Author Topic: Isn't Boston a front runner to land Love if he leaves the Cavs ?  (Read 15841 times)

Re: Isn't Boston a front runner to land Love if he leaves the Cavs ?
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2015, 11:57:42 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
If teams Love plays on outscored their opponents when he is on the court, but didn't when he's is not. Then the teams he plays on would out score the teams he plays against to point that he would win enough games to earn a ring. I mean if he's in the game 80-85% of the minutes, you're telling me his team is out scoring the opponents. He would at least have a playoff appearance.

His teams DO outscore their opponents when he is on the court, by a lot, and he does play 80% of the minutes, and yet they don't win championships. Those are all facts. So your assumption that "he would at least have a playoff appearance" is wrong, and based on your own intuition about things.

What's Minnesota's record this year, after losing Love, adding Wiggins, and getting big improvements from Shabazz and Dieng? 16-55. Last year they were 40-42. That's a ~20 game swing.

« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2015, 03:07:25 AM »

Offline e4sym0de

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
What's Minnesota's record this year, after losing Love, adding Wiggins, and getting big improvements from Shabazz and Dieng? 16-55. Last year they were 40-42. That's a ~20 game swing.

Im not on the Love hate train, but you can´t assign that 20 game swing to Love alone. Last year, Minny wanted to win, this year not so much.

Rubio played 22 games this year (82 last year)
Pekovic played 31 games (54 last year)
Martin played 33 games (68 last year)
Lost Brewer who averaged 12pts for Minny last season. (4th most of the Team)
Lost Barea who averaged 8pts for Minny last season. (6th most of the Team)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:15:09 AM by e4sym0de »

« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2015, 03:53:47 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I'd rather have a large marshmallow which sprouted arms and legs than Kevin Love.  The marshmallow would provide better man defense and exhibit more toughness and grit.  It also wouldn't whine on a regular basis. 

Have a lovely day...

we already have a marshmallow man, he is out for the year with a broken foot

I don't see Sully as a marshmallow, although it appears that his diet may consist
solely of them...actually, he reminds me more of the Michelin Man!

« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2015, 10:04:13 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Why doesn't Love have a ring or even a play off appearance? I'll tell you, Love doesn't make anyone play better, he doesn't lead by example, he skips the intangibles.
Advanced Metrics do not win championships, except in fantasy league basketball.

Take Kevin Love off of Cleveland, put them in the west, and they would miss the playoffs this year. They are 47-26 in the eastern conference and have been outscored when he's off the court. OKC is 41-31 and in the 8th spot. They would be EASILY 6 games worse in the west, without Love.

Nobody is saying Love = LeBron, or Durant, or Davis. He's not the MVP of the league. However, he's taken arguably the most inept franchise in the league to 40 wins in the west, and the evidence seems to say that LeBron wouldn't do any better on his own. He's no more a failure for his playoff record than KG or anyone else trapped in a bad situation. Any assumption to the contrary is based on the mythical superstar who takes any old team to the playoffs. There have been maybe 5 of those, ever.

KG, for the record, remains the only Timberwolf who was good enough to drag the franchise to the postseason -- they've never made the playoffs without him.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2015, 10:52:33 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Like another fan mentioned, I would consider it an HONOR as a Celtics fan if a player of Kevin Love's caliber wanted to come play for the Celtics.

How others feel is their own prerogative.

« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2015, 11:05:23 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Like another fan mentioned, I would consider it an HONOR as a Celtics fan if a player of Kevin Love's caliber wanted to come play for the Celtics.

How others feel is their own prerogative.

He's not a prince-in-waiting.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2015, 12:04:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Im not on the Love hate train, but you can´t assign that 20 game swing to Love alone. Last year, Minny wanted to win, this year not so much.

Rubio played 22 games this year (82 last year)
Pekovic played 31 games (54 last year)
Martin played 33 games (68 last year)
Lost Brewer who averaged 12pts for Minny last season. (4th most of the Team)
Lost Barea who averaged 8pts for Minny last season. (6th most of the Team)

+1.

« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2015, 01:03:34 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132

Why doesn't Love have a ring or even a play off appearance? I'll tell you, Love doesn't make anyone play better, he doesn't lead by example, he skips the intangibles.

By the way. This is Anthony Davis' 3rd year in the league and he in all likelihood will miss the playoffs for the 3rd straight year. He must not be a winner. We must not want him in Boston.  ::)

« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2015, 01:13:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

By the way. This is Anthony Davis' 3rd year in the league and he in all likelihood will miss the playoffs for the 3rd straight year. He must not be a winner. We must not want him in Boston.  ::)

What?? Lol

« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2015, 01:19:42 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum

What?? Lol

The OP was making a point that because Kevin Love hasn't made the playoffs, and that he doesn't make any of his teammates better. Anthony Davis hasn't made the playoffs either. Why isn't the OP critical of him?

« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2015, 01:34:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Anthony Davis' 3rd year in the league and he in all likelihood will miss the playoffs for the 3rd straight year. He must not be a winner. We must not want him in Boston.

Anthony Davis has all the offensive skills and plays defense, something that can't be said of Love.  In fact, he is an elite defender, the comparison does not apply.   Love is a sieve on defense.  Davis is a beast.  One is a two way player and one is an offense guy, big difference.

« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2015, 01:38:51 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
Anthony Davis' 3rd year in the league and he in all likelihood will miss the playoffs for the 3rd straight year. He must not be a winner. We must not want him in Boston.

Anthony Davis has all the offensive skills and plays defense, something that can't be said of Love.  In fact, he is an elite defender, the comparison does not apply.   Love is a sieve on defense.  Davis is a beast.  One is a two way player and one is an offense guy, big difference.

Then why doesn't he have a playoff appearance as the exact words went from what I quoted earlier?

By the way, I obviously believe that AD is way better than Kevin Love, but the argument presented is too simplistic and not that greatly formed.

« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2015, 01:42:18 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Then why doesn't he have a playoff appearance as the exact words went from what I quoted earlier?

By the way, I obviously believe that AD is way better than Kevin Love, but the argument presented is too simplistic and not that greatly formed.

While I agree with you your counterargument suffers similarly, and may not be the best way to make the point.

« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2015, 01:53:30 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Is it a problem to say that I think you can build a team around AD as the centerpiece but not Love? 

And it has absolutely zero to do about making playoff appearances?  :P

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2015, 02:27:57 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Guys like Love don't come around very often and stretch power forwards thrive in Stevens' system- it would be very hard to guard both Love and Isaiah Thomas in the 4th.

Sure he's got his issues but tell me how we get that offense on this roster without him?

This. 

Its surprising to me, now that Ainge is starting to shape his roster, that the majority of the CB faithful still can't see the blueprint.  He's clearly cherry picking players who fit into Brad's pace/space scheme.  Jerebko, Gigi, Crowder --- all guys who can stretch the floor. 

Then look at how Smart has been given a edict to improve his 3pt shooting.  Heck we even replaced a star pg who can't shoot -- with a fringe starter who is dynamite in the pick/roll -- and its actually working!

In conclusion, both Danny & Brad like stretch 4's.  They want a good one to pair with Thomas, it'll make us unstoppable on the pick/roll.  Kevin Love, free agent to be, is the best stretch 4 in the league.  Mark my words, Kevin Love WILL walk through that door.