Author Topic: Isn't Boston a front runner to land Love if he leaves the Cavs ?  (Read 15864 times)

Re: Isn't Boston a front runner to land Love if he leaves the Cavs ?
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2015, 06:10:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Wow, just wow on all the people ready to pass on Love. This is a player that can legitimately give you 26-13-4, shoot 40% from deep, 80% from the line (with 8+ FTA), and there are definitely worse defenders. He's 26 years old and entering his prime. In various years he's thrown up a 20 & 15 with 42% 3PT, 26-13 twice, 4.4 assists last year, high efficiency, low turnovers...

And you wouldn't give him a max deal the summer before the cap rises $30M, when 3-and-D guys like Khris Middleton are in the mix for $10-15M / year deals?

Um yeah, you sign Kevin Love if he's available and interested. Like I said, wow.

watch the awesome defense/effort by Love then reply again . Still the same today.   At least freaking attempt to raise your arms to distract/alter the shots before running for the rebound.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4NwjMP7ydU

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2015, 06:34:16 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Wow, just wow on all the people ready to pass on Love. This is a player that can legitimately give you 26-13-4, shoot 40% from deep, 80% from the line (with 8+ FTA), and there are definitely worse defenders. He's 26 years old and entering his prime. In various years he's thrown up a 20 & 15 with 42% 3PT, 26-13 twice, 4.4 assists last year, high efficiency, low turnovers...

And you wouldn't give him a max deal the summer before the cap rises $30M, when 3-and-D guys like Khris Middleton are in the mix for $10-15M / year deals?

Um yeah, you sign Kevin Love if he's available and interested. Like I said, wow.

watch the awesome defense/effort by Love then reply again . Still the same today.   At least freaking attempt to raise your arms to distract/alter the shots before running for the rebound.   

Pretty sure there's no one on the Celtics playing better defense right now if last night's debacle vs Miami was any indication.

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2015, 06:41:25 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Personally I'd be honored if a player of Love's caliber even thought of playing in Boston for five minutes. This is a team that starts Kelly Olynyk at PF. KELLY OLYNYK.

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2015, 06:45:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Pretty sure there's no one on the Celtics playing better defense right now if last night's debacle vs Miami was any indication.

Marcus Smart, Crowder, Jerebko, Zeller  more than half of the Celtics team plays much better defense than no defensive effort Love.   

I dislike players like Love regardless of what he is capable of doing on the offensive end.  Selfish player just looking out for his best interest/padding stats.   

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2015, 07:14:41 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

By this logic, I should post a video of him grabbing 20 rebounds and draining 3 pointers as my rebuttal, Or maybe Harold Miner throwing down a dunk out of context.

Last year in Minnesota, Love's team outscored opponents by 6 points per 100 possessions, or about as good as San Antonio with Duncan in the lineup. When he was on the bench, they were outscored by 4 points per 100, or roughly, the Celtics on their way to 25 wins.

This year in Cleveland, they are +6 with him on the court. They are -3 with him off. Offense vs defense? 4 points better on offense and 5 points better on defense when he plays.

Pretty much every year of his career, his teams are 8-10 (net) points better when he plays, he challenges for the league lead in rebounds, and he drops an efficient 20-26 points.

But hey, you found a video of him giving up a short jumper.

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2015, 07:23:20 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

Marcus Smart, Crowder, Jerebko, Zeller  more than half of the Celtics team plays much better defense than no defensive effort Love.   

I dislike players like Love regardless of what he is capable of doing on the offensive end.  Selfish player just looking out for his best interest/padding stats.

Watching Love play that type of defense would kill me. We talk about KO and his defense, at least Kelly works at it. This guy is one of the worst defender I've ever seen.
Bradley, Smart and Crowder would either kick his ax or say, why are we busting our tail.

No way is my vote.

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2015, 07:26:57 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I don't get it.

When Kevin Love averages 16-10-2 on a contender (arguably the title favorite), he is "mentally weak," "underperforming," and "not a number one."

When Kevin Love averages 26-14-4 on a team about as good as ours now (TWolves play in the West were always on the edge of the playoffs), he is a "stat-padding, overrated and selfish."

What people are not seeing is that Kevin Love's "down year, garbage performance" numbers (on a good team) are better than the stats of any player on our team.

Sure, Love is a weak-to-average defender (haven't seen enough to reach a final verdict), but Sullinger and Olynyk don't exactly make you want to get in your defensive stance and slap the floor.

Most importantly, Kevin Love is currently 25, about two and a half years older than either Sullinger or Olynyk. Offensively, he's averaging numbers near 2008 KG's, and one could argue that Love isn't even in his prime yet.

