Author Topic: Coach Brad Stevens is a top 10 NBA Coach (ESPN article)  (Read 8046 times)

Re: Coach Brad Stevens is a top 10 NBA Coach (ESPN article)
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 04:19:53 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Sweet. Strong showing for a rookie coach.
Except he's not a rookie coach?

He's coached in the NBA before?

Last year?...

I feel like I'm missing the joke..

Jesus has it been 2 years? Wah...haha. Jeez. It's me, I'm the joke.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 04:27:51 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Last year?...

Jesus has it been 2 years? Wah...haha. Jeez. It's me, I'm the joke.
In fairness, it's not hard to have selective memory about last season ;D

... we're talking about the same coach, right?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 08:08:08 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997
Stevens has had some headscratch-inducing moments during his coaching campaign - such as playing IT close to 20 minutes last night, or the merry-go-round of game substitutions and playing 13 players a game following the Rondo and Green trades - but otherwise has done a pretty [dang] good job with the revolving door of players that Danny has given him to work with.  I'm glad he's getting recognition.

Spoelstra doesn't belong at 6.  Miami obviously has had major injury problems this year, but they shouldn't have a sub-500 record in the Eastern Conference.  Not certain he's a top 10 coach.

The rest of that list is interesting.  Brett Brown at 22.  I think he's better than that and he'll prove it once he actually gets established talent on his team.  I'd put Scott Brooks at 25 or lower.

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 08:27:02 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green

Last year?...

He came in midseason last year.  Technically, he's still a rookie coach.

what? no. he didn't came in midseason, what are you smoking?

he coached a full year last year, and this is his 2nd year.

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 08:46:06 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997
According to a poll within this ESPN article - http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/12561718/boston-celtics-coach-brad-stevens-poise-patience-starting-pay-off - which asks "Are you satisfied with the job coach Brad Stevens is doing with the Celtics?", only 2 percent of voters (out of 1229 votes) voted "No". 

Not bad.

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 12:30:24 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
a bit of a bump and not directly tied to the original theme, but CBS related....

some texas boards are saying Brad Stevens name has come up in their coaching search. this is just plain evil.  >:(

http://national.suntimes.com/nba/7/72/873156/brad-stevens-boston-celtics-texas

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 12:31:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
CBS should win it.  Congrats sir you are a genius. 

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/04/brad-stevens-boston-celtics-nba-coach-of-the-year

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2015, 01:13:25 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
6   Miami Heat
Erik Spoelstra   7.48

I have to ask about this.  What?  Is he doing anything special with Miami this year?  I understand ranking him high when he's going to the Finals every year, it's hard to look bad with LeBron/Wade/Bosh and ring chasing vets.  But has he really built that kind of reputation where he's #6 even though his team is under-performing now?  Most people had Miami clearly in the playoffs this year with a winning record, no?  And they were losing before Bosh went out, so you can't blame injuries.

I don't know, I just don't see it.

You can certainly blame injuries.  For all the turnover the Celtics have had with the numerous in-season trades, the Heat have had at least that much due to injuries.  22 players have appeared in games for the C's this year, compared to 21 for Miami.  And while 11 different Celtics have started a game, 18 different players have been in the starting lineup for Miami.  They're giving big minutes to Bill (now Henry) Walker, undrafted rookie Tyler Johnson, and late 2nd round rookie James Ennis.  Do I think he's done an amazing job? No.  But at same time I don't think he's underperformed.  Their current rotation is Wade, Dragic, and a bunch of guys who've seen significant D-league action in the last two years.  He hasn't overperformed, certainly, but I'm not going to go crazy for people giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Edit: After posting, I realized this was a revives three-week old discussion. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 01:19:49 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2015, 01:20:33 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/04/brad-stevens-boston-celtics-nba-coach-of-the-year

Stevens deserves A LOT of credit for our success this year. With the constant gutting of the team and with a roster like ours, it's kinda surprising we're even in the playoffs and at 7th seed. Admit it, our team is trash if you asked anyone OUTSIDE of Boston, and with a "trash" team, Stevens has either developed or made some players overachieve. Like some of the articles said, this is giving regular minutes to players like Crowder, and Jerebko, our best player in IT, who is 5'9 and cannot play defense.

Get this guy a star! Isn't this what Stevens was known for, getting Butler far in the NCAA with a bunch of nobodies? Get this guy some talent and stars and I will bet you he will perform some wonders.

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2015, 01:32:20 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
6   Miami Heat
Erik Spoelstra   7.48

I have to ask about this.  What?  Is he doing anything special with Miami this year?  I understand ranking him high when he's going to the Finals every year, it's hard to look bad with LeBron/Wade/Bosh and ring chasing vets.  But has he really built that kind of reputation where he's #6 even though his team is under-performing now?  Most people had Miami clearly in the playoffs this year with a winning record, no?  And they were losing before Bosh went out, so you can't blame injuries.

I don't know, I just don't see it.

You can certainly blame injuries.  For all the turnover the Celtics have had with the numerous in-season trades, the Heat have had at least that much due to injuries.  22 players have appeared in games for the C's this year, compared to 21 for Miami.  And while 11 different Celtics have started a game, 18 different players have been in the starting lineup for Miami.  They're giving big minutes to Bill (now Henry) Walker, undrafted rookie Tyler Johnson, and late 2nd round rookie James Ennis.  Do I think he's done an amazing job? No.  But at same time I don't think he's underperformed.  Their current rotation is Wade, Dragic, and a bunch of guys who've seen significant D-league action in the last two years.  He hasn't overperformed, certainly, but I'm not going to go crazy for people giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Edit: After posting, I realized this was a revives three-week old discussion.

It's also worth noting that Spoelstra was/is the only coach that's successfully built an offensive and defensive system around the best player in the world. That's not something that you do by accident, or Mike Brown would still have a job.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2015, 01:43:39 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
a bit of a bump and not directly tied to the original theme, but CBS related....

some texas boards are saying Brad Stevens name has come up in their coaching search. this is just plain evil.  >:(

http://national.suntimes.com/nba/7/72/873156/brad-stevens-boston-celtics-texas

They also tried to rumor Nick Saban into their head coaching job in the football program as well a couple of years back.

Remember, it's Texas fans.  That equals delusional.

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2015, 02:19:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Stevens deserves A LOT of credit for our success this year. With the constant gutting of the team and with a roster like ours, it's kinda surprising we're even in the playoffs and at 7th seed. Admit it, our team is trash if you asked anyone OUTSIDE of Boston, and with a "trash" team, Stevens has either developed or made some players overachieve. Like some of the articles said, this is giving regular minutes to players like Crowder, and Jerebko, our best player in IT, who is 5'9 and cannot play defense.

Get this guy a star! Isn't this what Stevens was known for, getting Butler far in the NCAA with a bunch of nobodies? Get this guy some talent and stars and I will bet you he will perform some wonders.

A star or two but "humble" stars not players like Rondo, Cousins

Jimmy Butler, Leonard  would fit right in

Otherwise pick a top prospect CBS can mold into a great player

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I'm pretty sure what Stevens did has never been done before.

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 02:29:08 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Lose more than half of the games in a season for multiple seasons in a row?

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2015, 03:00:06 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I'd say it's most similar to what Doc did in his first year coaching:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ORL/2000.html

Except they had a slightly better record but didn't make the playoffs.  And Orlando didn't trade away their star player, but that's because they didn't have one to begin with.

The post-script to that year was that they were able to draw T-Mac and Grant Hill to sign there in the offseason, though Hill unfortunately had some brutal injury issues once he got there.