Author Topic: An ex-NBA player who made $66 million is now a Columbia student with a 3.8 GPA  (Read 4409 times)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He was a terrible Celtic, but he had a great career, and he's obviously a pretty smart guy.

I still can't believe that we passed on him for Kedrick Brown.  We should have had a draft class of Joe Johnson, Troy Murphy, and Tony Parker.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline stb

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 120
I still can't believe we passed on Brian Scalabrine for Joe Forte!

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
He was a terrible Celtic, but he had a great career, and he's obviously a pretty smart guy.

I still can't believe that we passed on him for Kedrick Brown.  We should have had a draft class of Joe Johnson, Troy Murphy, and Tony Parker.

I dove into this draft hard in my book.  Chapter 15 I think.  They had Murphy and Randolph in the day before the draft too.  Could've picked either one at 9.  That's where the decision really was at.

Kedrick was promised weeks before the draft.  Got Kedrick to shut it down and guaranteed him with one of the two back-to-back picks.

Joe was selected essentially over Randolph and Murphy - Celtics picked him based on the BPA theory and that they'd create depth at a position and such flexibility would lead to a future trade (which we all know it did.)

The Parker pick is the one that really stings.  Particularly with Chris Wallace who mentions it to me ALL...THE...TIME when we speak.  Leo Papile, same thing, throws his hands up in the air and just shouts how Wallace had that nailed.

A lot of stories have come out that Forte was "Red's pick" and while Dean Smith gave Red a great recommendation on Forte - he was essentially O'Brien's pick.  The thinking amongst the organization at the time was everyone would get "their pick."  Papile loved JJ - Celts went with him.  Wallace was a Kedrick guy and had a great relationship with Kedrick's agent Arn Tellem - so the Celts guaranteed him.  Then O'brien wanted a three point shooter for his offense so the Celts went with Forte.

Yeah tough to deal with.  And this is without even discussing the Celts could've rolled over that Denver pick to the next year or two and gotten a MUCH higher pick.

Talk about crying over spilled milk and the ultimate what if's!

Papile told me for the book that if they nailed that draft the way they should - Paul Gaston might still be owning the team.
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Papile told me for the book that if they nailed that draft the way they should - Paul Gaston might still be owning the team.

I guess it was worth sacrificing Tony Parker, then!  I think I'd rather see a reunion of Mark Blount and Rick Pitino in Celtics Green than have Gaston back as owner.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast

I guess it was worth sacrificing Tony Parker, then!  I think I'd rather see a reunion of Mark Blount and Rick Pitino in Celtics Green than have Gaston back as owner.

Especially when you consider who's owning the team now.  Don't get any classier than Wyc and his group.  Proud to have them representing the organization.  Oh and they also care even more than I do as a fan.

Do not care for Gaston.  Everyone I reached out to was more than compliant in speaking with me.  Two of the 20 some people on my list refused to speak with me - Gaston and his henchman at the time - team COO Rich Pond.
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
That's not fair. After all, no one's slick as Gaston. No one's quick as Gaston. No one's neck is as incredibly thick as Gaston.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
That's not fair. After all, no one's slick as Gaston. No one's quick as Gaston. No one's neck is as incredibly thick as Gaston.

Interesting bit on Gaston.  See #3:

http://www.cracked.com/article_20622_5-mind-blowing-movie-easter-eggs-that-give-away-ending.html

Mike

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Okay, Joe Johnson I definitely understand and agree with, but not the other two, especially when Zach Randolph, Gerald Wallace, and Gilbert Arenas were all available.  You really would have wanted to see Murphy play in Boston, because I wouldn't have.

As for Parker, I'll never understand why everyone loves him so much.  He's incredibly overrated, imo, because he's not even really a point guard.  It's not like he has ever been known for his passing or defense.  He's scored the majority of his points due to his speed.  Only in the later stages of his career did he learn to shoot and became a good scorer, but again, the latter was mostly due to the inability to keep him out of the paint, because he didn't show any of the moves he now has when he first entered the league.  I don't know, I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'll take Rondo over Parker everyday of the week and twice on Sunday, especially in the playoffs.  If Parker isn't scoring, he's not a factor on the court, and that's not the guy who I'd want to have running the show.  Go ahead, tell me I'm nuts, lol. ;D 

Also, never draft according to what a coach needs.  I'm sure that they could have found another 3-point shooter in free agency or whatever, but I wouldn't pass up the chance to get a guy like Randolph just because the coach wants something.  Never build around a coach.  Ever.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Okay, Joe Johnson I definitely understand and agree with, but not the other two, especially when Zach Randolph, Gerald Wallace, and Gilbert Arenas were all available.  You really would have wanted to see Murphy play in Boston, because I wouldn't have.

As for Parker, I'll never understand why everyone loves him so much.  He's incredibly overrated, imo, because he's not even really a point guard.  It's not like he has ever been known for his passing or defense.  He's scored the majority of his points due to his speed.  Only in the later stages of his career did he learn to shoot and became a good scorer, but again, the latter was mostly due to the inability to keep him out of the paint, because he didn't show any of the moves he now has when he first entered the league.  I don't know, I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'll take Rondo over Parker everyday of the week and twice on Sunday, especially in the playoffs.  If Parker isn't scoring, he's not a factor on the court, and that's not the guy who I'd want to have running the show.  Go ahead, tell me I'm nuts, lol. ;D 

Also, never draft according to what a coach needs.  I'm sure that they could have found another 3-point shooter in free agency or whatever, but I wouldn't pass up the chance to get a guy like Randolph just because the coach wants something.  Never build around a coach.  Ever.

I picked Murphy and Parker because they were two guys rumored to be coming here.

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

I picked Murphy and Parker because they were two guys rumored to be coming here.

Ah.  Well, you're certainly more qualified to make such an assertion than I am, because I wasn't even a fan at that point, lol.  I was more wondering why we would pass up a post player, because  I don't even think we had one at that time, did we?  It's not like Antoine was posting up, and even if he did, it wasn't like he was good at it. 

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Good for Murphy. He seems like he's living his best life. Make a fortune playing basketball and then while you've still got some youth left, go back to school for what interests you while living comfortably and spend the rest of your yeasr doing what you want, knowing you and your children will be totally secure.

But yeah, he was a terrible Celtic.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Especially when you consider who's owning the team now.  Don't get any classier than Wyc and his group.  Proud to have them representing the organization.  Oh and they also care even more than I do as a fan.

Do not care for Gaston.  Everyone I reached out to was more than compliant in speaking with me.  Two of the 20 some people on my list refused to speak with me - Gaston and his henchman at the time - team COO Rich Pond.

Agreed--Wyc and his crew have really done things right, with quality people like Danny, Doc and Brad projecting the right approach through the organization as well.