And, as someone before mentioned, if we are willing to give $15 million to Middleton or Greg Monroe, why not throw $20 million at Kevin Love?

« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2015, 07:32:25 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
Watching Love play that type of defense would kill me. We talk about KO and his defense, at least Kelly works at it. This guy is one of the worst defender I've ever seen.
Bradley, Smart and Crowder would either kick his ax or say, why are we busting our tail.

No way is my vote.

Based on what, a highlight video edited to make him look bad? If he's such a terrible defender, there should be *some* sort of numbers out there to back it up, but I haven't seen them. Put a shot blocking center behind him and you're fine. So far with Mozgov - a decent but not outstanding defender - Cleveland's defensive rating is 0.96 and they have reemerged as a contender for the title (offense = 1.21).

On the flip side, Cleveland has zero lineups that have outscored the opposition without Love in them (and yes, including both LeBron and Irving).

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2015, 07:40:28 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
When you play for a contender your supposed to thrive in the spotlight not get benched in favor of Shumpert, do you get it now?

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2015, 07:49:49 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
He would be the best guy out there if he opts out.

And it ain't close.

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2015, 07:53:48 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
The Shumpert thing doesn't sway me any more than one selectively chosen YouTube video.

What I do know is that the Cavs are considered a top contender for the title, they are 9 points better with Love on the court, he's averaging 17 and 10 with the usual high percentages despite being made a 3rd option, and the playoffs haven't even started yet. That and the media loves any sort of perceived tension / drama. Also, per usual, giving a guy 20% of the (pending) cap room isn't the same as saying he's going to win MVP. That's not how it works.

« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2015, 07:55:55 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

By this logic, I should post a video of him grabbing 20 rebounds and draining 3 pointers as my rebuttal, Or maybe Harold Miner throwing down a dunk out of context.

Last year in Minnesota, Love's team outscored opponents by 6 points per 100 possessions, or about as good as San Antonio with Duncan in the lineup. When he was on the bench, they were outscored by 4 points per 100, or roughly, the Celtics on their way to 25 wins.

This year in Cleveland, they are +6 with him on the court. They are -3 with him off. Offense vs defense? 4 points better on offense and 5 points better on defense when he plays.

Pretty much every year of his career, his teams are 8-10 (net) points better when he plays, he challenges for the league lead in rebounds, and he drops an efficient 20-26 points.

But hey, you found a video of him giving up a short jumper.

TP, AWESOME rebuttal.  Summed up what I have been saying about him for a while, would love to see him on the Celtics and his scoring/rebounding more then make up for any weakness on defense (although that weakness is not nearly as bad as it is made out to be).
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2015, 07:55:59 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

No way is my vote.

Based on what, a highlight video edited to make him look bad? If he's such a terrible defender, there should be *some* sort of numbers out there to back it up, but I haven't seen them. Put a shot blocking center behind him and you're fine. So far with Mozgov - a decent but not outstanding defender - Cleveland's defensive rating is 0.96 and they have reemerged as a contender for the title (offense = 1.21).

On the flip side, Cleveland has zero lineups that have outscored the opposition without Love in them (and yes, including both LeBron and Irving).

My opinion was based on the video, the effort I viewed was terrible, even laughable. Cleveland has Labron watching everyone's effort on that team. He knows when someone is slacking on D. Judging by some of the rumors, he's not happy with Love either. After the season is over, IF Cleveland doesn't win a championship, the truth will leak out. Think what you will of Labron, but he puts his money where his mouth is.
As of late, Love doesn't even play the 4th quarter in close games. Do you think this is by accident. That's what they think of his defensive effort.

The video wasn't edited, it show how Kevin plays defense during a regular season game, it is what it is. 

« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2015, 08:00:41 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

No way is my vote.

My opinion was based on the video, the effort I viewed was terrible, even laughable. Cleveland has Labron watching everyone's effort on that team. He knows when someone is slacking on D. Judging by some of the rumors, he's not happy with Love either. After the season is over, IF Cleveland doesn't win a championship, the truth will leak out. Think what you will of Labron, but he puts his money where his mouth is.
As of late, Love doesn't even play the 4th quarter in close games. Do you think this is by accident. That's what they think of his defensive effort.

The video wasn't edited, it show how Kevin plays defense during a regular season game, it is what it is.

You are basing your entire opinion of a star player based on one clip, from youtube posted by someone who is trying to make Love look bad defensively? That is crazy!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:40:28 PM by Celts Fan 508 »
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2015, 08:18:24 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
Guess we wouldn't want LeBron, either. This is in the Eastern Conference Finals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQw3TVve2K0