Author Topic: NBA is getting soft  (Read 6498 times)

NBA is getting soft
« on: March 26, 2015, 02:15:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Last night the tech foul on Bass (hit on arm on Dragic) was ridiculous.

So if he doesnt do that or as hard and Dragic gets a bucket and 1, then what??

Zeller was T up for a similar situation before

If Charles Oakley was in the league today he would of been suspended for  20 games/thrown out of games by now

As long its a basketball related play, a hard hit on the arm should be allowed (foul called after).  It prevents free layups and also for psychological advantage reasons

Re: NBA is getting soft
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 02:40:22 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Oakley should have been punished more. Allowing that style of nonsense kept people from actually playing basketball.

A hit on the arm is fine if you are trying to defend and end up making contact. I am not sympathetic to guys who got beat and couldn't make a play and just tried to hit a guy instead to stop a shot. I am not talking about Bass per se, but the general topic.

If you want to stop free layups, play better defense. If you want to hit a guy, make sure it looks like you were actually trying to defend the ball.

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 02:49:24 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Oakley should have been punished more. Allowing that style of nonsense kept people from actually playing basketball.

A hit on the arm is fine if you are trying to defend and end up making contact. I am not sympathetic to guys who got beat and couldn't make a play and just tried to hit a guy instead to stop a shot. I am not talking about Bass per se, but the general topic.

If you want to stop free layups, play better defense. If you want to hit a guy, make sure it looks like you were actually trying to defend the ball.

I have to whole heartedly agree with this - TP.  You should play the game, a lot of the stuff from the 80s that is looked at so wi****lly was basically just cheating.  The more skilled player drove by someone or had developed great post moves, so someone would just basically push them to the ground from the back with two hands.  I don't know why that behavior should get rewarded.  I want to see people play the game.  If you have every played in a rec league that allows this nonsense you would know what garbage it is.

Also - it is HILARIOUS that that word is being censored because of an acronym in the middle.  It took me like 3 minutes to figure out why that was happening

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 02:54:45 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

As long its a basketball related play, a hard hit on the arm should be allowed (foul called after).  It prevents free layups and also for psychological advantage reasons
But if it becomes a psychological war, Bron-Bron would lose more often than not, and we can't market that to China.

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 03:10:59 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I have to whole heartedly agree with this - TP.  You should play the game, a lot of the stuff from the 80s that is looked at so wi****lly was basically just cheating.  The more skilled player drove by someone or had developed great post moves, so someone would just basically push them to the ground from the back with two hands.  I don't know why that behavior should get rewarded.  I want to see people play the game.  If you have every played in a rec league that allows this nonsense you would know what garbage it is.

Also - it is HILARIOUS that that word is being censored because of an acronym in the middle.  It took me like 3 minutes to figure out why that was happening

Imo, a great indicator is whether or not something would pass as acceptable if you were to do it playing pickup basketball. If someone where to pull crap like pushing you in the back after blowing by them or hacking you without going for the ball, they would get punched in the face and kicked off the court, so yea, it should not be allowed in the NBA.

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 03:14:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I think your talking about what whiteside to KO. Im talking about what Bass did to Dragic. Its ok that he put extra "mustard" behind the hit on the arm, to make sure he doesnt make the basket/and 1.

Oakley alot of times fouled in this manner.

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 03:19:19 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Imo, a great indicator is whether or not something would pass as acceptable if you were to do it playing pickup basketball. If someone where to pull crap like pushing you in the back after blowing by them or hacking you without going for the ball, they would get punched in the face and kicked off the court, so yea, it should not be allowed in the NBA.

As always, playground decorum remains a great litmus test for professional behavior in pro sports.

That's not sarcasm, by the way.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 04:36:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

As always, playground decorum remains a great litmus test for professional behavior in pro sports.

Playground play is generally "soft".   It is different

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 04:44:56 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

That's not necessarily true. I've seen and played in enough playground games where the competition is much less 'soft' than the pros, to the point where I often wonder why these guys take it so seriously, but they do, and if you don't take it seriously they basically kick you off the court.

The difference is that since there are no refs, you play on an honor system, so guys don't call cheap fouls and travels on each other, but guys don't blatantly foul or travel either.

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 04:50:07 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

That's not necessarily true. I've seen and played in enough playground games where the competition is much less 'soft' than the pros, to the point where I often wonder why these guys take it so seriously, but they do, and if you don't take it seriously they basically kick you off the court.

The difference is that since there are no refs, you play on an honor system, so guys don't call cheap fouls and travels on each other, but guys don't blatantly foul or travel either.

Exactly.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 04:56:05 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
This whole thread is just begging for a lousy 'Fresh Prince' quip.

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 04:59:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
This whole thread is just begging for a lousy 'Fresh Prince' quip.

No. Again the main example is the ridiculous tech foul call on Bass basketball play(even if it was firm/follow through).

It should not happen

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 05:12:52 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

If Charles Oakley was in the league today he would of been suspended for  20 games/thrown out of games by now

I generally agree with you, but there's a difference between dirty fouls and hard fouls. Hard(er) fouls should be allowed and not punished, but dirty fouls should not. The hard part is distinguishing between the two.

Last night, those technical fouls were BS for both side (Bass' and Walker's anyways). I also think they should stop the double technical crap. Let players talk trash to each other - that isn't hurting anything. Just don't let them physically go at it. Between flopping and the soft technical and foul calls, the NBA is trying to breed a nation of softies for the future.

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 05:16:29 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

I generally agree with you, but there's a difference between dirty fouls and hard fouls. Hard(er) fouls should be allowed and not punished, but dirty fouls should not. The hard part is distinguishing between the two.

Last night, those technical fouls were BS for both side (Bass' and Walker's anyways). I also think they should stop the double technical crap. Let players talk trash to each other - that isn't hurting anything. Just don't let them physically go at it. Between flopping and the soft technical and foul calls, the NBA is trying to create a marketable product that is a safe sell to their consumer base, who are wildly different in ethnicity and athleticism from their players.

FTFY.

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 05:24:23 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Oakley was just a thug - plain and simple.  Yes, he was a great rebounder, and yes, he was a very good to excellent passer, but that's not what he was known for.  Most of the time he just took cheap shots on guys.  He would have been a great piston, lol, especially if he had ever hit the outside shot with more efficiency, but he was straight out of the Laimbeer, Mahorn, Salley, and Rodman playbook - he tried to hurt you, and I have no respect for guys like that.