable.  I was so afraid of missing that I never even tried. :'( That's when I found out that basketball was a sport where only the confident guys would succeed, so that explains a lot, lol.  The moral of the story is never take me on your team in a pickup game, lol.  Ugh.

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 05:39:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Oakley should have been punished more. Allowing that style of nonsense kept people from actually playing basketball.

A hit on the arm is fine if you are trying to defend and end up making contact. I am not sympathetic to guys who got beat and couldn't make a play and just tried to hit a guy instead to stop a shot. I am not talking about Bass per se, but the general topic.

If you want to stop free layups, play better defense. If you want to hit a guy, make sure it looks like you were actually trying to defend the ball.

I have to whole heartedly agree with this - TP.  You should play the game, a lot of the stuff from the 80s that is looked at so wi****lly was basically just cheating.  The more skilled player drove by someone or had developed great post moves, so someone would just basically push them to the ground from the back with two hands.  I don't know why that behavior should get rewarded.  I want to see people play the game.  If you have every played in a rec league that allows this nonsense you would know what garbage it is.

Also - it is HILARIOUS that that word is being censored because of an acronym in the middle.  It took me like 3 minutes to figure out why that was happening

Imo, a great indicator is whether or not something would pass as acceptable if you were to do it playing pickup basketball. If someone where to pull crap like pushing you in the back after blowing by them or hacking you without going for the ball, they would get punched in the face and kicked off the court, so yea, it should not be allowed in the NBA.

As always, playground decorum remains a great litmus test for professional behavior in pro sports.

That's not necessarily true. I've seen and played in enough playground games where the competition is much less 'soft' than the pros, to the point where I often wonder why these guys take it so seriously, but they do, and if you don't take it seriously they basically kick you off the court.

The difference is that since there are no refs, you play on an honor system, so guys don't call cheap fouls and travels on each other, but guys don't blatantly foul or travel either.

Exactly.

Where did/do you guys play, lol, and are we talking as kids or adults, because trying to learn the game at recess everyday from guys wasn't fun.  They never explained all of the rules, fouled you and got away with it, called you for crap that they themselves did but were never reprimanded for, not to mention the physicality. 

Additionally, I practiced shooting at home on a hoop adjusted for how old I was, so whenever I got the ball and shot it on the playground, the stupid thing always grazed the bottom of the net because I wasn't used to the height.  It was so embarrassing and humiliating that when I eventually played two years of rec ball for the only time in my life towards the end of high school, I never took a shot.  Ever.  Even though I was now used to the height and everything, there were just too many bad memories that I was too afraid to even attempt a basket.  Pretty sad, huh?  Sigh.  I mean I always passed, but even my friends got mad at me for refusing to shoot, which is understandable.  I was so afraid of missing that I never even tried. :'( That's when I found out that basketball was a sport where only the confident guys would succeed, so that explains a lot, lol.  The moral of the story is never take me on your team in a pickup game, lol.  Ugh.

Is that you Kelly Olynyk??

"Shoot the ball"!

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 06:04:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Last night, those technical fouls were BS for both side (Bass' and Walker's anyways). I also think they should stop the double technical crap. Let players talk trash to each other - that isn't hurting anything. Just don't let them physically go at it. Between flopping and the soft technical and foul calls, the NBA is trying to create a marketable product that is a safe sell to their consumer base, who are wildly different in ethnicity and athleticism from their players.

FTFY.

Basically D.O.S is stating the NBA is turning into the Euroleague.  No thanks

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 06:26:37 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Exactly.

"Shoot the ball"!

Ugh.  I know.  Why do you think watching him play invokes so much anger and frustration from me, lol? ;D Ugh.  I'm not Canadian, though, nor do I like his 'beard.'  I do need a haircut, however, lol. ;D

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 06:55:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Exactly.

"Shoot the ball"!

Ugh.  I know.  Why do you think watching him play invokes so much anger and frustration from me, lol? ;D Ugh.  I'm not Canadian, though, nor do I like his 'beard.'  I do need a haircut, however, lol. ;D

puahaha.  If we had you on the team, you and Kelly would be playing hot potatoes with the ball instead of shooting it! 

All joking aside, next time you play rec, just shoot it. Don't care about what others think all the time

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 07:24:36 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

CSB:

I didn't play until I was like 19 or so.  My friends who were much better than me started taking me out to play in pick up games and I would get my butt handed to me every time.  It got me good at defense and hustling though, since that was all I could do, but my offense was pretty bad since I always felt there was a better shot.  I eventually got invited to a rec league team - my only organized basketball ever at that point - and I was awful and would play full games with 0 points.  It killed me on it for like 4 or 5 years. 

Then, I moved and started playing at a gym where they would have wildly different skill levels day to day for pick up.  It let me get used to the speed of high level games, but practice my moves in the low level games against people that were just as bad as I was.  I eventually entered my second league about a year ago and I was much better, although my offense was still not really there.  The thing was though, by the end I was starting to get a lot more confident.  It then lead me to the most competitive pick up games both at that gym and a couple other gyms, where all of a sudden I could compete because I just trusted myself so much more.

I've now been getting compliments on my basketball game from everyone the last few months in particular, it's the best feeling.  I play like 4x a week now and now that I can shoot/drive/post, it is basically my favorite thing to do.  I talk my girlfriend into staying in on Friday nights specifically so I can play basketball on Saturday mornings, since they're usually the best games.  I can even hang in rec league now, but my new goal is to average 15 points for a season.  I think I'm just getting to that point now, then I'll quickly get too old to keep it up and I'll have to resort to the 40+ games.

I still cherry pick constantly though! 

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 07:39:13 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
NBA has been soft for years.

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 10:12:02 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

FTFY.

Sure, but no one wants to go to a game to watch players fight. Everyone that pines for the "good old days" watches from home so they can post about how soft the game is on the Web.  ;D
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2015, 10:36:33 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

FTFY.

TP. When players start behaving like old heads, fans whine about how the game has been hijacked by "thugs."

Fans would heap praise on this scuffle if it was between Bird and Laimbeer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh2GXvNzgOo

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2015, 08:27:09 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
NBA has been soft for years.
Yep, soft.

The NBA seems to hate hard fouls and fights. But if the Knicks play the Heat in the playoffs (way into the future) what will get shown over and over again? All the fights and hard fouls in the past because that's what's fun and what we remember.
Just like when the Lakers and Celtics played in the finals a few years ago and we saw the Mchale closeline, Bird butt pushing Cooper into stands and stuff like that. You know, because it's fun and interesting.

I have a shirt of Dr.J and Bird  choking each other. I remember everything about that game. I couldn't tell you one thing about a NBA game in a few years. They just don't stand out.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2015, 09:00:28 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

FTFY.

Sure, but no one wants to go to a game to watch players fight. Everyone that pines for the "good old days" watches from home so they can post about how soft the game is on the Web.  ;D

Personally, I prefer playing in a rougher game, too. Not necessarily fights or anything like that, but rough D, hard fouls, etc. The game is always so much more fun when there's an edginess/"chippiness" to it. Have to have the right people to play it with, though, because some people get their feathers all ruffled when they're not about that play.  ;D

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2015, 09:03:01 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

FTFY.

TP. When players start behaving like old heads, fans whine about how the game has been hijacked by "thugs."

Fans would heap praise on this scuffle if it was between Bird and Laimbeer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh2GXvNzgOo

I'm not sure about you, but I loved that play by Pierce lol

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2015, 09:04:20 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

FTFY.

Yeah, that's what the nhl is for, lol. ;) ;D ::) I'm only being slightly sarcastic, btw, haha. ;D