Poll

What's better for a team's future?

Make the playoffs Below .500.  Get swept in Round 1.  Pick #15
30 (34.5%)
Miss the Playoffs.  Have 9th best Draft odds.
57 (65.5%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: Better to be swept in Round 1 and pick #15... or have 9th best draft odds?  (Read 27351 times)

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
The bottom line is Ainge needs to score big in free agency. Millsap, Jordan, Gasol, Monroe or whomever might be targeted.
If you have to over pay so be it. If you need Cap space you trade a future #1 with a Wallace expiring contract to clear space. Maybe that allows you to sign 2 big name Free Agents in 15.

Yes #9 in the 15 draft should net you a very good player so when u do make the playoffs you have a chance to win a series, not just show up..

Idk if we get any of those guys Danny deserves a huge raise. Our team sucks and we're not normally a FA dest..

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
the game tonight with the clips is one more nail in the coffin of this argument. no way is this team close to being a playoff ready team. more talent is needed. ONE ROUTE to more talent is better draft position.

i prefer this season that the celtics have the #11-12 pick, and then trade up to #8-9. there should be some good talent event that deep into this draft.

I wish we started tanking earlier..

you'll always have Philly, kid. libertytballers.com
Right now the difference between the 15th and the 9th draft pick is a single game. You cannot tell me that you really believe that winning one more game is worth 6 picks. To trade up from 15 to 9 you would need to probably move the Clips pic, the Philly #2, and I highly doubt that would be enough anyway.

Cmon man, Ive been on the playoff bandwagon too, but the point is that we competed all year long. We didnt open our selves up to the dangers of tanking. We are clearly out of gas, beaten down, tired. Two weeks ago we could have given the Hawks a run for their money, now we would get swept. I think we will not make the playoffs at this point, and I personally would rather be 9th than 11th.

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'd rather see the team make the playoffs.  I think it'd be great for our young squad. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I hate to say it because I've been pro playoffs since day one, but with the way the team is looking, I'd rather draw the 9th pick in the draft.

The loss to Miami was VERY discouraging. Tonight's loss not so much because we were playing a vastly superior team, but there's no doubt if we make the playoffs we get bounced in the 1st round.

It just seems the post all-star break magic we had going is starting to wear out. Also, getting Isaiah was a big part of our post all star break success and he still isn't 100 percent.

The game tomorrow vs Charlotte should be very telling

Also, I feel like having the 9th pick is a MUCH more tempting form of trade bait than getting our asses kicked by Atlanta and drawing number 15.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
the game tonight with the clips is one more nail in the coffin of this argument. no way is this team close to being a playoff ready team. more talent is needed. ONE ROUTE to more talent is better draft position.

i prefer this season that the celtics have the #11-12 pick, and then trade up to #8-9. there should be some good talent event that deep into this draft.

I feel like you're not a real poster -- just a bot that searches the CB forum for "tanking" and includes links to libertyballers.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Very well said Senor Hwang. TP.

I think our team may have burned out after their hot run post Rondo/Green trades (when we played some bottom feeding teams and got some nice wins against some top 8 teams thrown in there).
Hopefully we can get into the top 10 picks.

Cleveland did alright last year with the 9th worst record I guess.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Right now the difference between the 15th and the 9th draft pick is a single game. You cannot tell me that you really believe that winning one more game is worth 6 picks. To trade up from 15 to 9 you would need to probably move the Clips pic, the Philly #2, and I highly doubt that would be enough anyway.

Cmon man, Ive been on the playoff bandwagon too, but the point is that we competed all year long. We didnt open our selves up to the dangers of tanking. We are clearly out of gas, beaten down, tired. Two weeks ago we could have given the Hawks a run for their money, now we would get swept. I think we will not make the playoffs at this point, and I personally would rather be 9th than 11th.

I still want to make the playoffs, If you want to tank then by all means support the team tanking and I won't stop you. But personally I want a playoff push.

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
Are people seriously downplaying the Celtics wins as "hot streaks" now?!

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

I think our team may have burned out after their hot run post Rondo/Green trades (when we played some bottom feeding teams and got some nice wins against some top 8 teams thrown in there).

It's called regressing to the mean. We were never a playoff caliber team, just a team that got a little hot..

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Are people seriously downplaying the Celtics wins as "hot streaks" now?!

Yes, just like basketball is a "game of runs" and the championship winner is usually the team that "gets hot at the right time." Sort of like how you say "Marcus Smart is like Marcus Banks; he's just playing well right now."

(If that's not you I apologize.)

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

I think the problem is this draft is really good from 4-8. Teams are not going to be giving up these spots cheaply.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

I think the problem is this draft is really good from 4-8. Teams are not going to be giving up these spots cheaply.
Basically I agree.  Draft is 8-9 deep. What I hope is that one or two teams make a bad decision, reach, or fall in love with a tourney performer. That might let a better player slide down 1 or 2 slots.

We can all be hopeful.  :)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

It's called regressing to the mean. We were never a playoff caliber team, just a team that got a little hot..

More like a team that played hard and bought in to Brad's system.

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
I'd much rather have the 9th pick than the 15th.  We need talent.  This team as constituted is not making any noise in the playoffs this year.  We should be thinking about what's best for the team going forward, not some pyhrric little useless trip to the playoffs where we're pounded in 4, or at best 5 games.  Clearly getting the 9th pick would move us closer to a championship  than that.

When I watched Winslow today I really wished we were picking high enough to get him.  No possible way he'd be there even at 9th though.  Sabonis looks to me to have a really high ceiling.  Hope he declares.  He ought to be available.

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
So if you want the Celtics to be out of playoffs you better hope that Brad has a mental breakdown or there's another season ending injury.